Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 16 Sep 2010, 13:44 (Ref:2760367)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Unamed Circuit

Here's my new track. I was going to set it in Poland, but couldn't think of a good name for it. It's not actually set anywhere in particular in truth, in terms of aesthetic. It's the first track I've posted with reasonable elevation changes (i.e. ones mid-corner), but my SketchUp skills are pretty horrific as you are about to see.

The circuit is 4514m long (or was before I added the elevation change) with an elevation change of 54m. The highest point is the pit straight, with the lowest being at the end of the Carousel, a long right hand downhill corner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Overhead.png
Views:	38
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	29521

The lap starts going down a hill after a long straight in to a right hairpin and opening left. There may well be some overtaking at the third corner, a medium-slow right. The course is slowly rising throughout this.

Name:	Suzuka.png
Views:	18
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	29522

This section, two (or is it three?) high speed corners - the Suzuka sequence of two right handers will be a good bravery and downforce.

Name:	Carousel.png
Views:	9
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	29523

The Carousel, surely the postcard corner of the track. A long right hander that falls away, somewhat similar in style to the corner after Corkscrew at Laguna Seca, but longer. It opens out on to a straight leading to a right hand hairpin, another possible overtaking slot. Drivers will be jockeying for position through Suzuka and Carousel for the best line here. The left hander after it offers an opportunity for the repass.

Name:	Final complex.png
Views:	11
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	29524

A longer straight leads on towards an open 180 degree left, providing a curving braking zone for the last but one corner, a right hand hairpin. This corner will create an acceleration through the last corner and on to the main straight. This is desired to create a similar effect and feel to the old 300R section of Fuji.

Apologies for the crap SketchUp skills. Thoughts?

Last edited by duke_toaster; 16 Sep 2010 at 13:53.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 15:54 (Ref:2760411)   #2
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I like it. It's challenging and looks like an obediant doggy.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 17:46 (Ref:2760481)   #3
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Funny you point that out, I didn't notice it at all while making it but it's quite obvious since you spotted it.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 02:14 (Ref:2760672)   #4
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say it looks good from an artistic stand point, but I see some minor issues in t4-t5 being a little too close to t8 and they have colliding vectors, making that a noticeable problem. The pit in after the hairpin t1 makes for a tricky track entry point specially with fast traffic hanging around. I rather see the track entry way before t1, give it at least 100m but then they come in right into the hot racing line, those issues shall be easily corrected.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 03:29 (Ref:2760684)   #5
xlr8r
Racer

United States
Boston, Massachusetts
xlr8r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like a combination of Shanghai and Istanbul. This shows how difficult it is to do elevation changes in sketchup. Good job on the elevations though. I really like the long carousel type corners, It would be better if the pits and paddock were on the inside of the track though for pit entrance and exit.