Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 25 Jul 2011, 20:13 (Ref:2931051)   #1
Tuatha
Rookie

United Kingdom
Suffolk, UK
Tuatha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering joining BMMC

Hi, I am thinking about joining the BMMC (I have registered my interest in the http://www.marshals.co.uk/try.php).

I probably couldn't do that many events & they'd need to be within about 2hrs of Ipswich but that would cover Snetterton, Brands & maybe Rockingham. Is that too limited? Would that be any use to Marshals?

I would welcome peoples views.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 20:40 (Ref:2931065)   #2
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuatha View Post
I probably couldn't do that many events & they'd need to be within about 2hrs of Ipswich but that would cover Snetterton, Brands & maybe Rockingham. Is that too limited? Would that be any use to Marshals?
There are some marshals that only marshal one circuit, so you're not limiting yourself there. I'm moving this thread to the main marshals forum where I'm sure you'll get a wide range of responses and suggestions.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 22:35 (Ref:2931111)   #3
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
with those cars, you'd get to Silverstone in 2 hours!

I suggest that you do your taster day, and when that confirms that you're hooked then go ahead & join up if you wish. Not essential to join anywhere, but most of us do tend to join BMMC & our main / local circuit or club.

Enjoy your taster day
Old 25 Jul 2011, 23:58 (Ref:2931138)   #4
FRENCHIE44T
Racer

England
High Wycombe, BUCKS
FRENCHIE44T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hi, I am thinking about joining the BMMC (I have registered my interest in the http://www.marshals.co.uk/try.php).

I started like you, but that was nearly 23 years ago. The rest as they say, is history.
There is not a minimum or maximun of what you have to do. Just fit it in with your lifestyle and enjoy yourself.

Welcome to the orange army.
Old 26 Jul 2011, 06:49 (Ref:2931184)   #5
Steve Fox
Racer

United Kingdom
S.W.London
Steve Fox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRENCHIE44T View Post

Welcome to the orange army.
Enjoy your taster day but remember being in the orange army is very, very addictive
Old 26 Jul 2011, 07:41 (Ref:2931196)   #6
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Is that too limited? Would that be any use to Marshals?
Hi Tuatha

Welcome...

TBH even just doing one or two days is not too limited - it is entirely up to you what you do and you will be welcomed whatever.....

However here is the crunch.....marshaling really should have a "Government Warning".....because my best guess is that you'll end up travelling further, and doing far more days than you ever imagined.....

Look at me....

I started once I had permission from the missus to do 10, and only 10, days a year.....and provided it didn't cost very much.

That quickly (first year) turned into about 30+ days a year..

Strange thing is - missus is now a marshal as well, also doing 30+ days a year...

Oh yes, and then there's the racing...when money allows we now also race......lost count of the number of days spent building and maintaining the race car...you can imagine the cost...

Hmmm - 10 days a year she said..........

As for clubs - frankly it doesn't really matter who you join, and you can join more than one. For instance the missus and I both belong to BMMC and Silverstone Marshals Team. However if you plan to marshal at more than one circuit - but are limited geographically I would suggest BMMC as it is really the only National Club entirely for marshals.

Drop me a PM if you like and I can sort that out/answer any questions for you as I am on the Regional Committee for BMMC.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 07:38 (Ref:2931647)   #7
schrammy
Racer

England
Scratby
schrammy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Totally agree with all the above and when (not if) you get hooked, join some of your fellow marshals in Flames at Snet. Lesson 1, get your breakfast sorted !!
Welcome to the madhouse !!
Old 28 Jul 2011, 20:45 (Ref:2932260)   #8
skeee
Racer

Cyprus
Wiltshire
skeee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Even if you only did a few a year, Brands (as would the others I'd imagine) would certainly appreciate it as I've been there a few times this year when we were a little undermanned!

I totally agree with previous posts, it is very addictive, an a right laugh at times!
Old 30 Jul 2011, 08:18 (Ref:2933191)   #9
Slipstick
Racer

United Kingdom
N. Staffs
Slipstick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I have just joined the BMMC. I did a little bit of marshalling before but not for over 10 years and I've now retired...so I guess that may make me the oldest trainee out there.

I'm not planning on doing loads of meetings or going too far from home either, unless the bug really gets me too. But as I like little clubbie meetings (especialy 750MC and the car clubs) I'm hoping I might still be useful. Perhaps things have changed a lot but when I was around last they were often just a tad short of experienced marshals and would welcome any willing warm body. In fact what got me started last time round was increasingly desperate early morning tannoy calls at a 750MC meeting saying that if they couldn't get a few of the hangers-on from the paddock to go out and marshal they weren't going to be able to run the meeting...I turned up, got to do some flag waving and enjoyed myself no end .

Give it a try - Steve
Old 30 Jul 2011, 12:48 (Ref:2933292)   #10
haystacks
Veteran

England
Sittingbourne Kent
haystacks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve, as said before be very wary of the orange, it,s addictive.
Old 1 Aug 2011, 20:49 (Ref:2934710)   #11
snetterton madness
Rookie

England
Norwich
snetterton madness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hubby applied to volunteer at the btcc at Snetterton, he got a phone call from Peter Rodwell the chief Marshall from brscc who explained a bit about what goes on and asked if he was interested, hubby said yes.
Hubby explained that i had to take him as he cant drive and could he have a extra ticket so i could spectate, Peter said for me to do a a taster day aswell, when hubby told me i fell about laughing.
I am now nearly completing my 4th year and doing between 20 and 30 days a year depending on work commitments and love it .
we even camp over during the summer even though i live 30 minutes down the road.
You make so many friends and you feel you are part of the big orange family.
it
Old 1 Aug 2011, 21:40 (Ref:2934738)   #12
warweezil
Racer

England
Half way up on the left - far from Home
warweezil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On my second weekend in Orange I took someone with me to Pembrey to watch the racing on Goodwood weekend, but he was spotted sitting in my car outside sign on and I was persuaded to help press-gang him to help make up the depleted numbers on post.... 3 years later he still turns out of bed at stupid o'clock to come play with the cars