Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 8 Nov 2010, 22:32 (Ref:2787319)   #1751
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6 View Post
...I'd like to see team orders in any form heavily penalised but its never going to be the case.
I'm sure they will be allowed again after the next race, so yeah, thats never going to be the case. Team orders are a part of F1s DNA
Old 9 Nov 2010, 20:25 (Ref:2787745)   #1752
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Well I think the result has effectively handed Alonso the title, the Maclarens seem to have slowed down and vettel would rather webber did not win the title so even if webber wins in the final race vettel will probably allow alonso into second. Vettel is a good driver for sure but a team player I am not so sure about.

Hehehheehe. Good theory on Vettel. Perhaps he will hear over his radio : "Fernando is faster than you. Do you understand?".

The Vettel/Webber relationship could be interesting next year. Especially if Webber wins the WDC. He could pull the "I'm WDC" line in the team. It might make his position there even more fraught.

What is the situation with team orders now? If Vettel gets told to pull over for Webber this weekend will Red Bull get fined?
Old 9 Nov 2010, 20:30 (Ref:2787748)   #1753
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
What is the situation with team orders now? If Vettel gets told to pull over for Webber this weekend will Red Bull get fined?
Worst case scenario is a fine, it seems...........
Old 9 Nov 2010, 20:43 (Ref:2787753)   #1754
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Okay thank you for the reply, phoenix.
Old 9 Nov 2010, 22:12 (Ref:2787800)   #1755
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mr Webber might even spring for it, to become WDC
Old 9 Nov 2010, 22:36 (Ref:2787814)   #1756
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Worst case scenario is a fine, it seems...........
That's the precedent, and as far as I'm aware, nothing has come out to suggest the next incident under the current rules will lead to any more.
Old 9 Nov 2010, 22:46 (Ref:2787818)   #1757
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr Red Bull himself has said he'd rather have drivers who raced fairly and came second than introduce team orders and have a champion. (Bet it would be different if the driver situation was reveresed though.)
Old 9 Nov 2010, 23:36 (Ref:2787839)   #1758
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABWOA View Post
Mr Red Bull himself has said he'd rather have drivers who raced fairly and came second than introduce team orders and have a champion. (Bet it would be different if the driver situation was reveresed though.)

In fairness the situation was reversed and then Mr Red Bull (Dieter) put a stop to it. It would be hypocritical of him to now turn around and reverse the situation.

Alonso also picked up 2 points when Schumacher was unfairly disqualified from 5th place ahead of him in Monaco.
Old 9 Nov 2010, 23:46 (Ref:2787841)   #1759
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Alonso also picked up 2 points when Schumacher was unfairly disqualified from 5th place ahead of him in Monaco.
It's when I read remarks like that, which are based purely on subjective opinion, that I start hoping Alonso will indeed win it.
Old 10 Nov 2010, 00:17 (Ref:2787852)   #1760
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
It's when I read remarks like that, which are based purely on subjective opinion, that I start hoping Alonso will indeed win it.
Good then we agree on something.
Alonso is the most deserving of the title contenders.
Old 10 Nov 2010, 06:51 (Ref:2787915)   #1761
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On what grounds?

I think he is the most talented. But he has made a whole bunch of mistakes this year. Probably more then Vettel without having a hard think about it.

Button has been the most consistant and error free. But he has not had anything like the speed needed to claim to be worthy. I think all in all Mark has done enough to be deserving....on merit I would say he is just ahead of Vettel with regards to speed and consistancy, just with one or two less mistakes. But Vettel has come on very strong the second half of the season as the car development has come to him. Webber was strongest in the middle part of the season when the blown diffuser was making the car a little more difficult to drive.

I will have mixed feelings no matter who wins...Alonso the least because he already has two and its not like he is having to fight the guy in equal equipment...just those in better
Old 10 Nov 2010, 10:45 (Ref:2787985)   #1762
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Good then we agree on something.
Alonso is the most deserving of the title contenders.

You gotta be kidding.
Old 10 Nov 2010, 10:47 (Ref:2787986)   #1763
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABWOA View Post
Now think for a minute what he has to lose with that attitude.

That makes remember Williams of old.
Old 10 Nov 2010, 12:09 (Ref:2788020)   #1764
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I could understand that mentality if one driver was actually leading the championship - for example in 1996 Williams were happy to let Hill and Villeneuve fight it out because it was guaranteed that one of them would win it - but with Alonso in the driving seat it does look like a 'no team orders' policy might well cost Red Bull the WDC. Of course, just because there are no team orders (or so we're told) doesn't mean that there aren't some conversations going on in the background along the lines of "Right Seb, so if you're leading from Mark with Alonso third, this is what should probably happen..."

Last edited by Ralf's Girl; 10 Nov 2010 at 15:48.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 10 Nov 2010, 15:43 (Ref:2788133)   #1765
Tin top racer
Rookie

Tin top racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl View Post
I could understand that mentality if one driver was actually leading the championship - for example in 1996 Williams were happy to let Hill and Villeneuve fight it out because it was guaranteed that one of them would win it - but with Alonso in the driving seat it does look like a 'no team orders' policy might well cost Red Bull the WDC. Of course, just because there are no team orders (or so we're told) doesn't mean that there are some conversations going on in the background along the lines of "Right Seb, so if you're leading from Mark with Alonso third, this is what should probably happen..."
Totally agree, or at least strongly hope that is going on behind closed doors, you know it would be if it were the other way around.
Would really like to see a commanding performance from Webber to seal the title but on current form I think a bit of help from Vettel will be required (or Alonso's engine blowing up!)
Old 10 Nov 2010, 18:59 (Ref:2788208)   #1766
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32 View Post

....on merit I would say he is just ahead of Vettel with regards to speed and consistancy, just with one or two less mistakes. But Vettel has come on very strong the second half of the season as the car development has come to him.
Really? At Bahrain, he blew everyone away until the sparkplug problem, retired from the lead in Australia when Mark was struggling to score 2 points and finished ahead of Mark at both Malyasia and China, then had a problem at Spain. I'll admit that Mark had the stronger mid season, but nothing suggests to me that Mark has been ahead of Seb in terms of speed and i certainly don't think that car development has then made Seb faster. It has helped his driving style but it suddenly hasn't made him faster than Mark, he was faster before that too.

As for consistancy, Vettel has been involved in 2 (Turkey and Spa) where he didn't finish either time, Mark has been involved in 5 (Australia, Turkey, Valencia,Singapore and Korea) and managed to score points in 3 of the 5, but Vettel has by far had the worst reliability, so i don't actually see where Mark has been more consistant but we all see things differently i suppose.
Old 10 Nov 2010, 20:42 (Ref:2788248)   #1767
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regarding consistency, its a matter of 10 podiums with 4 wins vs 9 podiums and 4 wins. I also believe Webber has qualified on the front row more then Vettel, though the flip side is Vettel has almost doubled Marks Pole efforts.

Vettel has banged wheels multiple times in the one race with people at Silverstone, Spa etc. You would have to include Hungary as a driving error for Vettel as whuilst he didnt crash, he threw away a win behind the pace car and then was too flustered to just get on with it and still get the win. I dont think its night and day, like I said using the above measures combined with the less car failures mean Mark has been more conistant IMO.
Old 10 Nov 2010, 22:17 (Ref:2788284)   #1768
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Now think for a minute what he has to lose with that attitude.

That makes remember Williams of old.
Anybody remember Adelaide 1986? Mr Mansell, Mr Piquet & Mr Prost all with a mathematical chance of the title... only for Mr Mansell to blow a tyre, Mr Piquet to be slowed by a similar problem, and Mr Prost cruising thru to become WDC

Could it be that history shall repeat itself... that the 2 fastest cars of the day powered by Red Bull.. shall play marginal strategies, and the 3rd, unfancied punter shall become champion?

You just never know huh
Old 10 Nov 2010, 22:20 (Ref:2788287)   #1769
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Really? At Bahrain, he blew everyone away until the sparkplug problem, retired from the lead in Australia when Mark was struggling to score 2 points and finished ahead of Mark at both Malyasia and China, then had a problem at Spain. I'll admit that Mark had the stronger mid season, but nothing suggests to me that Mark has been ahead of Seb in terms of speed and i certainly don't think that car development has then made Seb faster. It has helped his driving style but it suddenly hasn't made him faster than Mark, he was faster before that too.

As for consistancy, Vettel has been involved in 2 (Turkey and Spa) where he didn't finish either time, Mark has been involved in 5 (Australia, Turkey, Valencia,Singapore and Korea) and managed to score points in 3 of the 5, but Vettel has by far had the worst reliability, so i don't actually see where Mark has been more consistant but we all see things differently i suppose.

I don't think taking their finishing positions really illustrates whose been faster Mr V. Vettel has generally been faster in quali but the races have been pretty much a dead heat as far a pace is concerned.

You mention China, Webber was ahead of Vettel until he was punted off during a saftey car restart by Hamilton, In Australia Webber was hamstrung by poor work on the pitwall. He was easily in second until Red Bull failed to bring him in to change to dry tyres (I think he did 3 laps more than Button) which dropped him out of centention for the win. (He did however have an accident while trying to recover positions) Spain Webber clearly had the edge on Vettel all weekend and was ahead before Vettel had issues.

On the whole the season has been a very close affair between the 2 drivers. Admitidly Vettel has had a worse run with reliability.
Old 10 Nov 2010, 22:51 (Ref:2788315)   #1770
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Anybody remember Adelaide 1986? Mr Mansell, Mr Piquet & Mr Prost all with a mathematical chance of the title... only for Mr Mansell to blow a tyre, Mr Piquet to be slowed by a similar problem, and Mr Prost cruising thru to become WDC

Could it be that history shall repeat itself... that the 2 fastest cars of the day powered by Red Bull.. shall play marginal strategies, and the 3rd, unfancied punter shall become champion?

You just never know huh
There's also 81 where Williams' Reutemann lost out to Piquet after internal disputes with Alan Jones. And it is suggested that Reutemann's lack of pace at the finale in Vegas (in comparison to his team mate, who dominated the race) may not have been his own doing, similar to Irvine at Suzuka in 99

That's the sort of thing I'm hoping Red Bull wouldn't stoop to, but it would certainly remove the question of whether or not to impose team orders, and it would remove the "problem" of Mark beating Seb, wouldn't it?
Old 10 Nov 2010, 22:57 (Ref:2788321)   #1771
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
If Renault cares about the WDC.. I wonder if their alleged favourite son might get a little edge at the weekend...

Go Potsie
Old 10 Nov 2010, 23:03 (Ref:2788326)   #1772
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Also I've just noticed this thread has the 3rd highest number of posts in the F1 forum, behind only the Spygate thread and last year's silly season thread

I am proud to have started such a monolith
Old 11 Nov 2010, 04:16 (Ref:2788394)   #1773
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Also I've just noticed this thread has the 3rd highest number of posts in the F1 forum, behind only the Spygate thread and last year's silly season thread

Are you on the usual 'pence per post' scheme then?
Old 11 Nov 2010, 16:46 (Ref:2788664)   #1774
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Good job mate...
Old 11 Nov 2010, 17:21 (Ref:2788677)   #1775
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

This tells us that the people of 10 Tenths like to argue round in circles. I eagerly await round 3 next year...assuming Webber doesn't go to Renault.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Closed Thread