Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 3 Feb 2010, 17:00 (Ref:2625790)   #26
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm glad ot have your posts here! It is a very mighty fall..and in a very short period of time, but unfortunately it's now "the guy who headed what lost what?".

According to this, Rexall's sponsorship of the event has expired and they're "reconsidering" their investment. Ditto Konica-Minolta...
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists...76976-qmi.html The sponsorship losses might mean more if they were actually paying more in the first place... Given the huge losses of the event even with these sponsors, and the local politics involved, the event is definitely on borrowed time.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 3 Feb 2010, 17:21 (Ref:2625804)   #27
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for that Jay, that's the piece I read the other day which prompted my questions. I was guessing that you might live in western Canada, and perhaps had heard of any updates.

There isn't any indication that this year's race could be cancelled, but the contract expires after this one. If you hear any news on the subject, it would be great if you could post it here.

Chances of an Edmonton Indy after 2010 don't look very promising.

Andy
Old 3 Feb 2010, 17:29 (Ref:2625813)   #28
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I've been hearing for some time that the airport may be closed as such and made into a permanent racing facility in the not-too-distant future.
Old 3 Feb 2010, 18:30 (Ref:2625850)   #29
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
^^ Given the contention over having a temporary race circuit there, I'd be amazed if they allowed a permenant one. Who would pay for it?

Every level of government in Canada has been ringing up debt over the past few years due to the recession (our Federal government even had the financial competence to go into the red before the recession!), so once the belt tightening begins it will be a ripple effect that will go through all levels - don't expect the City of Edmonton to continue to lose millions on this race. Any event that receives large amounts of government funding without an immediate, obvious return needs to be prepared - that includes the Toronto Indy as well.

JagtechOhio, I live in Eastern Canada, so no, we don't get a ton of local western news here. From the sounds of it, I do expect there to be a 2010 Edmonton race, but I also expect it to be the last one.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 3 Feb 2010, 18:44 (Ref:2625862)   #30
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
^^ Given the contention over having a temporary race circuit there, I'd be amazed if they allowed a permenant one. Who would pay for it?

Every level of government in Canada has been ringing up debt over the past few years due to the recession (our Federal government even had the financial competence to go into the red before the recession!), so once the belt tightening begins it will be a ripple effect that will go through all levels - don't expect the City of Edmonton to continue to lose millions on this race. Any event that receives large amounts of government funding without an immediate, obvious return needs to be prepared - that includes the Toronto Indy as well.

JagtechOhio, I live in Eastern Canada, so no, we don't get a ton of local western news here. From the sounds of it, I do expect there to be a 2010 Edmonton race, but I also expect it to be the last one.
I think another issue was the airport which was closing and maybe being redeveloped and I think that was one reason for the race not remaining for the long term unless it moves elsewhere. Can't remember all the specifics now about that.

Mostly it's just a victim in the decline and fall of open wheel racing.
Old 3 Feb 2010, 18:58 (Ref:2625866)   #31
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I think another issue was the airport which was closing and maybe being redeveloped and I think that was one reason for the race not remaining for the long term unless it moves elsewhere. Can't remember all the specifics now about that.
I recall reading something about that as well...Like you, I can't remember the specifics

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 3 Feb 2010, 19:22 (Ref:2625878)   #32
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, what you guys all shared is factual, and I read it too. The status of the 2010 race has apparently not been affected...I'm just wondering if things stay that way.

Jay, have you heard any scuttlebutt about the zoning decision on Jeff Gordon's track near Niagra?

He dropped a similar proposal here in Columbus, Ohio last week, for a downtown race track. When cows fly, it will get zoning approval and make a great vanue for the show.

Andy
Old 3 Feb 2010, 19:41 (Ref:2625888)   #33
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio View Post
Yep, what you guys all shared is factual, and I read it too. The status of the 2010 race has apparently not been affected...I'm just wondering if things stay that way.

Jay, have you heard any scuttlebutt about the zoning decision on Jeff Gordon's track near Niagra?

He dropped a similar proposal here in Columbus, Ohio last week, for a downtown race track. When cows fly, it will get zoning approval and make a great vanue for the show.

Andy
According to Norris MacDonalds column it passed both local and regional council approvals, I imagine it will have to undergo a Provincial Environmental Assesment, but according to their website they will be open for buisness in 2011

Quote:
http://www.cdnmotorspeedway.com/index-4.html

December 17, 2009

The Region of Niagara enacted an amendment to the Regional Official Plan, for the Canadian Motor Speedway. With another unanimous vote the final step cleared in the Official Plan Amendment process, to allow the final zoning process to begin.".

December 14, 2009

The Town of Fort Erie enacted an amendment to their Official Plan, By-Laws Nos. 168-09 and 169-09 for the Canadian Motor Speedway. These are significant steps in the progress of the project, providing the development group and all their supporters with an indication that the Speedway can be accepted into the landscape of Fort Erie.
Old 3 Feb 2010, 19:51 (Ref:2625891)   #34
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I read last fall the Edmonton City Centre Airport is toclose one of two runways after summer 2010

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonto...rport#Airfield

On July 8, 2009, the city council decided on a phased closure of the airport. The north-south runway will be closed as soon as possible and current licenses for scheduled air service will not be renewed. Closure of the remaining runway will be announced at a future date. The eastern side of the airport is expected to be transferred to the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology while the remainder will be a mixed-use business and residential development.[4]

In September 2009, the city council postponed the closure of the north-south runway until after the Indy and Airfest events of 2010.[5]
You can see a graphic of the circuit ovelayed on the runways/taxiways here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ed...p_overlaid.png

Closing the N-S runway wouldn't affect the track but for the fact that one runway must be kept available at all times for emergency flights.
Old 3 Feb 2010, 20:08 (Ref:2625896)   #35
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Thanks Ice, great to read it firsthand. This was the part I was on about, I think I read it at the track's site a while ago:

"... to allow the final zoning process to begin."

Andy
Old 4 Feb 2010, 19:46 (Ref:2626765)   #36
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.indysportsnation.com/vide...7-499b664abd30

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 4 Feb 2010, 20:06 (Ref:2626786)   #37
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Thanks for that,

I have about a million words to say about those pictures, but I'll keep this short.

The significance of Vision is a notch above the normal midpack runners because of their history. That's why I pointed out the case to save them, and I think the video depicts that sentiment.

This campaign may not have much effect. A similar social media blitz was run in support of Paul Tracy to his associate sponser, Monster energy drinks. If it had much effect, there has been no indication of it. I tried one for HVM sponsor "flogs.com" last fall, it got zero support.

Menards might get 5,000 letters, who knows. It does not represent the kind of return on investment they expect from a big dollar sponsorship, particularly when they look at the television ratings from the recent past.

Four of the seventeen events held outside the U.S. does not serve as a futher motivation to Menard's. They don't even have a store within 1500 miles of California, if my information is correct.

Here's hoping it works. Merging teams sure would.