Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 10 Oct 2010, 11:29 (Ref:2772539)   #1
teammoda
Racer

teammoda has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
BBC`s Japanese GP coverage

Was it me or did other members find the BBC`s F1 coverage today as somewhat "flat".At this stage of the season with so many drivers in with a chance to win the championship the coverage seemed to be very low key,what with Jake not presenting(the young lady did a very good job by the way) and no forum the banter you usually associate with the coverage for me was missing.You would have thought at this stage the BBC would have played up the hype a bit more. Hopefully the next GP coverage will be business as usual or I`m sure Bernie will have words
Old 10 Oct 2010, 11:38 (Ref:2772543)   #2
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by teammoda View Post
no forum
I wonder which bit of the BBC Coverage you were watching then. Because I managed to find the F1 Forum...agreed, Lee didnt tell you that the Forum was on, but there it was.

It had a very enthusiastic interview with Kamui Kobiyashi, including EJ calling him by Brundle's name - "KobiBASHY"!!
Old 10 Oct 2010, 11:39 (Ref:2772544)   #3
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I thought it was fine. Very good as usual. It had a different feel without Jake though. Less Eddie Jordan mocking until Martin Brundle had a few digs.
Old 10 Oct 2010, 11:58 (Ref:2772556)   #4
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's harder to display the same banter if you are working with someone who you don't normally work with. I didn't see the pre-race show but (apart from Legard's commentary) the rest was perfectly acceptable. Lee McKenzie at least corrected herself when she made a few errors.

If you want someone to keep up the hype, just read Andrew Benson's post-race column. I think this was the first race since Bahrain which he didn't declare as thrilling...
Old 10 Oct 2010, 12:05 (Ref:2772559)   #5
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Forum is now available on iPlayer
Old 10 Oct 2010, 12:13 (Ref:2772566)   #6
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
I wonder which bit of the BBC Coverage you were watching then. Because I managed to find the F1 Forum...agreed, Lee didnt tell you that the Forum was on, but there it was.
I don't think the F1 Forum was on Freeview this weekend, so it would have been for some to miss that there was one. That's why Lee didn't plug it, as many wouldn't be able to watch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
It had a very enthusiastic interview with Kamui Kobiyashi, including EJ calling him by Brundle's name - "KobiBASHY"!!
Indeed, Kobayashi was great, hopefully we'll hear more from him in future.
Old 10 Oct 2010, 12:26 (Ref:2772575)   #7
teammoda
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
I don't think the F1 Forum was on Freeview this weekend, so it would have been for some to miss that there was one. That's why Lee didn't plug it, as many wouldn't be able to watch it.

Indeed, Kobayashi was great, hopefully we'll hear more from him in future.
Yes I have freeview and didnt see the forum (damm commonwealth games!!) Must check out the Koby interview on the i player.
Old 10 Oct 2010, 13:59 (Ref:2772609)   #8
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I never ever thought in a million years I would hear a Leeroy Jenkins reference in BBC F1 commentary when the 5 Live feed was used during the technical problems. Top score from me just for that!

I really enjoy the BBC coverage, apart from Legard. I know he tries, but it just doesn't gel. Apart from the racing of course the forum is my favourite part. I just wish they would be a little more consistent as to where they put it on iPlayer.
Old 10 Oct 2010, 18:50 (Ref:2772728)   #9
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Kobayashi/Leeroy Jenkins reference was pro.

Seriously though, I feel BBC's F1 coverage is head and shoulders (and not the shampoo) above every other channel that provides coverage on F1, so stop moaning.
Old 10 Oct 2010, 20:00 (Ref:2772754)   #10
teammoda
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
The Kobayashi/Leeroy Jenkins reference was pro.

Seriously though, I feel BBC's F1 coverage is head and shoulders (and not the shampoo) above every other channel that provides coverage on F1, so stop moaning.
I`m not moaning mate,I just wasnt aware that the forum was elswhere.I have noticed here that some I`m not saying all but some veterans here seem to suffer from "grumpy old man" syndrome..........
Old 11 Oct 2010, 01:02 (Ref:2772863)   #11
parkingjedi
Racer

Bhutan
parkingjedi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I live in Japan and watched Fuji TV for the first time in years (wanted to watch in HDTV - this race is the only one on the calendar that is shown prime time on the free to air Fuji channel rather than the cable Fuji - though it was still delayed one hour)
anyway Fuji TV has the crappest package out - its a Vauxhall Victor to BBC's Veyron in comparison.
Their show started with a 5 min Senna-esqe biography of the life of Kobayashi, then a pitwalk that was only one driver - guess who, off to the stands and yep lets go to the Kobayashi fan section, 15 mins onto the show a quick mention of the title contenders in the race. Just abysmal, fair enough show some love for the local guy but to have coverage on him completely dominate like he was the reigning drivers and champ and current drivers leader and pretty much ignore the unprecedented 5 way tussle for the title?
seriously.
The actual commentators of the race make James Allen and Bob Varsha sound like Gods.
I feel really sorry for Japanese F1 fans who have to watch this crap week in week out. Thank god for bit torrent and the ability to got BBC.
Old 11 Oct 2010, 04:51 (Ref:2772911)   #12
Kai
Racer

United States
San Francisco
Kai has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Leeroy Jenkins comment was so full of win. Made me a Crofty fan.
Old 11 Oct 2010, 07:22 (Ref:2772944)   #13
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkingjedi View Post
I live in Japan and watched Fuji TV for the first time in years (wanted to watch in HDTV - this race is the only one on the calendar that is shown prime time on the free to air Fuji channel rather than the cable Fuji - though it was still delayed one hour)
anyway Fuji TV has the crappest package out - its a Vauxhall Victor to BBC's Veyron in comparison.
Their show started with a 5 min Senna-esqe biography of the life of Kobayashi, then a pitwalk that was only one driver - guess who, off to the stands and yep lets go to the Kobayashi fan section, 15 mins onto the show a quick mention of the title contenders in the race. Just abysmal, fair enough show some love for the local guy but to have coverage on him completely dominate like he was the reigning drivers and champ and current drivers leader and pretty much ignore the unprecedented 5 way tussle for the title?
seriously.
The actual commentators of the race make James Allen and Bob Varsha sound like Gods.
I feel really sorry for Japanese F1 fans who have to watch this crap week in week out. Thank god for bit torrent and the ability to got BBC.
Hey! There's nothing wrong with Vauxhalls!
Old 11 Oct 2010, 10:13 (Ref:2773022)   #14
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudgun View Post
I never ever thought in a million years I would hear a Leeroy Jenkins reference in BBC F1 commentary when the 5 Live feed was used during the technical problems. Top score from me just for that!
That was one of the funniest/geeky bits of commentary I've ever heard. I was actually disappointed when they got Legard and Brundle back a few seconds later.

I suppose the Beebs coverage wasn't their best ever over the weekend but it's still in a league of its own. I would be interested to know how many networks around the world showed qually for instance.
Old 11 Oct 2010, 11:56 (Ref:2773070)   #15
davidjones
Rookie

England
Nottingham
davidjones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The one thing that spoilt the BBC's F1 coverage for me yesterday was that i fell asleep before the race had even started, so had to watch it on iplayer. i got to lap 9 and the stream stopped, re-loaded the page and it took me to the live BBC 1 re-run that was at lap 33, i saw a lap of spoilers before i realised. turns out they had deleted the stream i was watching, and replaced it with the live simulcast of the re-run. it then took them till 9pm to get the re-run encoded and uploaded online, so i had to stay disconnected form all news till late Sunday night.

its not the first time the BBC have ruined the otherwise excellent coverage by these sort of stupid mistakes.
Old 11 Oct 2010, 12:01 (Ref:2773073)   #16
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
They did have a few problems this weekend, but I think Lee did a pretty (definitely pretty!) good job as anchor. Obviously we lost the commentary at one stage (switching eventually to the Radio Five Live feed - maybe the producer was asleep, that did seem to take some time?), plus I'm sure that one of Ted's reports from the pits was also played over the circuit ,oudspeaker system too as you could hear it in the background.
Old 11 Oct 2010, 12:01 (Ref:2773074)   #17
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I found exactly that - it was all a bit flat. Same with some of the others in the office, some spark or something wasn't quite there... unusual as the coverage has been great all year.

I couldn't get the forum to fire up either live or later via iplayer -watched Caprica instead and will watch the forum tonight (the forum is great generally)
Old 11 Oct 2010, 17:11 (Ref:2773248)   #18
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I thought Lee McKenzie was great - she could charm the birds out of the trees. I wondered why she didn't mention the F1 forum, but that's been explained. One of the team principals, I can't remember if it was Martin Whitmarsh or Christian Horner, told her to tell Jake not to hurry back any time soon.

Oddly enough I thought the post-race interviews with the drivers were a bit dull, but that may have been because they've become used to talking to Lee and were faced with Holly Samos instead. No disrespect to Holly. I think she does a very good job in her usual role.
Old 11 Oct 2010, 18:13 (Ref:2773291)   #19
Kai
Racer

United States
San Francisco
Kai has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Upon watching the forum, it seems that EJ has a bit of a crush on Kobayashi
Old 12 Oct 2010, 15:35 (Ref:2773862)   #20
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai View Post
Leeroy Jenkins comment was so full of win. Made me a Crofty fan.
So good, it's already up on Wikipedia under Leeroy Jenkins!
Old 17 Oct 2010, 19:45 (Ref:2776267)   #21
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The BBC could have the worst weekend ever at the Grand Prix and i would still think it would be great . Anyone want to go back to watching it on ITV ?????
Old 17 Oct 2010, 20:14 (Ref:2776282)   #22
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I thought Lee McKenzie was great - she could charm the birds out of the trees. I wondered why she didn't mention the F1 forum, but that's been explained. One of the team principals, I can't remember if it was Martin Whitmarsh or Christian Horner, told her to tell Jake not to hurry back any time soon.

Oddly enough I thought the post-race interviews with the drivers were a bit dull, but that may have been because they've become used to talking to Lee and were faced with Holly Samos instead. No disrespect to Holly. I think she does a very good job in her usual role.
Doesn't Holly Samos' role for Five Live involve interviewing the drivers? I'm not sure you can blame her for the drivers not saying anything interesting...
Old 18 Oct 2010, 23:39 (Ref:2776901)   #23
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by safc_fan89 View Post
Doesn't Holly Samos' role for Five Live involve interviewing the drivers? I'm not sure you can blame her for the drivers not saying anything interesting...
I don't know, to be honest, because I don't listen to Five Live, except on the red button and she doesn't interview drivers much then as far as I remember, just gives feedback from the pit lane.