Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 2 Mar 2009, 08:29 (Ref:2407172)   #1
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC Friday test days

So, my week snowboarding, and couple of days off for the GP are no longer requried, and since I now have holiday to spare, I quite fancy the idea of going to some of the BTCC weekends I'm doing a day early and watching &/or getting involved in Friday testing.

Can anybody advise me on what's involved? Will I be able to get in on my standard tickets (e.g. on a Thursday night or early on Friday)? Do they need marshals for test days? Who do I speak to about volunteering?
Old 2 Mar 2009, 11:05 (Ref:2407273)   #2
Col_Rugby
Pancake Botherer
Racer

England
Rugby
Col_Rugby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I spoke with someone last year about this, just in general coversation, & was told that it's the circuit staff that cover the Fridays on BTCC weekends. I think it's along the same lines as WSR last year which was covered by Silverstones circuit staff.

If I was you I'd drop Becki at BARC an e-mail & ask the question.

Let us know the answer the please mate.

Col
Old 2 Mar 2009, 15:23 (Ref:2407416)   #3
Stack
Veteran

Thailand
Leicester but dreaming of Thailand
Stack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep circuit staff usually do test days but if you are marshalling the event anyway I see no problem with just going to watch, especially if you are camping over.

“Beer is not the answer........Beer is the question .........The answer is yes.”
Old 2 Mar 2009, 17:34 (Ref:2407490)   #4
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been to few meetings a day early (although not BTCC) and whilst I've not marshalled, its never been a problem to do a bit of spectating. I personally quite enjoy it, particularly if its a circuit I don't go to much.

I would suggest that you contact the circuit before you travel to a) ascertain that you can gain admittance and b) to check that testing is taking place. The reason I add the second point is that at one or two circuits (such as Thruxton), I don't think testing takes place on the Friday.
Old 2 Mar 2009, 18:54 (Ref:2407523)   #5
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the reason to why BTCC get long free practice sessions on the weekend is because they are not allowed to test on the friday,unless its changed over the last 2 seasons,thats the way it has been
Old 2 Mar 2009, 19:12 (Ref:2407531)   #6
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think you're right Gary, BTCC do not test on Fridays. Usually the support races have free practice on that day.
Old 3 Mar 2009, 20:25 (Ref:2408376)   #7
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Also bear in mind that if you do get to marshal (Paid or otherwise) it's not an MSA sanctioned "Event" and as such you wouldn't be covered by their insurance (Or that of the BMMC if a member)
Old 3 Mar 2009, 21:20 (Ref:2408433)   #8
Norbert
Racer

England
Norbert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell View Post
Also bear in mind that if you do get to marshal (Paid or otherwise) it's not an MSA sanctioned "Event" and as such you wouldn't be covered by their insurance (Or that of the BMMC if a member)
BMMC insurance will cover you for all 'organised' motor sport events, not just MSA affiliated, provided you register your attendance with your regional competition secretary beforehand.
Old 3 Mar 2009, 21:47 (Ref:2408449)   #9
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You call the BTCC Organised? LOL
Old 4 Mar 2009, 09:18 (Ref:2408681)   #10
Norbert
Racer

England
Norbert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell View Post
You call the BTCC Organised? LOL
That is one word for it!
Old 4 Mar 2009, 10:52 (Ref:2408736)   #11
Ty Nicholson
Racer

Ty Nicholson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have covered the Friday support races test day @ Knockhill both as a paid (by KRC) marshal and more latterly as part of SMMC Rescue unit crew who are hired for the day by Knockhill Race Circuit. Not the MSA, BTCC or the support race championships, but KRC. Even when BTCC tested on a Friday (can you remember when they tested on Thursaday as well?) it was in a private organisation capacity, not an MSA organised event. That's why I sign on as Knockhill Staff for the test day to ensure I am covered by the Staff and Contractors Insurance Policy.