Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Nov 2008, 09:29 (Ref:2339427)   #326
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 17 - F1 cars 1966-85

19 starters, 17 finishers for The Siverstone Classic Trophy race, Round 5 of the FIA Historic F1 championship over 25 mins, which would have been 15 laps but the chequered flag fell at 24.08.717, so 14 laps covered.

I can't honestly remember much about this race but Peter Sowerby, as in the first race, led the field from start to finish, again chased home by Joaquin Folch.

Abba Kogan finished 14th in his Matra 820D:-

The Surtees TS20-1 of Jeremy Smith was pretty striking. He was classified finished 16th but I'm sure was not running at the end having only covered 10 laps. His lap times would have seen him higher placed:-

Richard Eyre had finished 3rd the day before in the Williams FW08-3 but 5th was the best he could achieve on this occasion:-

Katsu Kobota took the Lotus 88B-2 to 3rd. Although this twin tub car, controversial in period and was never raced, I seem to have it stuck in my mind that both chassis are now running in historics - were they both at Brands earlier on in the year?

Abba Cogan passes the smoking Ensign N180 which David Abbott has pulled off the track, and is extracting himself from:-

Peter Sowerby laps the Shadow DN9 (30) of Michel Baudoin on his way to winning in the Williams FW07C-14:-

My recollection is that Sowerby had this race comfortably (just as the day before) and was not challenged by Folch, but the results sheets show that the Brabham BT49C-10 was only 0.231 secs behind at the end. So was there a late problem for Sowerby, because even if he had backed off, I'm sure that he wouldn't have wanted quite so close a finish:-

Last edited by John Turner; 22 Nov 2008 at 09:31.
Old 22 Nov 2008, 10:02 (Ref:2339443)   #327
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Katsu Kobota took the Lotus 88B-2 to 3rd. Although this twin tub car, controversial in period and was never raced, I seem to have it stuck in my mind that both chassis are now running in historics - were they both at Brands earlier on in the year?
I believe so; from memory Dan Collins was racing Lotus 88B-1 at Brands.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 10:04 (Ref:2342008)   #328
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 18 - The Roy Salvadori Trophy Race for Historic Astons

A 20 minute race, sponsored by Scalextric for Aston Martins, 1931-59, this brought out a wonderful range of these great cars plus one closely related interloper, the Lagonda 4.5litre V12 driven by Darren McWhirter. There were 3DBR1/300s entered, and two actually raced. Fortunately one of them was the quickest of the three, and the actual 1959 Le Mans winner, driven by Nick Leventis, otherwise the Lagonda would have won, which, notwithstanding its close family links, might have looked a trifle odd to a significant number of the spectators! Here Leventis is leading McWhirter early on:-

The Lagonda stayed close to the DBR1 for a while but gradually Leventis eased away, winning by 12 seconds. McWhirter was well clear of 3rd place though and his best lap was just a quarter of a second shy of Leventis. The family resemblance is striking in this shot of the Lagonda. It looks like big DB3S:-

All my shots for this race and the previous one were taken at Maggotts, which I'd not tried before this meeting, and it turned out to be a bit restrictive in terms of variety of angles, so most of the shots are rather similar. This is Martin McGlone's DB3S in the final incarnation of the DB3S body - for many years, I believe there was not a 3S around carrying the original shape but pleasingly, one was recently restored to original shape, although it was not at this race. McGlone was 4th behind the DB3S of Jeffery Pattinson:-

The DB3 was a proper sports racing car, not to be confused with the DB2/4MkIII, a later road car. Even now commentator's occasionally call the latter a DB3. This is the real deal. Only 10 were built, 1952-53 and were generally unsuccessful because they were underpowered, too heavy and often unreliable. Best results were a win in the Goodwood 9 hours in 1952, a 2nd at Sebring 12 hours, and a 5th in the Mille Miglia, both in 1953, so the potential was there. They were however replaced by the lighter and more successful 3S, already being developed during the course of 1953. This is Adrian Johnson's DB3 which sadly lasted but one lap:-

Jim Campbell in LM19, one of the famous prewar works Ulsters. He finished 23rd:-

The MkII of William l'Anson Rendcombe which finished 31st:-

Donald Flatt's DB2/4, given as a 1953 car in the programme so should be a Mk1 although apparently fitted with the later 3-litre engine. The early 2/4s were originally fitted with 2.6 litre engines. Flatt finished 13th:-

Another DB3. The only one fitted (currently) with a coupe body which viewed from the front does not flatter it! I've mentioned this car before; it's DB3/7, once owned by Angela Brown, currently owned by Urs Mueller and driven in this race by his wife, Arlette, to 18th. Urs himself finished 5th in a DB3S:-

LM20 another of the ex works Ulsters. Julian Draper finished 20th:-

Now this is Mark Campbell (having got his car confused with his father's on the Donington thread) in another DB2/4 Mk1 but a later car than that of Flatt. Mark, a 10-Tenther and a very active member and competition secretary of AMOC (Martin Atack is its new overall Competition Manager), has been responsible for getting the pre 1960 Astons out this year, so well done him. He finished 21st:-

And that, finally, is that. The next race was for Formula Juniors, but I watched that from the media centre, and decided after that it was time to head home, so missed both the last of the races for 1966-78 F1 cars, and the 90 minute race for Group C cars. Outrageous though it may seem, and it had been a superb weekend, probably the hottest of the summer with loads of fabulous cars and racing, I'd had enough by then.

Last edited by John Turner; 26 Nov 2008 at 10:08.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 12:59 (Ref:2342085)   #329
Alan Crook
Veteran

Alan Crook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=John Turner]19 starters, 17 finishers for The Siverstone Classic Trophy race, Round 5 of the FIA Historic F1 championship over 25 mins, which would have been 15 laps but the chequered flag fell at 24.08.717, so 14 laps covered.

John the race was actually changed to a 14 lap race (honest I put the chequered flag out at the correct time).
Old 26 Nov 2008, 13:57 (Ref:2342133)   #330
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Great set of reports and photos John. Brings back, on a cold, grey and damp November day, what a great weekend it was.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 16:00 (Ref:2342216)   #331
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Thank you, Alan and John.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 20:05 (Ref:2342370)   #332
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
And that, finally, is that. The next race was for Formula Juniors, but I watched that from the media centre, and decided after that it was time to head home, so missed both the last of the races for 1966-78 F1 cars, and the 90 minute race for Group C cars. Outrageous though it may seem, and it had been a superb weekend, probably the hottest of the summer with loads of fabulous cars and racing, I'd had enough by then.
Great report, as usual, thank you John. I couldn't make it this year and this has to be the next best thing.

Last edited by John Turner; 29 Nov 2008 at 11:31.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 23:02 (Ref:2342475)   #333
lml698
Racer

England
Glos
lml698 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will also add my congrats to John and his camera. a great feat of endurance especially as he did it last year as well. Lets hope the 2009 event is as good. I see there is still no news on which races will be run. crossed fingers all round !!!! I just hope they keep the Historic feel to the meeting.
Old 27 Nov 2008, 03:25 (Ref:2342558)   #334
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks John,

From this far away its good to see those pics and your reports. A bit like Motorsport used to be.
Old 27 Nov 2008, 08:11 (Ref:2342610)   #335
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Thank you, all. I must admit that I had not intended it take so long. I still have 6 more meetings to complete but, at least they are not quite as old or as big!
Old 20 Dec 2008, 14:14 (Ref:2358838)   #336
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Motors TV are re running the Classic details here - http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...33#post2358833
Old 31 Dec 2008, 17:44 (Ref:2363413)   #337
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
We are not permitted to submit press releases on the forum but I have today received a press release from Motion works which I have sent on to www.ParcFerme.com, who hopefully will publish it. In essence it seems that the financial outcome of the 08 Festival was not up to the expectations and as such Classic Automotive Events Limited, who subsequently changed their name to CAE (Silverstone) Limited (CAE), have decided that Motion works, who were the organizers (and indeed had a 5 year contract) are to be replaced.

Interesting times.

As soon as the press release is published I'll point it out to posters but it may be an idea to look at www.parcferme.com.

For my part, based upon the feedback we've seen on the forum I think roger Etcell did a great job so anyone following on will have a hard act to follow.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 17:55 (Ref:2363420)   #338
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Yep agree Peter.As a team running several different cars everyone was most helfull towards me.and my team.
Old 1 Jan 2009, 10:49 (Ref:2363610)   #339
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to Motorsport,Masters will be playing a large part in the organisation but HSCC will possibly be doing some of the races.
Old 1 Jan 2009, 20:39 (Ref:2363775)   #340
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The reason for starting the 2009 thread months ago was that it was obvious that Motion Works who made such a good job last year and have reinvented the London Brighton were being worked over by BRDC and you wonder why Bernie has a problem with them.Festival made money but the new gang led by BRDC think they can make more and we can return to the mess of 06 and 07.Grab defeat from the jaws of victory.Another cock up.

The clever people who post on here decided to stop the 2009 thread and had no idea of the impending cock up.

We have preperation people losing business,less sales or no sales.Less people racing and now the great BRDC are intent on wrecking one of the only things that improved in UK in 08