Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 23 Dec 2008, 22:03 (Ref:2360449)   #1
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Christmas/New Year SketchUp Project

Here is the beginnings of a SketchUp project, as I've finally found the time to come up with a design for Christmas, like I said I would. I initially tried to find a way to convert one of my other tracks, but fel uninspired. So, I doodled on paper (no scanner where I am at the moment, so I can't upload, unfortunately) and I have now finished the outline to my track.

You will notice that I haven't placed ny pits at all, as I'm not sure where to place them both. I was thinking on the top most straight, the longest straight, and the strights on either side of the bottom sweeper as possilbe sites. ANy suggestion on location welcome.

Even so, I thought I would commit myself, as otherwise it'll end up getting deleted.

The longest circuit is between 6 and 7 km.
The two middle circuits are roughly 3 km each.

Main circuit will hopefully be anticlockwise, as it the bottom circuit loop when run separately, but the top loop is clockwise, as that allows the circuit to take advantage of that long straight more effectively. Having the other two anti clockwise means that the faster sweeping runn at the bottom of the image isn't wasted. Of course, this is the first revision,as I want to make the shape the best it can be, so It may change drastically. That also means that positive comments and constructive suggestions are all welcome.

May I wish you all a merry christmas and a Happy New Year.

Tathrim
Attached Thumbnails
Christmas Raceway.png  
Old 24 Dec 2008, 15:18 (Ref:2360805)   #2
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A very quick fiddle.

THe top section gets extended with a new section that I've bodged together to return back to the existing circuit. One pitlane now with paddock space on the top straight.

Other pitlane on the angled straight bottom left corner, entry before the parabollic corner, and dependong on length of the straight exit before or just after T1.

Depending on scale I've marked slight adjustments to the two tightest corners to open them a little. at scale this may not need to be done at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Christmas Raceway copy.jpg  
Old 24 Dec 2008, 18:24 (Ref:2360865)   #3
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Thanks for the drop in SBF, I'll add them later tonight, and post on Boxing day with an edit for reaction.
Old 26 Dec 2008, 01:06 (Ref:2361087)   #4
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Merry Xmas to you too Tathrim.

Here's where I'd put the pit lanes and I also changed the esses before the left-hand side pit straight a bit. The entrance to the right-hand side pit lane wouldn't look like that if it weren't for my Paint 'skills'. It's a lovely track BTW.
Attached Thumbnails
TW's Christmas Raceway pit lane placings.png  

Last edited by TilkeWannabe; 26 Dec 2008 at 01:08.
Old 26 Dec 2008, 23:02 (Ref:2361314)   #5
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
I feel that SBF has a better edit, but elements will be included. However, it'll have to be posted another time, as today has been very busy for me.
Old 26 Dec 2008, 23:25 (Ref:2361323)   #6
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks for the kind words ...it was only a quick hash at it, to give you some ideas.

If they work for you great !
Old 28 Dec 2008, 04:35 (Ref:2361710)   #7
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mine was quick too.
Old 28 Dec 2008, 18:03 (Ref:2361961)   #8
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Here is the latset version.

The first, most noticeable change that I've made is the alteration of the really long straight, after I found that is was around 1100 m. this has been changed, due to possible safety concerns, downsised the straight to two thirds of the original length. I have also massivley opened the corner preceeding, and opened the hairpin at the end as a result.

I have also extended the red straight and opened out the succeeding corner, to provide paddock space. this indirectly means that the hairpin in the middle of the pcture has been widened, and the green esses moved closer to the first green sweeper. The pit entrance to the green straight is on the bottom straight, and wil be extended to facilitate a safe entry to the pits.

There is a club circuit, two national circuits, two international circuits and a Grand Prix circuit, and is a facility designed to facilitate all forms of motorposrt, including F1.

The club circuit: Red White Red

The first national circuit: purple, yellow, cream, muddy green, purple.

The second national circuit: British Racing Green (BRG) and cyan.

The first international circuit: Red, orange, cream, muddy green, Purple, marine blue, red.

The second international circuit: BRG, dark blue, purple, yellow, cream, lime green, BRG

The GP circuit: The ones on the outside. three possible start places.

From Red: Red, orange, cream, Lime green, BRG, dark blue, purple marine blue, ped.

From BRG: BRG, dark blue, purple, marine blue, red, orange, cream, line green, BRG

From purple: Purple, marine blue, red, orange, cream lime green, BRG, Dark blue, purple.

All circuits, for clarification, are now counter clockwise, due to alteration of the purple section.

I will be making a more detailed model, starting on the 2nd Jan 2009, depending on the amount of criticism.

For reference, the straight isn the purple section is around 700m, and the Red straight is around 900m. I estimate the length of the GP circuit wo be around 6.5km, probably more.
Attached Thumbnails
Christmas Raceway v2.jpg  
Old 29 Dec 2008, 11:58 (Ref:2362247)   #9
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like the circuit - i personally would start from Red for the GP circuit
Old 29 Dec 2008, 13:54 (Ref:2362298)   #10
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Hmm, I see your point there, as all the starts are very similar now. Any suggestions to improve it matt?
Old 29 Dec 2008, 15:15 (Ref:2362330)   #11
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tathrim
Any suggestions to improve it matt?
I will think about it sometime maybe tomorrow, if i haven't got too much revision
Old 30 Dec 2008, 22:39 (Ref:2363008)   #12
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
As yes, dreaded revision. Hence I 've only just about found the time. Mechanics 1 and 2 start to make your head hurt after finishing both in a term. I'm just lucky this is only AS for me.
Old 30 Dec 2008, 23:07 (Ref:2363030)   #13
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
got mechanics 1, core 2 and history retakes from June cause i messed up
and now ive got three extras