Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 15 Nov 2011, 11:08 (Ref:2986649)   #976
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Hmmm. San Luis Mille Millia?
Old 15 Nov 2011, 11:48 (Ref:2986654)   #977
vyselegend
Racer

France
Paris, France
vyselegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post
I hope that the WEC bypasses a bunch of the ridiculous F1 corners at the end of the Fuji track.
Yes, I'd like they scrap them too, like in the old layout:

But I very much doubt they'd do it even if it is possible (I'm not sure the old corner still exists, I believe it has been covered with grass) because it would shorten the track length, and they've been quite touchy with that matter recently (it's even their main argument for the Road Atlanta let down).

Appart from being boring to watch and feeling unnatural to drive, those last corners are going to be a traffic nightmare ...
Old 15 Nov 2011, 11:52 (Ref:2986658)   #978
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A season-ending classic would be nice, but I don't know. Japan would probably be the best chance to have a solidly supported race.

I wonder if an Asian Le Mans Series could be banded together for the last three races. Perhaps all the WEC entrants could be eligible for it or you could have another couple of races (perhaps in test markets) in order to have a more solid base of Asian round field fillers. Of course, this might be a bad idea given the ∀IℲ/ACO's propensity to not play along well with regional affiliates.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 11:56 (Ref:2986661)   #979
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The green layout is fine. In fact, I hope that is what they would run.

As opposed to the F1 track of this.

Old 15 Nov 2011, 12:08 (Ref:2986665)   #980
vyselegend
Racer

France
Paris, France
vyselegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post
The green layout is fine. In fact, I hope that is what they would run.
Yes, I was just reffering to the obscene turns 13 to 16, not the first sector which is ok as it is now.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 12:09 (Ref:2986666)   #981
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyselegend View Post
it would shorten the track length, and they've been quite touchy with that matter recently (it's even their main argument for the Road Atlanta let down).
It's not the length of the circuit itself that's (allegedly) the problem, but the density of the cars. Surely we won't see 50-60 car field at Fuji like we would at @ PLM, more like 25-35.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 13:21 (Ref:2986689)   #982
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Now THAT has classic written all over it!

As for the presented calender tend I agree with the general opinion. Bahrain shouldn't be on there in any shape or form and the calender would very much benefit from a bigger event at the end of the season to keep the interest in the series up troughout the year.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 13:40 (Ref:2986702)   #983
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can see why Japan gets a race (and so they should, with their history of enthusiasm for sportscar racing) and Brazil is motor racing mad, so OK, but Bahrain was such a mess even the F1 boys wouldn't go there and the ILMC race in China didn't attract much interest.

San Luis would be epic, but that's not going to happen.

I've not had time to read all this thread, but what's the word on TV 'coverage' - Are we doomed to 1.5 hours of the end of each race with a 5 minute recap from Eurosport (so they can squeeze in another 4 hours of live snooker or a local Women's tennis match)?

The ILMC coverage this year was nearly as good as pitiful...

M.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 13:56 (Ref:2986709)   #984
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosgt View Post

I've not had time to read all this thread, but what's the word on TV 'coverage' - Are we doomed to 1.5 hours of the end of each race with a 5 minute recap from Eurosport (so they can squeeze in another 4 hours of live snooker or a local Women's tennis match)?

The ILMC coverage this year was nearly as good as pitiful...

M.
I don't know about your side of the pond, but in the States we will see Sebring (net streaming live with tv highlights delayed). After that we will get some LeMans coverage but nothing has been announced for the rest of the schedule.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 13:58 (Ref:2986710)   #985
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
As far as I know nothing is announced yet.

I don't know if the multi year Eurosport deal will still be valid due to the changes in status.

If not I really hope they go back to full live coverage on Motors TV with a highlights package on a more mainstream channel.

Or maybe in the UK the BBC will pick it up to replace some of its F1 coverage??
Old 15 Nov 2011, 15:33 (Ref:2986750)   #986
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
the ACO isn't sure how ALMS/WEC races will be handled past next year. They're still debating whether to keep Sebring or to run a different event, if they're running in America at all.
How about the 8 Hours of Texas at Austin two weeks after Sebring?
Old 15 Nov 2011, 15:39 (Ref:2986754)   #987
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
I wonder if an Asian Le Mans Series could be banded together for the last three races. Perhaps all the WEC entrants could be eligible for it or you could have another couple of races (perhaps in test markets) in order to have a more solid base of Asian round field fillers.
Actually, to compete for the Asian LMS there shouldn't be any restrictions. The point should be to attract Asian (Australian?) teams to run just those three races. Those teams already do other championships, so forcing them to race at Europe or the Americas would disencourage them. The ACO should put some sugar on it (LM24 entries for the winners), so they like it and come back for more.

Quote:
Ha! I'd love that, I'd surely take a bus to San Luis (unlike GT1). But no, Potrero de los Funes is too dangerous for LMPs.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 16:09 (Ref:2986761)   #988
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Pretty certain it doesn't have the correct classification of licence Tim
Old 15 Nov 2011, 16:46 (Ref:2986783)   #989
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Mil Milhas Brasileiras at Interlagos would be the right thing to do.

Quote:
I hope the ALMS goes for the kill at Sebring in 2012. Let the IMSA P1s (and all the other classes to be honest) have massively wide restrictors, weight breaks, and don't mandate BHHs and BHFs. Make the WEC cars look like the global DP formula and the IMSA cars look mega super awesome.
Do you honestly believe that a handful of Autocon-like entries with some larger restrictors, would make everyone super excited? I imagine you thought of something IMSA GTP-looking, but it just isn't going to happen.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 17:29 (Ref:2986798)   #990
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
None of us realistically expected PLM to be part of the WEC in 2012, but for the FiaACO to schedule a race directly in competition with it is just so stupid. It makes things difficult for everyone and it makes the fans (as well as some drivers, media, supplier personnel, etc.) have to choose instead of supporting both races.

Business is business, but this isn't smart business. It's about as smart as scheduling the US 500 on the same day as the Indy 500. Even idiots like Andrew Craig realized quickly how dumb of an idea that was. Having WEC cars, even just a few, helps promote the sport here in the US. It's not like the US fans are the only ones who care about Petit. How many care about Bahrain? Will it even be safe to travel there given the political unrest?

Audi and Peugeot do not seem thrilled with the decision. I'm sure some of the privateers (like Krohn) aren't happy. We know about the drivers. It's causing bad publicity amongst the fans. Having a race in the ME (even Bahrain) is one thing, but why have it on the same day as Petit? That's the most puzzling part.

It could be argued that the FIA/World Championship name is beneficial to the sport, but I don't see how anyone can argue that the organization itself (besides the name) is beneficial at all. They are a pox on this sport and it's just a matter of time before history repeats itself.
Everyone is aware more effort should have been made to avoid a clash with PLM, but that applies equaly to the ALMS as WEC. Rather than taking a step back and seeing if there's a way to give WEC teams an opportunity to run at PLM*, the series came out immediately to confirm the date, similar to how they placed a couple of TBA races on their calender, or last years late confirmation of the TV/media deal, they appear to rush into decisions, don't read the small print or are overly optimistic.

I've read a lot about this whole WEC situation, on the other side of the pond there doesn't appear to be much understanding of how the FIA/ACO operate or how common international racing is for European and Asian teams. But why should they, I don't have the first idea how NASCAR operates, their feeder series, why tracks are closed to other series etc.

You have to see things from the European perspective, we've sat from affar admiring what the ALMS deliverd, but seen it and the LMS gradually shed entries from the sharp end of the field. Meanwhile series which sportscars, while not matching, should be looking to emulate, have pushed on, becoming ever more global and professional.

When you see such things with your own eyes, and hear a continual drip, drip of negative ALMS news and views, to the point where some query it's very existence, things need to be taken in-house. PLM being in or out, clash or not, isn't going to break the ALMS, it's what show the series delivers for the full ten or so rounds. I wouldn't expect Dyson and Corvette to come and spice up the LMS, the ALMS can't rely on European entries to ensure the 10 hour LMP race doesn't become a farce.

And let's not kid ourselves, if PLM was in the WEC, we'd now be reading how disgraceful it is ALMS competitors would be turfed out, or the shine taken off their title battle.

*Audi appear the only realistic possible entrant, a manufactuer who if they valued the series so much, have it within their power to run a car for at least a partial series.

Last edited by JAG; 15 Nov 2011 at 17:38.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 18:36 (Ref:2986820)   #991
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Everyone is aware more effort should have been made to avoid a clash with PLM, but that applies equaly to the ALMS as WEC. Rather than taking a step back and seeing if there's a way to give WEC teams an opportunity to run at PLM*, the series came out immediately to confirm the date, similar to how they placed a couple of TBA races on their calender, or last years late confirmation of the TV/media deal, they appear to rush into decisions, don't read the small print or are overly optimistic.

I've read a lot about this whole WEC situation, on the other side of the pond there doesn't appear to be much understanding of how the FIA/ACO operate or how common international racing is for European and Asian teams. But why should they, I don't have the first idea how NASCAR operates, their feeder series, why tracks are closed to other series etc.

You have to see things from the European perspective, we've sat from affar admiring what the ALMS deliverd, but seen it and the LMS gradually shed entries from the sharp end of the field. Meanwhile series which sportscars, while not matching, should be looking to emulate, have pushed on, becoming ever more global and professional.

When you see such things with your own eyes, and hear a continual drip, drip of negative ALMS news and views, to the point where some query it's very existence, things need to be taken in-house. PLM being in or out, clash or not, isn't going to break the ALMS, it's what show the series delivers for the full ten or so rounds. I wouldn't expect Dyson and Corvette to come and spice up the LMS, the ALMS can't rely on European entries to ensure the 10 hour LMP race doesn't become a farce.

And let's not kid ourselves, if PLM was in the WEC, we'd now be reading how disgraceful it is ALMS competitors would be turfed out, or the shine taken off their title battle.

*Audi appear the only realistic possible entrant, a manufactuer who if they valued the series so much, have it within their power to run a car for at least a partial series.
You have a very valid point - why didnt ALMS simply hold the date of PLM until the announcement was made - and why dont they now just change the date??

Toyota now have a great opportunity to go and win PLM next year if they so desire.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 20:38 (Ref:2986903)   #992
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I'm not buying this... something else is going on. The traditional date for PLM was moved back 3 weeks. Why?
Old 15 Nov 2011, 20:55 (Ref:2986911)   #993
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
If I was ALMS , Id be lookin at changin the PLM date to fit in with the WEC .
Old 15 Nov 2011, 22:48 (Ref:2986978)   #994
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I'm not buying this... something else is going on. The traditional date for PLM was moved back 3 weeks. Why?
I have heard that ALMS didn't want the WEC guys at Petit.

That was the world in the paddock at Petit.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 23:12 (Ref:2986992)   #995
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Moving PLM won't work anyway. Even in the largest gap, it will either be one week after Fuji, or one week before Bahrain. I can't see the WEC teams agreeing to that one, or deciding to come across for it, and then have to jump back across the pacific right away.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 00:31 (Ref:2987019)   #996
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well, supposedly the ALMS wasn't even told about the Bahrain date until the announcement day. I seems feasible to think that the ALMS wasn't even consulted about the Bahrain race date. It almost seems to me that Bahrain made the ∀IℲ an offer and they went down on their DeltaWing in no time at all. That was that.

I suppose the ALMS could have waited until the ACO announced their schedule, but then the ALMS might not have been able to announce their schedule until late November or so. That's far from ideal. The WEC schedule was released late as it is.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 09:41 (Ref:2987138)   #997
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
WEC's September 30th Fuji date was leaked/revealed months ago, so they probably didn't want to clash with that.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 18:21 (Ref:2987857)   #998
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A few bits and pieces from Autosport.

-The schedule has a long summer gap to avoid clashes with the European Football Championship and Olympics.

-Patrick Peter is a partner in the organisors of the WEC (wants to make clear distinction between WEC and LMS)

-AF Corse (Pecom) will run an ORECA-Nissan in the WEC

-ORECA looking to start an Asian LMPC endurance series, tested twenty Chinese drivers in Shanghai last month
Old 17 Nov 2011, 18:46 (Ref:2987865)   #999
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
-The schedule has a long summer gap to avoid clashes with the European Football Championship and Olympics.
Umm, this might have a lot to do with Eurosport. Clashes surely doesn't help in anycase but it's not like these are direct competitors in a worldwide scale unless they're supposed to be on a same channel at the same time.

Edit: These = WEC vs. Euro football & olympics

Last edited by deggis; 17 Nov 2011 at 18:59.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 18:54 (Ref:2987869)   #1000
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Umm, this might have a lot to do with Eurosport. Clashes surely doesn't help in anycase but it's not like these are direct competitors in a worldwide scale unless they're supposed to be on a same channel at the same time.
Le Mans also clashes with the euro cup, not to bothered as it is football :').