Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 1 Nov 2008, 15:19 (Ref:2325399)   #1
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What ever happened to Kelvin Burt?

I was watching highlights of the 1996 and 1997 BTCC the other day and noticed a young bloke driving a Volvo - his name was Kelvin Burt. He wasn't a bad driver, quite quick actually, just a little unreliable - and nowhere near the pace of Mr Rydell (my favourite BTCC driver ever!!)...
Anyway, found out from 1998 onwards he didn't compete in the BTCC anymore. Does anyone know what happened to him?
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 1 Nov 2008, 15:25 (Ref:2325400)   #2
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelvin_Burt

This should give some clues on what he did after his Volvo days.
Old 1 Nov 2008, 18:20 (Ref:2325464)   #3
Ed Peters
Racer

Ed Peters should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was planed for Kelvin to join Martyn Bell in the All About Property BMW in 2007/2008. But just as many plans go, failed to happened.
Old 2 Nov 2008, 02:27 (Ref:2325659)   #4
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelvin_Burt

This should give some clues on what he did after his Volvo days.
Thanks for your help mate.
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 2 Nov 2008, 10:27 (Ref:2325756)   #5
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Now does some commentary work : if you go on the SF website and find the highlights of the Zolder round he's there (oddly they had Andrew Mariott and Kelvin there, normally it's Jonathon Green and Bruce Jouanny).
Old 2 Nov 2008, 13:11 (Ref:2325853)   #6
Martin Haven
Veteran

England
Royal Leamington Spa
Martin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMartin Haven should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Kelvin is also working as expert analyst on Channel 4's coverage of the British F3 Championship (he won the title in 1993) and British GTs... and WTCC fans will have heard him putting up with working alongside me on Eurosport at Imola...

He coaches F3 drivers as well, so is often to be seen at F3 tracks...

It's about time someone dragged him back into a car, though, as he always had plenty of talent but just fell through the net...

his one-off appearance in Porsche Supercup at Indy a couple of years back and his pace in the British Supercup (pre-accident) at Thruxton are proof that the old fella still has what it takes...

top fellow, all round
Old 2 Nov 2008, 17:47 (Ref:2325984)   #7
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I cant help but feel that his crash at Oulton affected him slightly...
Old 3 Nov 2008, 20:51 (Ref:2327310)   #8
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Saw that, it was a little worrying for a while, the Volvo was destroyed.

He's the kind of driver who would do a great job in endurance racing.
Old 3 Nov 2008, 21:02 (Ref:2327324)   #9
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In my opinion he was one of the best single-seater drivers this country has produced. The side-step into Touring Cars took him off track, and I suspect spoiled what ought to have been a brilliant career. Whenever I hear him commentating I can't help thinking 'what a waste'.
Old 4 Nov 2008, 20:14 (Ref:2328175)   #10
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would have been interesting to see if Kelvin could have been ASCAR champion in 03, if he had stayed in the series.
Old 6 Nov 2008, 17:43 (Ref:2329569)   #11
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
bigears should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He recently drove in the British Porsche series (or was it last year?)

I remember him having a huge shunt at Thruxton where he flipped over some catch fencing!
Old 7 Nov 2008, 06:48 (Ref:2329838)   #12
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Footage of the crash here.
Old 7 Nov 2008, 12:08 (Ref:2329975)   #13
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
In my opinion he was one of the best single-seater drivers this country has produced. The side-step into Touring Cars took him off track, and I suspect spoiled what ought to have been a brilliant career. Whenever I hear him commentating I can't help thinking 'what a waste'.
Yes, very good driver. He was supposedly Jordan's F1 test driver in 1994, but I don't think he even got a run and that was the end of his single seater career I believe.

I think that he may have taken the BTCC gig because at that time he'd run out of options (money mainly) to have a proper stab at F3000.

Was as good as any of the other class pedallers in the Ecosse GT2 360 a few years back as well.....
Old 7 Nov 2008, 20:05 (Ref:2330278)   #14
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i hear he recently took part in the funcup races at the nurburgring, overtaking some 54 cars in his 1hr in the car!
Old 8 Nov 2008, 19:28 (Ref:2330749)   #15
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
He could have had quite the touring car career, too. He took the first win under the Supertouring class regs, iirc. I think he shared the drive, could have been interesting to see how he'd have panned out over a full season back then.
Old 8 Nov 2008, 21:52 (Ref:2330812)   #16
Victor Meldrew
Rookie

United Kingdom
Somewhere bleak.....
Victor Meldrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He is another one of so may British drivers whose talent exceeded their expectation; fantastic race driver - in all types of car.

But was he as good as Tommy Byrne?