Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 23 Oct 2009, 06:03 (Ref:2567651)   #1426
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is someone going to change the thread title?
Old 23 Oct 2009, 06:11 (Ref:2567653)   #1427
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Is someone going to change the thread title?
Nah...it's a piece of motorsport history
Old 23 Oct 2009, 07:50 (Ref:2567700)   #1428
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Whither, Donoington, now?

(Cries of SHAME from honourable members...)
Old 23 Oct 2009, 08:15 (Ref:2567707)   #1429
Dave 455
Racer

Dave 455 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given another deadline.

They have until Monday now ! :-

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79681
Old 23 Oct 2009, 08:18 (Ref:2567709)   #1430
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Whither, Donoington, now?

(Cries of SHAME from honourable members...)
Donington still prolonging the agony..

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79681

"Donington Park says it has until midday on Monday to sort out its financial planning for the British Grand Prix, after confirming efforts to raise a £135 million bond have failed."

and

"Information regarding the circuit's future plans is not yet available, however the major focus is on providing security for the Leicestershire venue and all related parties, including staff and suppliers."

Quite how this can be achieved with the venue dug up and the loss of their major event (Moto GP) is anyone's guess. There must be questions as to who pays to reinstate the circuit (if there is the money to do it) and re-build a race calendar that makes the circuit viable again.
Old 23 Oct 2009, 08:32 (Ref:2567716)   #1431
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
It won't be a great loss.Very few of us could spell the circuit name correctly anyway.
Old 23 Oct 2009, 08:49 (Ref:2567728)   #1432
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
It won't be a great loss.Very few of us could spell the circuit name correctly anyway.
Most people can't even pronounce Oulton Park correctly!
Old 23 Oct 2009, 09:03 (Ref:2567738)   #1433
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The actual freehold of the venue is still held by the Wheatcroft family surely? The dispute they had earlier this year was about unpaid rent and in these circumstances I cannot see Gillett being up to date with his payments given that the banks will have charged him fat fees for handling the failed bond offer.

Depending on the terms of the settlement agreed after that dispute the next likely move on Tuesday will be action from the landlords to recover any money owed and failing that they take over control again. A new leaseholder will be sought to get the facility up and running again in its old form.

I have not been to look but what is actually required for a race meeting to run? Is the circuit itself still intact or dug up at some point?

Anybody fancy leasing a race circuit? I would bet you could do a good deal now
Old 23 Oct 2009, 09:14 (Ref:2567747)   #1434
stroller
Racer

stroller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote from the Autosport article

"The news dealt an unexpected blow to staff and management at the circuit,"

Old 23 Oct 2009, 09:19 (Ref:2567752)   #1435
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroller View Post

"The news dealt an unexpected blow to staff and management at the circuit,"

Obviously the sort of people that drive their car down a railway line and then expect the train to swerve out of the way.
Old 23 Oct 2009, 09:28 (Ref:2567758)   #1436
Dave 455
Racer

Dave 455 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote from the Autosport Article : -

"Despite higher than expected levels of interest and very positive early indications, the bond - which was launched with Citi Group last week - has failed to secure enough subscription ahead of today's deadline."

Old 23 Oct 2009, 09:32 (Ref:2567762)   #1437
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Simon Gillett...
Old 23 Oct 2009, 09:35 (Ref:2567765)   #1438
stroller
Racer

stroller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 455 View Post
Quote from the Autosport Article : -

"Despite higher than expected levels of interest and very positive early indications, the bond - which was launched with Citi Group last week - has failed to secure enough subscription ahead of today's deadline."

I think it means they had two enquiries instead of one !
Old 23 Oct 2009, 10:10 (Ref:2567781)   #1439
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
The actual freehold of the venue is still held by the Wheatcroft family surely? The dispute they had earlier this year was about unpaid rent and in these circumstances I cannot see Gillett being up to date with his payments given that the banks will have charged him fat fees for handling the failed bond offer.

Depending on the terms of the settlement agreed after that dispute the next likely move on Tuesday will be action from the landlords to recover any money owed and failing that they take over control again. A new leaseholder will be sought to get the facility up and running again in its old form.

I have not been to look but what is actually required for a race meeting to run? Is the circuit itself still intact or dug up at some point?

Anybody fancy leasing a race circuit? I would bet you could do a good deal now

The problem is that whoever assumes control of the circuit will have substantial costs to bear to re-instate, against a backdrop of a much weaker calendar. In the pursuit of the big prize Donington firmly placed all the eggs into one basket. Really it's a bit like buying a half done classic car restoration when you are not sure what you will be left with when it's done.
Old 23 Oct 2009, 10:20 (Ref:2567785)   #1440
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
I can see Redgate corner being replaced by 'Redgate Square',Craner curves being replaced by 'Craner Rise' with maybe 'Starkey's Close','Melbourne Mews' and 'Goddards Green' all putting in an appearance.Although whether or not you want to live bang next to an airport is obviously down to personel preference.
Old 23 Oct 2009, 10:58 (Ref:2567804)   #1441
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does anyone else have a vision of Gillett, a suitcase full of money and a plane ticket to Brazil in his hand or is it just me?
Old 23 Oct 2009, 11:06 (Ref:2567807)   #1442
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What time's your flight Arnie?
Old 23 Oct 2009, 11:07 (Ref:2567808)   #1443
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I can see Redgate corner being replaced by 'Redgate Square',Craner curves being replaced by 'Craner Rise' with maybe 'Starkey's Close','Melbourne Mews' and 'Goddards Green' all putting in an appearance.Although whether or not you want to live bang next to an airport is obviously down to personel preference.
Nice idea, but I think it would be just a little *too* close to be allowed as a housing development. As far as I am aware there's a restriction on housing developments so close to the end of runways anyway.

Now, another airport business park, that's a different matter...

The thing I find most annoying is the destruction that's already happened

But still, I got to drive round the circuit at the very end of the last meeting before they dug it up, which is something I'll remember for a long time...
Old 23 Oct 2009, 11:15 (Ref:2567813)   #1444
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A (little) bit more detail from the FT.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/17d272c4-b...nclick_check=1
Old 23 Oct 2009, 11:21 (Ref:2567818)   #1445
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
i think we need to remember, while gillet rents the track, he doesnt own it...so cant sell it. anything done with/on the track has to have permission from tom wheatcroft....so theres no way houses will be built on it.
Old 23 Oct 2009, 11:30 (Ref:2567824)   #1446
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I do feel sorry for the staff. Most of them have had no involvement with this debacle and are now at risk of ending up out of a job and out of pocket. Inevitable or not, that's not nice for anyone in this climate.

My guess is that the lease reverts to the Wheatcroft company (can't remember what it is called), there will be no money left in DVL so whatever debts are outstanding rent etc. will not be seen. There will then be the issue of the dilapidations at the circuit - presumably there was an obligation to hand it back in at least no worse a condition. If there's no money W will have to whistle for that as well.

They will then either have to stump up themselves to reinstate the circuit so that they can lease it out or they will have to negotiate a lease with enough of a discount or rent free period to fund someone else carrying out the works.

Someone previously mentioned that there was a guarantor for the lease - does anyone know whether that is true - obviously that would change the financial situation if the guarantor is of any value.
Old 23 Oct 2009, 11:50 (Ref:2567843)   #1447
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What chance, the Wheatcroft family back into the house building business !!
Old 23 Oct 2009, 11:55 (Ref:2567848)   #1448
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
I do feel sorry for the staff. Most of them have had no involvement with this debacle and are now at risk of ending up out of a job and out of pocket. Inevitable or not, that's not nice for anyone in this climate.
I'll second that. The staff at Donington are a decent bunch and I always looked forward to going there because I knew I would get a friendly welcome and that they would be as helpful as possible.

Even then the amount of rent paid to the Wheatcrofts was regarded as a millstone around the neck of whoever was trying to run the circuit. That problem is not going to go away, unless the Wheatcrofts realise that having some rent is better than receiving none. One of the items to be covered by the failed bond launch was arrears of rent.
Old 23 Oct 2009, 11:57 (Ref:2567852)   #1449
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
To be closely followed by the Donnington Park Residents Association who will be campaining about the level of noise coming from the airfield and that they want it closed down.
Old 23 Oct 2009, 12:51 (Ref:2567902)   #1450
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
This really is a mess- let's just hope that there is a positive outcome in the long run- Bernie does a deal with Silverstone to rescue the British GP, and Donington can somehow be reinstated and back in operation as soon as possible, even if it means writing off the 2010 season there
Closed Thread