Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 Jun 2010, 02:43 (Ref:2715461)   #226
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
AGT organisers were probably able to convince the 12 Hour promoter that the only way of getting a large grid of the top GT cars running in their series was to have an affiliation with them.The proof will be in the entry list but these cars are needed.Without them the entry list will more resemble ,in quality, the Prodsports race at the Sports Car Carnival than the GT Championship race at the same meeting.
Old 21 Jun 2010, 08:41 (Ref:2715528)   #227
Simon S
Racer

England
Simon S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
some interesting views shared here....

looking at this from afar, some obvious questions:

1) would you want to start a race with the front being the current Aus GT bunch (based on their total in-ability to actually deal with starts)
2) what's the chances of even half the current GT cars actually finishing a 12 hour race?
3) How many entries from other categories will be put off by having them included?

Don't get me wrong, on paper it's definitely the way to go, but I suspect the reality is going to be somewhat more painful.
Old 21 Jun 2010, 08:44 (Ref:2715530)   #228
Simon S
Racer

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
AGT organisers were probably able to convince the 12 Hour promoter that the only way of getting a large grid of the top GT cars running in their series was to have an affiliation with them.The proof will be in the entry list but these cars are needed.Without them the entry list will more resemble ,in quality, the Prodsports race at the Sports Car Carnival than the GT Championship race at the same meeting.
not sure I agree with you there, the prodsports grid gives way better racing and has shown to have way better depth and quality of driving.
Old 21 Jun 2010, 10:56 (Ref:2715602)   #229
deano2
Racer

deano2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Simon S;2715530]not sure I agree with you there, the prodsports grid gives way better racing and has shown to have way better depth and quality of driving what planet are you on.......prod sports has its place but i could name ten drivers in gt who would win prod sports in the blink of an eyelid so stop trying to make out prod sports is full of hot shots
Old 21 Jun 2010, 16:54 (Ref:2715835)   #230
Simon S
Racer

England
[QUOTE=deano2;2715602]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon S View Post
not sure I agree with you there, the prodsports grid gives way better racing and has shown to have way better depth and quality of driving what planet are you on.......prod sports has its place but i could name ten drivers in gt who would win prod sports in the blink of an eyelid so stop trying to make out prod sports is full of hot shots
err... that will be why they can't manage to execute a rolling start without a major pile-up every meeting then?

Not saying that there are not some decent drivers in GT, but they are very much in a minority (care to name your ten?)

whist I am not suggesting Prodpsorts is full of top line pro drivers, it is full of very competent SAFE drivers that respect their fellow racers and cars.
Old 22 Jun 2010, 03:05 (Ref:2716132)   #231
deano2
Racer

[QUOTE=Simon S;2715835]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano2 View Post

err... that will be why they can't manage to execute a rolling start without a major pile-up every meeting then?

Not saying that there are not some decent drivers in GT, but they are very much in a minority (care to name your ten?)

whist I am not suggesting Prodpsorts is full of top line pro drivers, it is full of very competent SAFE drivers that respect their fellow racers and cars.
guys who have raced in gt in the last 12 months.....richards,bowe, wall, crick, hackett, twigg, kondourisx2,quinnx2,grant,hill,eddy,freestone...i can keep going if you like....times dont lie.....its not these guys fault that its the only rolling start procedure in the world where everyone goes at the same time..poll sitter normally makes the call.....if you applied this start procedure to v8 supercar same thing would happen
Old 22 Jun 2010, 04:42 (Ref:2716144)   #232
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
not sure I agree with you there, the prodsports grid gives way better racing and has shown to have way better depth and quality of driving.
I have to agree with Deano.On the evidence of the Sports Car Carnival Prodsports racing is about 10% the quality of what we saw in the GT Championship.The start line accidents this year are more related to a faulty rolling start regulation than the general quality of driving.
Old 24 Jun 2010, 04:51 (Ref:2717207)   #233
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Having read Auto Fiction earlier today,it mentioned some entries from overseas (possibly), it says mainly from the Asia Pacific rim, any ideas as to whom might come down under?

I'd like to see some European teams make the trek but I cant really see that happening.
Old 25 Jun 2010, 18:59 (Ref:2717951)   #234
Simon S
Racer

England
[QUOTE=deano2;2716132]
Quote:
guys who have raced in gt in the last 12 months.....richards,bowe, wall, crick, hackett, twigg, kondourisx2,quinnx2,grant,hill,eddy,freestone...i can keep going if you like....times dont lie.....its not these guys fault that its the only rolling start procedure in the world where everyone goes at the same time..poll sitter normally makes the call.....if you applied this start procedure to v8 supercar same thing would happen
LOL!

who was talking laptimes?

aside that, what are you on about rolling starts? they are just the same as they are in any other country, what are you on about?
Old 28 Jun 2010, 03:43 (Ref:2719057)   #235
deano2
Racer

[QUOTE=Simon S;2717951]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano2 View Post

LOL!

who was talking laptimes?

aside that, what are you on about rolling starts? they are just the same as they are in any other country, what are you on about?
next time you are watching a nascar start take a closer look through your one eye
Old 28 Jun 2010, 12:39 (Ref:2719238)   #236
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
NASCAR has an advantage when it comes to rolling starts since the corner leading onto the straight is usually condusive to everyone running at a constant speed side by side, and nobody accelerates until the flag waves. Most road circuits have a final corner which isn't so co-operative, leading to the middle of the pack backwards running single file at full chat as they come of it. Add in the non-American view that the pole man sets the pace and can choose when to accelerate and the potential for problems is greatly increased.

And it's not as if NASCAR manage 100% clean starts even with all those benefits.

As someone up here (David Leslie?) said a few years ago "A rolling start is just like a standing start, except that you're going quicker when you have the first corner accident"!