Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 27 Apr 2009, 16:08 (Ref:2450802)   #476
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That interview with Lewis was the best I have ever seen. He opened up like I have never previously seen, all credit to JH. I think the BBC have really hit the ground running. They are doing interviews with people which feel more like intimate conversations. The awesome thing is that they are going to get better and better. Perfection would be for B.E, to release the HD feed.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 17:35 (Ref:2450875)   #477
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I miss James Allen.

There, I said it.
If the feeling is really strong, you can find him on Twitter. During an F1 weekend he tweets away like a manic budgerigar.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 19:19 (Ref:2450966)   #478
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Listen, there are some big problems with the coverage and they are:

- They do not use McKenzie/Kravitz as well as ITV used Goodman/Kravitz. I don't recall hearing McKenzie at all during the race yesterday.
- Young Humphreys there dumbs it right down as though he's talking to the five-twelve year olds he well versed in talking to.
- EJ, I'm sorry, he's useless and he often warbles on. I can't believe he lasted so long in Formula One with some of the stuff he says sometimes.
- The introduction is just a bunch of tacky, boy racing graphics, I'd have liked to see something a bit like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtms1IppbPg
- They didn't call the programme 'Grand Prix'
- They insist on doing what ITV did and host the bladdy thing from the pits. I'm not being funny, but what was wrong with a studio? Get down to McKenzie and Kravitz in the pits every couple of minutes... it gets too noisy, I sometimes wonder if they actually think about people like me, I'm really hard of hearing.
- Legard is a bit pants. He started the Bahrain GP commentary by making a reference to some guy who held his breath under water and then didn't link it whatsoever. He often talks about irrelevant things, misses a hell of a lot of what is going on, and gets on Brundle's nerves quite a bit.
- They should have features like ITV had, one with Murray would be great!

However, there are some great points:

- The 'Forum' is fantastic
- The Chain!!
- DC for me is showing some potential as a broadcaster. He's not quite savvy enough yet but neither was Martin in the early days.

I don't know, I have a feeling I'm going to here 'you're a whinge' etc.. but whatever, I'm right
Old 27 Apr 2009, 19:30 (Ref:2450981)   #479
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and the website is cracking
Old 27 Apr 2009, 19:32 (Ref:2450985)   #480
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't agree with you on most of your points but the intro on Youtube is way better. I cut the ITV one up and re edited it with some footage of my friends daughter in the Red Bull garage at Silverstone last year. She was one of the Red Bull girls (Unas they were calling them).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/forever...ys/3470808746/
Old 28 Apr 2009, 20:58 (Ref:2451829)   #481
andybg40
Racer

England
Kent
andybg40 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Something that i came across tonight, which may have already been mentioned here, is the circuit guide section of the BBC F1 website

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...efault.stm#top

This is a really great idea, especially the drivers lap section. Although many of the videos are yet to be uploaded, the concept is brilliant. Plus, you Webberites can get your fix as he provides the commentary for the laps.

This may be a case of simple things and all that, but i like it
Old 29 Apr 2009, 09:30 (Ref:2452067)   #482
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybg40 View Post
Something that i came across tonight, which may have already been mentioned here, is the circuit guide section of the BBC F1 website

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...efault.stm#top

This is a really great idea, especially the drivers lap section. Although many of the videos are yet to be uploaded, the concept is brilliant. Plus, you Webberites can get your fix as he provides the commentary for the laps.

This may be a case of simple things and all that, but i like it
The best ideas are always the simple ones .

Typically, the drivers lap thingy isn't available on the international service because of rights restrictions, but the fly through bit is pretty good .
Old 30 Apr 2009, 13:34 (Ref:2452905)   #483
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Thought I'd post this as many are likely to miss it due to no promotion. From Andrew Benson's BBC blog:

Quote:
Re: the Senna documentary question, the award-winning film "Senna" - featuring Alain Prost and Damon Hill, among others - which was shown first on 1 January 1995, and which won awards, will be available on the Red Button and on-demand on the BBC Sport website from tomorrow morning.
It was an excellent tribute to Senna, not one to miss if you haven't seen it before.
Old 5 May 2009, 01:22 (Ref:2455545)   #484
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
According to the BBC website, there will be no coverage of Free Practice 3 this weekend, as well as there being some absences from their normally extensive radio coverage...
Old 5 May 2009, 05:03 (Ref:2455581)   #485
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Worrying.
Old 5 May 2009, 07:53 (Ref:2455636)   #486
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not really, there is a Test Match on which I would imagine explains most of it - this will be live on R5LSX.
Old 5 May 2009, 19:45 (Ref:2456060)   #487
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Cricket. *facepalm*
Old 8 May 2009, 13:42 (Ref:2457969)   #488
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Cricket. *facepalm*
Some people I know actually like motor racing and cricket.

Anyway, if England continue to spank the West Indies the match could be over before P3 tomorrow.
Old 8 May 2009, 13:55 (Ref:2457977)   #489
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To quote Jermey Clarkson, "anybody who thinks that cricket is as entertaining as motorsport, are the sort of people who think that fish are insects and that the pope is a water buffalo"
Old 8 May 2009, 14:09 (Ref:2457984)   #490
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just finished watching second practice and must comment on the fact that whilst the sound of a high revving F1 engine is music to my ears, I do not need it to overpower the commentry, shut the commentry box door beeb, particularly when imparting news on what Max or Bernie might or might not be upto next.
Old 13 May 2009, 15:24 (Ref:2461738)   #491
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by shambles View Post

- They do not use McKenzie/Kravitz as well as ITV used Goodman/Kravitz. I don't recall hearing McKenzie at all during the race yesterday.
- Young Humphreys there dumbs it right down as though he's talking to the five-twelve year olds he well versed in talking to.
- EJ, I'm sorry, he's useless and he often warbles on. I can't believe he lasted so long in Formula One with some of the stuff he says sometimes.
- The introduction is just a bunch of tacky, boy racing graphics, I'd have liked to see something a bit like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtms1IppbPg
- They insist on doing what ITV did and host the bladdy thing from the pits. I'm not being funny, but what was wrong with a studio? Get down to McKenzie and Kravitz in the pits every couple of minutes... it gets too noisy, I sometimes wonder if they actually think about people like me, I'm really hard of hearing.
- Legard is a bit pants. He started the Bahrain GP commentary by making a reference to some guy who held his breath under water and then didn't link it whatsoever. He often talks about irrelevant things, misses a hell of a lot of what is going on, and gets on Brundle's nerves quite a bit.

- The Chain!!
- DC for me is showing some potential as a broadcaster. He's not quite savvy enough yet but neither was Martin in the early days.

I don't know, I have a feeling I'm going to here 'you're a whinge' etc.. but whatever, I'm right
Reckon you've got that just about spot on.

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this (I didn't really feel like trawling through 500 odd posts to check) but I love the classic Grands Prix loop on the red button. There were some great memories of past Spanish Grands Prix last week - I assume they show classic races from each Grand Prix in the week leading up? Anyway - brilliant to see this stuff again.
Old 13 May 2009, 15:32 (Ref:2461745)   #492
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
I like the Youtube video, the BBC titles are pants.
Old 13 May 2009, 17:14 (Ref:2461838)   #493
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The BBC have the CGI intro because it's produced in High Definition, so they're ready for when FOM goes HD, which should be in 2010 (if there's still an F1 in 2010 to show ) if we're lucky.
Old 13 May 2009, 18:07 (Ref:2461857)   #494
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by shambles View Post

- The Chain!!

I have sympathy with much of what you say however there are some points where I really can't agree.

ITV introduced the program from the pits because they could, it was pointless as well as noisy but the BBC team have managed to go into the garages and talk to some of the key figures in the pitlane during the build up, for me this is at least a reason why they are there and I have found that interesting.

I am not bothered that Jake is not a real F1 insider, his role is to pull it all together so as long as the rest of the team have the in depth knowledge I'm ok with that.

Got to agree about Eddie, I expected so much when I heard he was involved and have been soooo dissapointed. If only they could ditch him and get Mike Gascoigne full time.

Legard I am gradually learning to dislike, like many others I feel he is failing to adapt from radio to TV and he still sounds like a tired cliche from the world of horse racing.

The intro is total crap but I just shut my eyes and enjoy the music.

Overall though it is a million miles better than ITV's efforts especially as they are covering so much more of the event and the history.

I suspect Legard and Eddie are contracted for the year and there is no chance of them being ditched this season
Old 5 Jun 2009, 07:33 (Ref:2475795)   #495
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I'm just watching/listening to coverage of the first practice session from Istanbul and have to say I think Anthony Davidson is excellent. He seems to have the ability to explain anything he's asked in simple but authorative terms. It's a shame he's not got a drive in F1 this year, but that's to our advantage having him available on the BBC. I wish they'd use him more...
Old 5 Jun 2009, 09:32 (Ref:2475858)   #496
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He's already pretty busy, commentating on two of the three free practice sessions, qualifying and the race.
Old 9 Jun 2009, 10:36 (Ref:2478277)   #497
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I must say I am enjoying the programmes but where does A Davidson fit in, I am missing that?
Old 9 Jun 2009, 12:05 (Ref:2478336)   #498
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He is the co commentator for Radio 5Live, which means we get him on the red button for practice 1 & 3, and as an alternative audio option for qually and race. For the last few races I have found myself switching to the Croft/Davidson option as a preference - Crofty is pretty good and Ant is outstanding.
Old 9 Jun 2009, 12:42 (Ref:2478354)   #499
olly83
Racer

United Kingdom
olly83 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the first time last weekend, I tuned into the 5live commentary during the race after I got fed up of listening to Legards ramblings and I have to say I was really impressed. Croft and Davidson know their stuff and are clear and articulate. They have a good banter between them which sounds like they are enjoying themselves. There seemed to be alot more info from Holly Samos in the pits than you usually get from Ted and Whatshername!

I only felt guilty because my lloyalty to Brundle is what's made me persevere with the standard commentary for so long!!
Old 9 Jun 2009, 12:49 (Ref:2478363)   #500
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by olly83 View Post
For the first time last weekend, I tuned into the 5live commentary during the race after I got fed up of listening to Legards ramblings and I have to say I was really impressed. Croft and Davidson know their stuff and are clear and articulate. They have a good banter between them which sounds like they are enjoying themselves. There seemed to be alot more info from Holly Samos in the pits than you usually get from Ted and Whatshername!

I only felt guilty because my lloyalty to Brundle is what's made me persevere with the standard commentary for so long!
!
That's the reason I'm staying with the 'standard' commentary team too (for now).
Plus, I must say I do like the Brundle / Coulthard double act on the grid walk is excellent!