Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 8 Oct 2011, 12:04 (Ref:2967547)   #101
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Before the keyboard warriors get too involved in attacking residents, it would probably be worth them understanding the law relating to noise nuisance.

Circuits work very closely with their local residents, they have to. The law is on the side of the residents so it's better to work with them rather than just **** them off.
Old 8 Oct 2011, 12:14 (Ref:2967548)   #102
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
I love motorsport, the village love's motorsport and we're delighted to have a World Class circuit right on our doorstep.

However,what we don't like is a poxy 1996 Golf GTi, or similar, running around at 3.00am in the morning with a blown exhaust!

Try living near the North Circ.! I love the variety at the Britcar 24. In my humble opinion, it is precisely because there a folks who can do such a competent job with such humble machinery that we have a motorsport industry at all
Old 8 Oct 2011, 12:37 (Ref:2967554)   #103
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
The law is on the side of the residents so it's better to work with them rather than just **** them off.
Indeed. But other than not running the event at all (which the above local resident seems to be advocating) I can't see what Britcar can do above the current steps of overly silenced cars, no tannoy in the evening and running the event late in the year so people aren't likely to be in their garden or having windows open.

Singling out the "1996 Golf GTi" seems nothing more than snobbishness.
Old 8 Oct 2011, 13:34 (Ref:2967572)   #104
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The discussion started from the point of people complaining that competitors had been stopped from competing until they met the noise limit.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 14:03 (Ref:2968719)   #105
Svierge
Racer

Finland
Bucks/UK
Svierge has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Don't need to move, we just lean on the Circuit, the Parish Council and the South Northants Council - result: Britcar 24hrs get's dumped, everything else stays.That's how it works around here - Simples
I will probably be banned for this, but I don't mind. Anyone who uses the word 'simples' deserves a everything they get.

Just because the motorsport is not of a high enough standard for you, you would therefore prefer it not to take place? That is essentially what you're stating. Unfortunately we don't all race in the LMS (though a surprising number of us in the Britcar 24 - teams, personnel and drivers - have considerable LMS, FIA GT and ALMS experience), but we all love motorsport and therefore love the chance of competing in a 24-hour race.

Dear god. As someone stated above, you clearly do not 'love motorsport' at all.

Steve Rouse. Race Engineer, Eclipse Motorsport. 2011 Winners of the race you'd prefer not to happen.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 10 Oct 2011 at 17:57. Reason: For the attack on another member - the rules do have to be applied.
Old 10 Oct 2011, 17:41 (Ref:2968794)   #106
dank
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
dank should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Next year's tickets are on sale now: http://www.britcar24hr.co.uk/twofor20/

So, no grumbling about the 'on the gate' prices next year, yeah?
Old 10 Oct 2011, 17:50 (Ref:2968797)   #107
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svierge View Post
I will probably be banned for this, but I don't mind. Anyone who uses the word 'simples' deserves a everything they get.
Just because the motorsport is not of a high enough standard for you, you would therefore prefer it not to take place? That is essentially what you're stating. Unfortunately we don't all race in the LMS (though a surprising number of us in the Britcar 24 - teams, personnel and drivers - have considerable LMS, FIA GT and ALMS experience), but we all love motorsport and therefore love the chance of competing in a 24-hour race.

Dear god. As someone stated above, you clearly do not 'love motorsport' at all.

Steve Rouse. Race Engineer, Eclipse Motorsport. 2011 Winners of the race you'd prefer not to happen.
Attack the post and not the person posting...any further posts like this will send you on a vacation.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 10 Oct 2011 at 17:57.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 11 Oct 2011, 08:17 (Ref:2969114)   #108
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The only member who seem's to understand my point is Piglet!

I have NO PROBLEM with the Britcar 24hrs - PROVIDING YOU ENSURE ALL CARS COMPLY WITH THE NOISE RESTRICTIONS.

Some members seem to think the noise restrictions are too severe and the policing of them too strict.

Well heads up guys, I'm trying to give you some informed advice!!!!

I'm a villager who loves motorsport, but there are those that don't, and unless you stay on top of the noise situation you could well loose your event.

Don't shoot the messenger - I'm giving you inside advice - act on it or ignore it - your choice.
Old 11 Oct 2011, 19:53 (Ref:2969490)   #109
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure that if the Golf was over noise limits he would have been pulled in - infact they probably was once identified. throughout the race the Scrutineers were policing it strictly as shown in the previously mentioned case - at times they were asked to check the cars as they past the pits or when in the pits for the pit-stops.
Old 13 Oct 2011, 13:28 (Ref:2970506)   #110
Capitano
Rookie

Capitano should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was MY golf Little Man

Just because it is an old car doesn't give you the right to call it "Poxy"!!!

We finished 4th in Class and 13th overall in front of Porsches and Astons, so let me tell you....it did NOT have a "Blown Exhaust" as you stated, and was far from "Poxy"

We noise tested at 87dB static noise test, well well below most if not all other cars. The exhaust was a high quality bespoke 3 box system (due to the fact that it is a night race) and looked brand new at the end of the race!!!

If you were a real race fan as you make out, you would be congratulating it for its giant killing efforts, not calling it poxy, and definitely not accusing it of keeping you awake due to its sewing machine like 87dB.

Simples....
Old 13 Oct 2011, 13:50 (Ref:2970514)   #111
hellblade
Rookie

England
Gillingham, Medway
hellblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was gunna say the golf and all the 'little' cars were mice (in terms of noise) compared to the aquilla or the aston out there (i marshalled at the event).

And not being funny but if the noise effects the village so much why did people actually choose to live there (its been a race track since like 1950) your quite daft if you didnt notice the track tbh, deprive silverstone of events like the britcar 24hr (next le mans 24hr or the f1?) and your robbing your country not just your village of tourism and engineering enterprise.

Think before you throw your dummy out of the pram (not directed at specific people ).
Old 13 Oct 2011, 14:21 (Ref:2970535)   #112
Drummer
Rookie

England
Northamptonshire, England
Drummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here goes another Croft situation, all over again!

Karen and I slept soundly in a 2006, 1.2l three door Vauxhall Corsa, twenty meters or so from all that horrible "noise", right behind the Race Control building. If we can sleep soundly there, of all places... Well, I'm sure anyone can sleep soundly at a greater distance from the source of said "noise".

In other news: I hear they're trying to get night time matches stopped at Wembley, due to the locals moaning about the traffic and noise of fans leaving the stadium... [/sarcasm] *facepalm* Great race, and thankyou to everyone who made it possible, looking forward to next year! (If it goes ahead)

[EDIT]

To anyone local, who's kept awake by all the 'noise': Why not come and marshal with us? I mean, if you're awake anyway, and you love motorsport so much... I can honestly say that it's a great way to get involved, and you meet some brilliant people!

Last edited by Drummer; 13 Oct 2011 at 14:26.
Old 13 Oct 2011, 15:51 (Ref:2970568)   #113
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
The real issue is not whether WE can sleep through it (I was in a single skin tent opposite the BRDC, right on the apex...) but if nimbys who move to a village can. Personally, if I lived there, I'd be more upset by the A43 dual carriageway on my doorstep, but that's council built and run... Hmmm. Perhaps that noisy exhaust was road traffic?

Think Castle Combe where a new housing estate was built, folk moved in and THEN kicked off. Same with Kemble, in Gloucestershire. Folk bought cheap, ex RAF accomodation, and then complained about historic aircraft buzzing about flying out of the ex RAF base next door. You'd think they would connect these things, but they never do!
Old 13 Oct 2011, 18:05 (Ref:2970614)   #114
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I must say, you guy's are unbelieveably arrogant and inconsiderate.Your narrow minded obsession with Motor Sport clearly prevents you from considering any opinion other than your own.

I've lived in the village for 32 years.I've been going to Silverstone circuit since I was 6 years old and half the reason I moved to the village was the attraction of having the track close by.From 9am to 6.00pm, 7 days a week, I love the sound of racing engines.

The Britcar 24hrs is something no villager ever factored in.It's a recent event that goes right through the night.Again, no problem - just keep the noise within the restrictions.You guy's, however, don't say "Thanks mate, we understand your point" No - you just refer to us, with contempt, as "nimby" locals.

Well, the next time the Parish Council survey's local views regarding the Britcar 24hrs, I'm going to change my vote to NO.You don't deserve my support.
Old 13 Oct 2011, 18:15 (Ref:2970617)   #115
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
brands hatch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellblade View Post
And not being funny but if the noise effects the village so much why did people actually choose to live there (its been a race track since like 1950) your quite daft if you didnt notice the track tbh, deprive silverstone of events like the britcar 24hr (next le mans 24hr or the f1?) and your robbing your country not just your village of tourism and engineering enterprise.

Think before you throw your dummy out of the pram (not directed at specific people ).
Agreed.

We have always thought this about Brands Hatch aswell, I will never get how you can choose to live next to a race track and then complain about "noise". I live in fairly close proximity to a main railway line and you don't hear me complaining when the odd quarter mile long freight train goes through at 3 in the morning. We chose to live there, you expect it, so you deal with it.

Britcar is one night a year, if it was more frequent perhaps I would vaguely see where those who complain are coming from, but its not.
Old 13 Oct 2011, 18:29 (Ref:2970627)   #116
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
That was MY golf Little Man

Just because it is an old car doesn't give you the right to call it "Poxy"!!!

We finished 4th in Class and 13th overall in front of Porsches and Astons, so let me tell you....it did NOT have a "Blown Exhaust" as you stated, and was far from "Poxy"

We noise tested at 87dB static noise test, well well below most if not all other cars. The exhaust was a high quality bespoke 3 box system (due to the fact that it is a night race) and looked brand new at the end of the race!!!

If you were a real race fan as you make out, you would be congratulating it for its giant killing efforts, not calling it poxy, and definitely not accusing it of keeping you awake due to its sewing machine like 87dB.

Simples....
Nicely put and congrats to your team.

btw....I'm sure littleman is composing an apology at this moment
Old 13 Oct 2011, 18:30 (Ref:2970629)   #117
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
perhaps mr tucker should get some sponsorship from pfiser or some such drug company and hand out free valium for the whole 4 days to local peeps !!! ;-)
Old 13 Oct 2011, 18:49 (Ref:2970637)   #118
vyselegend
Racer

France
Paris, France
vyselegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well I must say, you guy's are unbelieveably arrogant and inconsiderate.Your narrow minded obsession with Motor Sport clearly prevents you from considering any opinion other than your own.

I've lived in the village for 32 years.I've been going to Silverstone circuit since I was 6 years old and half the reason I moved to the village was the attraction of having the track close by.From 9am to 6.00pm, 7 days a week, I love the sound of racing engines.

The Britcar 24hrs is something no villager ever factored in.It's a recent event that goes right through the night.Again, no problem - just keep the noise within the restrictions.You guy's, however, don't say "Thanks mate, we understand your point" No - you just refer to us, with contempt, as "nimby" locals.

Well, the next time the Parish Council survey's local views regarding the Britcar 24hrs, I'm going to change my vote to NO.You don't deserve my support.
Sorry if I sound naive and simple, but I'm sure you guys can calm down and reach an agreement if you stop agressing each other (which means first: if you stop feeling agressed by others when they give a point of view which you don't like).

Littleman, I can understand excessive noise in the night can be anoying, but surely there are'nt dozens of events like that through the year. I mean, if it's just once a year, can't you sit on your comfort for just that week end, and let your fellow racing fans enjoy their race?

Where I work once a year we must work a saturday for free (as part of a -sort of- charity event for the school), and sure this is annoying, but in the end it's just once a year so we can live with that. You know what I mean, it's about accepting a compromise, if for some reasonable reason...

Anyway I think you're all wrong, and you should be punished by God for breaking the 13th commandment: "During the Petit Le Mans race thou shall keep quiet and stay focused on the streaming and live timing. Any other action is forbiden and considered blasphemy!"
Old 13 Oct 2011, 20:59 (Ref:2970698)   #119
JurekB
Racer

Poland
Stoke on Trent
JurekB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Wow what a bitter individual you are. I had every sympathy for your position but 2 or 3 people on the internet disagree with you and you decide you're going to do your best to stop an event enjoyed by thousands. The mind boggles. I hope when the time comes you'll have calmed down a little bit. If not and you successfully contribute to getting the event closed down then I hope you'll be very happy with yourself.
Old 13 Oct 2011, 21:15 (Ref:2970703)   #120
hellblade
Rookie

England
Gillingham, Medway
i live ten minutes from brands hatch and before i started marshalling you could barely hear the cars during the day - fair enough there was normal road and daylight hour noises but still, for the sake of what? two days a year someone needs to bite the bullet.

Tbh i doubt silverstone village (and most of the surrounding area) would have gotten as well developed as it is now without the race track, you say you love motorsport after reading your comments i might actually be tempted to call you a liar.
Old 13 Oct 2011, 21:16 (Ref:2970704)   #121
hellblade
Rookie

England
Gillingham, Medway
"During the Petit Le Mans race thou shall keep quiet and stay focused on the streaming and live timing. Any other action is forbiden and considered blasphemy!"[/QUOTE]

too true
Old 13 Oct 2011, 21:39 (Ref:2970726)   #122
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As a motorsport fan and marshal, I've always wondered why it needs to be noisy anyway. Can't hear the PA, long term affects the hearing of those of us closest to it and it gives an argument to the locals who don't like it. Just set the limits at road level for everything other than F1, LMS and MotoGP and there's no issue.

Sure we like it noisy (actually that depends on what it is - I like V8s to be noisy but F3 is just plain unpleasant) but if my neighbour liked heavy metal at full volume I'd be sounding just like the villagers.

I don't imagine any of them were expecting racing all night when they moved in, so they have a point as well. Noise limits are well publicised and at the sharp end they're professional teams, so stick to the regs and don't complain if you don't. You wouldn't accept them running tyres that were an inch too wide just because the regulations didn't suit the way their cars handled.
Old 13 Oct 2011, 22:37 (Ref:2970757)   #123
littleman
Veteran

It's pleasing to note Race Official's like Woolley and Piglet provide a sensible and reasoned approach to this topic.

What most of you probably don't realise, is that in the still of the night any noise travels further and louder.

I'm used to the fairly regular scream of an F1 engine (usually start and straight line testing) most days of the week and I love it.In the day time the sound just seems to mingle with the hubbub of every day life.

At night, even a heavily silenced Golf Gti (congratulations by the way) carries for miles.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 22:15 (Ref:2971356)   #124
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Somehow, I very much dout it was the Golf you heard.
Nice wind up, Gary...