Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 19 Aug 2009, 16:39 (Ref:2524467)   #1
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans Information Bank

Hi Everyone.

I was trying to find some old Le Mans weights from 1996, when it occured to me that this sort of information is incredibly hard to find and yet its supposed to be a critical part of the Le Mans regulations, and history. For example, the importance of the Mazda 787's victory is explained partly through its weight.

Maybe it should be a sticky thread.

10Tenths would do well to have a dedicated repsitory of such crucial information, so that a person can find it at anytime.

Rather than hunting through the whole site, or even a thread, the admin could make a nice neat list showing the car number, make, class, and WEIGHT.

I think the benefits would be that more forum members would be able to learn about cars and classes, and how sportscar racing has different types of cars racing each other. Also, it serves as a standard for information used in discussions, a reference point - "as you can see the same car two years later was much lighter.." for example.

Until this time, would someone be able to help me out with the 1996 car weights?

I am hoping to have each each car weight and not just the Le mans average for all of the Porsches for example.

Maybe in some format like:

#1 Make Model (Team?) Weight

Also some definition of what the weight is, eg the car with driver, full fuel, and the driver holding a live chicken.. or whatever.

I have bought a couple of the books of Le mans, but it is so hard to get them now from the 1995, 1996, 1997 years, that I feel I will never be able to find out. I want to compile some sort of database that currently exists nowhere on the internet at all.

While some people have two or even three copies of these year books, in a bookcase somewhere, the rest of us are in the dark watching the years slip by.

I hope this suggestion will strike a chord amongst those that have the ability to provide some of this historical record.

Thanks in advance,
Splatz.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 16:58 (Ref:2524480)   #2
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm, I do not see anything in there but something of that nature shoud be in the Historic Racing & Motorsport History forum of 10 Tenths. If you do not know of this, there is a forum jump selection at the bottom of each forum where you can select different forums. Use the drop down box and select where you wish to go. I would contact TimD, John Turner or chunterer as they seem to be the keeper of the keys in that area of 10 Tenths.

ps. You might also try Aysedasi.

L.P.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 18:23 (Ref:2524519)   #3
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatz the Cow View Post
Hi Everyone.

I was trying to find some old Le Mans weights from 1996, when it occured to me that this sort of information is incredibly hard to find and yet its supposed to be a critical part of the Le Mans regulations, and history. For example, the importance of the Mazda 787's victory is explained partly through its weight.

Splatz.
The LeMans site, in its History Section, lists the weight of each car in the race.

See here: http://www.lemans.org/24heuresdumans...orique_gb.html

I just noticied, they don't have it for 2008, but do have it for every year before that going pretty far back.
DK
Old 26 Aug 2009, 12:24 (Ref:2528531)   #4
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I have been there a hundred times and never found that!

Sorry guys my bad. What's weird is I have been searching by google for years for that info...

Thanks for the links HAWNDAWG and dxk1 - well worth it.