Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 13 Mar 2010, 19:14 (Ref:2651192)   #101
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
And wadded up cars is unusual for any street circuit?

Curitiba isn't up to code to be permitted by the FIA to host ICS, pure and simple, so that won't happen for the time being anyway. Bernie Ecclestone isn't going to let ICS run at Interlagos, and Jacarepagua is out of commission for the big stuff with the Olympic construction.

New pavement has poor grip anyway; you can see the sheen on the asphalt of the back stretch. This shouldn't be a surprise to anybody though, and the teams should have been prepared for it. You still have two very good overtaking zones: Turns 5 and 11, plus the slipstreaming options on the back stretch.
Old 13 Mar 2010, 19:26 (Ref:2651196)   #102
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
http://www.indycar.com/news/show/55-...d-to-race-day/
Old 13 Mar 2010, 19:57 (Ref:2651221)   #103
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Connusumate expertise, Purist.

Go ahead, argue that too.
Old 13 Mar 2010, 20:30 (Ref:2651252)   #104
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I'm not sure what I'm arguing against, Jag. You haven't addressed anything directly. I simply made some seemingly common sense comments.

Anyway, just about every recent, major, new circuit I can think of has cut it close to being done in time for their first major meeting, whether that circuit be Abu Dhabi, Algarve, Potrero de los Funes, or Sao Paulo. We, as human beings, tend not to really get down to business until it's crunch time.

Aside from all that, I think we could count on somebody complaining regardless of how the surface was. The surface as it is now is slick and/or bumpy in places, and we have complaints about that. If the asphalt hadn't been laid smooth, by US or European standard, there would be complaints that the construction crew was incompetent in doing their job on those roads. And, if it was nice, smooth, and grippy, people would be complaining that everybody was putting the power down and hitting the brakes too easily and perfectly, and that this was too much of a hindrance to overtaking. This third option is used quite often in discussions of why F1 racing is not as interesting as most would like it to be.
Old 13 Mar 2010, 21:46 (Ref:2651301)   #105
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio View Post
Tony's wishing for a tall cold one right about now too.

I got worried when I heard they weren't running Friday. It's too condensed a schedule for any corrections, and no one forsaw one this large...

But it speaks to your point, and the bad idea of throwing this up in a hurry.

There was a guy talking about a racetrack two hours south of there, back in October too...Curitiba, I think it was called.

Hopefully the grinding will help, but there will be wadded cars tomorrow at several points around this circuit.
Hope you're not backing out on our friendly little wager, are you?

Don't worry...I have a hunch you'll be making a trip to Indy sometime soon...maybe on business...

You pay off the round and I'll pick up the apps that we can wash down. I'm sure we would spend more time talking than drinking anyway...

That's what friends are for, right?

It was a fun wager among Forum friends...I'm actually a good guy, despite my forum demeanor...

Either way, I look forward to meeting you at some point very soon.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 13 Mar 2010, 21:51 (Ref:2651305)   #106
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ugh, what did I bet you Tim?

No matter, paying a beer bet is my pleasure!

As for the trip: if no better motivation arises, that one will be good enough.

Ed Carpenter gays the ground concrete is going to shred the tires.

Uh oh, part deux.
Old 13 Mar 2010, 21:56 (Ref:2651311)   #107
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Ugh, what did I bet you Tim?

No matter, paying a beer bet is my pleasure!

As for the trip: if no better motivation arises, that one will be good enough.
I can go back to pull your quote if you wish, but when mountainstar said this would be a fiasco and I agreed and said it might be a "Keystone Cops" event due to the late start, you stated that none of my predictions ever came true and that you would wager a tall draught that I would be wrong.

I'll go back through the thread if you wish...no biggie...and I don't even care if I collect...

I'd just as soon hang out with a fellow gearhead the next time you come to Indy anyway...

Look forward to meeting you, one way or another.

Cheers

Old 13 Mar 2010, 22:00 (Ref:2651315)   #108
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Hey Tim,

I can't recall one of your forecasts that I have agreed with, or has come to pass.

I got a tall draught that says you missed again on this one.

Andy

Edit : the only real disaster could be car count, but I doubt it for this race. 20, decent track, good crowd.
For the record...Page 4 of the thread.

Old 13 Mar 2010, 22:30 (Ref:2651334)   #109
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
That qualifies as a victorious wager indeeeed. Brews all 'round!
Old 13 Mar 2010, 23:19 (Ref:2651361)   #110
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Lookin' forward to meeting you...

BTW...The second round will be on me as we wash down the apps...

Old 14 Mar 2010, 01:53 (Ref:2651411)   #111
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Back at you. I'm slightly less annoying in person.

Do you think Ganassi demanded that they open source the bid for scratching the concrete?

CFD and wind tunnel design, shaker rig tuning with adaptive shocks fitted to adjust and record suspension loads...

And nobody can figure out how to lay down a surface they can race on? Without jumping off the track, let alone spinning off it?

Brilliant.
Old 14 Mar 2010, 05:26 (Ref:2651430)   #112
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Cotman sheds some valuable light on the issue in the article on the Series' website that announces the delayed qualifying session. Apparently, the rubber compound of the tires that Firestone brought is not sticking and penetrating into the concrete surface of the Sambodromo.

The hard (primary) tires being used at Sao Paulo are the same as the hard compound used last year at Long Beach and Toronto. The soft (alternate) tires are the hard compound used last year at St. Petersburg.
Old 14 Mar 2010, 07:19 (Ref:2651467)   #113
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Yes, it's the tires that are responsible for the problem. Right.

Might be a factor tomorrow, if the concrete is rough enough. The reds won't hold up.
Old 14 Mar 2010, 19:57 (Ref:2652064)   #114
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
They must have done a good job with the grinders, because the speeds and the racing was good today.

If they deal with those issues in the future (grip on concrete, drainage, and the washboard straights and corners), this could be the best street circuit in the world.

Good action today, despite the circumstances....

Although i predicted the problems they had yesterday, Cottman did a fabulous job as far as general layout of this track was concerned...This could become a great event over the next four years as they tweak it out and improve the on-track conditions.

Old 14 Mar 2010, 20:01 (Ref:2652066)   #115
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Cotman sheds some valuable light on the issue in the article on the Series' website that announces the delayed qualifying session. Apparently, the rubber compound of the tires that Firestone brought is not sticking and penetrating into the concrete surface of the Sambodromo.

The hard (primary) tires being used at Sao Paulo are the same as the hard compound used last year at Long Beach and Toronto. The soft (alternate) tires are the hard compound used last year at St. Petersburg.
The concrete had white paint on it (so that Carnival spectators could clearly see the colors and such of the annual festivities)...they thought that merely stripping the paint off would do the job...NOT...

Rubber can't penetrate through paint that has filled the pores in the concrete

Don't blame Firestone...wasn't their issue, as noted in the race today once they ground the concrete to make it rougher.

Reds seemed pretty good today, despite the conditions...

Old 14 Mar 2010, 20:18 (Ref:2652083)   #116
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It was all very last minute but they sorted it out and we had a great race.
Old 14 Mar 2010, 21:37 (Ref:2652158)   #117
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Like I said in another thread, if they sort out the concrete grip issues, the washboard straights and turns in the asphalt, and the drainage when it rains, this could be the best street circuit in the world...Cottman did a great job when it came to layout...good action on the track today...

Old 15 Mar 2010, 00:30 (Ref:2652274)   #118
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Think about how great some of those dices were.

Now think about what it would have looked like with Delta Wing vehicles.

Good competition between drivers forced to rely on their skill is the beauty...old Dallaras, midgets, vintage cars, whatever.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 00:49 (Ref:2652292)   #119
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
A Reynard or Lola would have done me.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 09:14 (Ref:2652451)   #120
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about a Penske, an old March and a Galmer as well ?
Old 15 Mar 2010, 16:49 (Ref:2652786)   #121
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Yep, Penskes as well. Anything's preferrable to those Dallaras.