Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 13 Jan 2009, 23:49 (Ref:2371013)   #1
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hans Clip Fitting

I got my GP5 done last year at Phoenix (Arai UK) they charged me 75 inc clips. I have another GP5 that needs to be clipped and the price has shot to £140!!

I was told by Phoenix that there is no one in the UK who can clip Arai helmets and that only Arai Holland can do it.

Well what a load of bull**** that is! What a stupid rule!!

What is to stop me from buying a set of clips and fitting them myself? OK it wont have the FIA sticker, but that is only needed for European races.

Do the MSA scrutineers need to see a lable of somesort for MSA /UK compliance?
Old 13 Jan 2009, 23:56 (Ref:2371015)   #2
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ah yes but you may impail ya forhead with the 6" wood screw you used to hold the clip on at the front of you helmet, then realise its in the wrong place and turn your arai into swiss cheese with all the holes in it,init......
Old 14 Jan 2009, 05:44 (Ref:2371113)   #3
RF_Racer
Veteran

no mate, the holes are pre drilled, I have built engines and gearboxes in the past, so I think I have enough mechinical aptitude to fit a few clips!
Old 14 Jan 2009, 09:57 (Ref:2371217)   #4
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Alan Cherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF_Racer
no mate, the holes are pre drilled, I have built engines and gearboxes in the past, so I think I have enough mechinical aptitude to fit a few clips!
You can get the clips for £50 +vat (£57.50) . Like you, I have a pre drilled Helmet with little plastic bungs in from the manufacturers. Take a look at
http://www.fia.com/en-GB/sport/regulations/Pages/Drivers'Equipment.aspx
then Technical List N°28 Material for the upper surface of the hans-yoke in contact with the shoulder straps - published on: 24.12.2004 page 26 and you'll find the sticker that you are paying £82.50 for !!!!
I understand that there must be standards in motorsport, and you can't just have anyone drilling holes in a piece of kit like a crash helmet, but helmets that are pre drilled, and made for the fittings - It does seem a bit ridiculous that a competent person cannot fit them themselves - perhaps they should be allowed if checked by an authorised scrutineer. After all, scrutineers are allowed to issue approval stickers for helmets, so why not hans posts !
Old 14 Jan 2009, 10:49 (Ref:2371232)   #5
RF_Racer
Veteran

My question, what if I buy a set of clips and fit them myself, would the MSA scrutineers notice? I know the european ones look for the FIA sticker.
Old 14 Jan 2009, 13:43 (Ref:2371320)   #6
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good question! Reckon it's one for the MSA, report back when you hear please!
Old 14 Jan 2009, 14:17 (Ref:2371343)   #7
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
So, if you put the clips on you need an extra sticker? If you take them off, you just need the usual helmet sticker?

Now, I don't know how much effort is involved in putting these on/off, but presumably you could get you helmet scrooted without the clips, then put them on for the race? Would anyone notice? I doubt it. You would have hoped that the MSA would be encouraging use of HANS, not actively discouraging it.

And £50 for two small bolts? Welcome to rip off motorsport ltd.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 14 Jan 2009, 15:56 (Ref:2371398)   #8
S14GJC
Rookie

United Kingdom
S14GJC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too am in this situation with an Arai GP5. I think it is to do with the angle of the clips working with the HANS, hence you need it done by Arai Holland who are the only place in Europe with an Arai representitive from Japan to do it.

It's no big drama sending it there really it's gone for 10 days max. You may wonder why you did fit them if you fit the clips yourself and need the HANS finding it didn't work, brave call! Plus nobody can just get hold of an FIA sticker either.
Old 14 Jan 2009, 16:03 (Ref:2371402)   #9
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF_Racer
I got my GP5 done last year at Phoenix (Arai UK) they charged me 75 inc clips. I have another GP5 that needs to be clipped and the price has shot to £140!!

I was told by Phoenix that there is no one in the UK who can clip Arai helmets and that only Arai Holland can do it.

Well what a load of bull**** that is! What a stupid rule!!

What is to stop me from buying a set of clips and fitting them myself? OK it wont have the FIA sticker, but that is only needed for European races.

Do the MSA scrutineers need to see a lable of somesort for MSA /UK compliance?
I have some experience that may help....

I bought my HANS to go with my Arai GP5K just before they started putting FIA logos on the posts (clips as you call them). My helmet was predrilled with plugs so when I bought the HANS I asked my supplier (DT) if I could buy the posts and fit them myself. They said I could, but it was tricky to do a neat job getting the lining back in place. They said they were approved installers and if I sent them the helmet they would be happy to do if for me at no extra cost (bout £50 as I remember). I sent it off and they not only did a nice job, but also stuck a "HANS approved installer" label inside the lid with the serial number of HANS on it, and a certificate to confirm same.

In three years of club racing in the UK, I've had four scrutineers comment on the lack of FIA logo on the posts. All were satisfied with the answer that I bought them before the logo was introduced. I've had two scrutineers ask who installed the posts. Both were satisfied with the "HANS approved installer" label inside the helmet.

So FWIW, I suggest shopping round any HANS/Helmet suppliers you can find and ask how much for a set of posts and an "Approved Installer" label, fitted if you supply a pre-drilled helmet.

Good luck
Old 14 Jan 2009, 19:43 (Ref:2371534)   #10
scrutineer
Racer

scrutineer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I personally do look for the sticker and question anything I am not happy with. I am all for HANS but if its not fitted correctly then it could make it worse. Like any bit of kit it needs to be done properly, and if you take a risk on your head (or neck) be it.
Many helmets now are supplied with HANS post as standard but obviously some older helmets wernt but it is good to see people looking to upgrade and go with HANS, credit to you all.
Although I have to agree that its a bit sh** if you have to send it away to Holland to get it done.
Old 14 Jan 2009, 21:17 (Ref:2371614)   #11
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As RF already knows by now, Arai Holland are by far the "cheapest". They only want 120 Euro for the clips, the fitting and the FIA approval sticker, that is what they said to me today.

Don't forget that every helmet manufacturer has to hand in a list what helmet has which sticker, as they have numbers. Sad I know, but that is the way.
And yes, the clips need to be placed in a certain angle to work properly.
Old 14 Jan 2009, 23:24 (Ref:2371690)   #12
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V
As RF already knows by now, Arai Holland are by far the "cheapest". They only want 120 Euro for the clips, the fitting and the FIA approval sticker, that is what they said to me today.

Don't forget that every helmet manufacturer has to hand in a list what helmet has which sticker, as they have numbers. Sad I know, but that is the way.
And yes, the clips need to be placed in a certain angle to work properly.
Eddy, I see that there are 3 approved installers for HANS posts for OMP in Belgium, but onl one in the UK (DT) The UK price works out to £125 with vat -presumably plus postage- I don't suppose you know any of the said approved Belgian suppliers, and how much they charge. - I should be going across to Belgium in may and June, and possibly the ring in April, so may be able to drop helmet off if suppliers are close to route. May - shopping with wife for the weekend in Bruges, June should be at Spa -mmm! I'd have to drop the helmet off on the way home for that one! I've got another FIA approved helmet (only worn it twice) but it gives me a terrible headache if I wear it for more than about 15 mins - and I tried it on in the shop.

Thanks
Alan
Old 15 Jan 2009, 07:22 (Ref:2371788)   #13
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which ones are they Alan?
I doubt they install that themselves, but still it could be.
Old 15 Jan 2009, 08:19 (Ref:2371809)   #14
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Hans plus the fear factor = £££££'s What a load of old cobblers, how can you fit a bloody post wrong into two pre drilled holes if they gave you the full instructions including torque figures, this whole HANS thing is just one big rip off as I see it.
Old 15 Jan 2009, 10:03 (Ref:2371869)   #15
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V
Which ones are they Alan?
I doubt they install that themselves, but still it could be.
Eddy,
According to OMP, they are :-

Belgium
R-Power
Bolksedijk 12
2310 Rijkevorsel
Antwerpen - Belgium
tel/fax 0032 33146282

ADS RACING SPRL
Dreve du tumulus 60
1495 Villers la Ville - Belgium
tel 0032 47 2646312 / fax 0032 2 3511721

TYS DESIGN
Rue du Canal 99
1000 Brussels - BELGIUM
tel 0032 475235430

according to the OMP web site, it says: - Dealers authorised by OMP racing for installing Hans® device.
The following Hans device dealers are authorised to install Hans clips exclusively on predrilled
helmets manufactured by OMP. It is not possible to install these clips on helmets of
other manufacturers.
Mother inlaws next door neighbour is half Belgian, and har family are always popping over - may be able to arrange something. Her next door neighbours brother used to work for Bernie Ecclestone in the early days (he's 80 now) but has some interesting tales ! Apparently, they used to call him 'titch'- but thats another story !

Thanks
Alan
Old 15 Jan 2009, 10:05 (Ref:2371870)   #16
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Hans plus the fear factor = £££££'s What a load of old cobblers, how can you fit a bloody post wrong into two pre drilled holes if they gave you the full instructions including torque figures, this whole HANS thing is just one big rip off as I see it.
Al,
I cannot disagree with you !
Old 15 Jan 2009, 11:59 (Ref:2371932)   #17
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
They will be telling us next we can't fit our own seat belts!
Old 15 Jan 2009, 19:19 (Ref:2372222)   #18
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
That is one of the typical FIA things, isn't it? Every nincompoop is allowed to install a rollcage and a seat but not two simple clips.
Old 16 Jan 2009, 12:54 (Ref:2372661)   #19
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrutineer
I personally do look for the sticker and question anything I am not happy with. I am all for HANS but if its not fitted correctly then it could make it worse. Like any bit of kit it needs to be done properly, and if you take a risk on your head (or neck) be it.
Many helmets now are supplied with HANS post as standard but obviously some older helmets wernt but it is good to see people looking to upgrade and go with HANS, credit to you all.
Although I have to agree that its a bit sh** if you have to send it away to Holland to get it done.
Just a honest question, but how can an 'incorrectly' fitted clip make things worse? I ask because I would have thought it relates to angles of straps to the HANS device itself, surely the clips cannot be fitted at the correct angle unless done whilst the driver is present and wearing the HANS device itself. Which makes a mockery of sending the helmet away to have them fitted.

Also, what constitutes a incorrectly fitted clip?
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.

Tags
hans