Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 9 Jan 2012, 21:06 (Ref:3009522)   #1
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Long Beach GP applications

Now in its 38th year, The Long Beach Grand Prix is North America's premier street race. This year features an IndyCar and ALMS doubleheader, plus Indy Lights single seaters, World Challenge sedans, the always-exciting celebrity race, and pro drifting. Dates are April 13-15, with hole-cutting on the morning of the 12th.

Applications have just been released for this event, with a deadline of February 25. You must have MSA "international" approval to apply, and supply a copy with your app if you have not been at the event before. As usual, there will be donuts and coffee at the morning meetings, lunches and drinks at the stations all three days. The first evening's cooldown party will feature pizza, the second will be a BBQ, and the infamous Fuddruckers post-event bash on Sunday will give us lots of time for bench racing. We expect to run the same configuration as in the past 8 years, including Turn 2 (fountain) and two-way traffic on Shoreline Dr.

We welcome friends from all over to Long Beach. Remember that North American standard is white clothing -- t shirt and white jeans or Dickies painter pants, which are easy to buy at workwear places locally if you come into town a day early. No need for steelies; see any of the "international" threads for more info. And those of you who have never seen landline communication in action are in for a real treat!

PM me with your e mail address if you'd like an app.
keke

PS. Notice the prudent wording of this post. If you reply, please use similar restraint.
Old 10 Jan 2012, 12:40 (Ref:3009804)   #2
f1madmatt
Racer

England
Leicester
f1madmatt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tempted. When I marshalled the Toronto Indy last year , the guys were saying that Long beach is a fantastic race to do
Old 10 Jan 2012, 13:26 (Ref:3009816)   #3
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1madmatt View Post
Tempted. When I marshalled the Toronto Indy last year , the guys were saying that Long beach is a fantastic race to do
DO IT!!!!!! its a fantastic place to be.....amazing race/atmousphere, the other corner workers are fantastic and really welcoming...its the fondest memory i have of my marshalling career.....one of those things that will always live with you!
Old 10 Jan 2012, 14:20 (Ref:3009844)   #4
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how do you get the MSA "international" approval ?
Old 10 Jan 2012, 14:22 (Ref:3009845)   #5
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Ascarracing, i did the Longbeach Indy GP last yaer and had a fantastic time. The level of hospitality for the marshals totally outweighs anything I've ever experienced before. Add this to great weather, great grids of cars, fantastic location and the chance to marshal somewhere completely different makes it a trip of a lifetime. Made some great friends over in the US. I just wish I could afford to do the trip more often.

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 10 Jan 2012, 14:22 (Ref:3009846)   #6
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueFlyer View Post
how do you get the MSA "international" approval ?
That will be the MSA permission to marshal abroad for UK registered marshals. If you're registered with another country then you need to check with the department that deals with your marshals registration.

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 10 Jan 2012, 14:27 (Ref:3009848)   #7
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm, wonder if I can make it?
Old 10 Jan 2012, 18:27 (Ref:3009930)   #8
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel View Post
Hmmm, wonder if I can make it?
Depends on how successful your Vegas trip is, I guess.
keke
Old 10 Jan 2012, 19:37 (Ref:3009954)   #9
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
@TBF, Keke did not make it clear her invite is aimed at UK marshals. You need the written approval of the ASN in which you reside (ACUS for USA, CAMS for Australia, MSA for UK) that you are competent and graded above trainee to work FIA events outside your home country. I believe you should have something from the GPs you have been doing in the Far East.
Old 10 Jan 2012, 20:11 (Ref:3009972)   #10
Bodger
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
Bodger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would love to go to a race abroad.....maybe next year when I have enough cash to go
Old 10 Jan 2012, 22:03 (Ref:3010014)   #11
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Errm, I seem to have just booked for this, after saying I wouldn't be going this year as I'm doing Sebring instead. Ooops

If you can cope with longer than UK marshalling days in unforgiving baking temperatures, and being a stranger in a strange town doing strange things (but in a language you understand), then I'd recommend this event very much indeed!

And for reference, flights London - LA approx £600, and plenty of hotels around Long Beach.
Old 11 Jan 2012, 01:17 (Ref:3010059)   #12
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Green View Post
And for reference, flights London - LA approx £600, and plenty of hotels around Long Beach.
As long as you don't choose the hotel PapaJuliet and Deadsquirrel did their first time at Long Beach! (Ask before you book... Some not too nice areas around there.)
keke
Old 12 Jan 2012, 22:35 (Ref:3010938)   #13
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
Quote:
Originally Posted by theracegypsy View Post
@TBF, Keke did not make it clear her invite is aimed at UK marshals. You need the written approval of the ASN in which you reside (ACUS for USA, CAMS for Australia, MSA for UK) that you are competent and graded above trainee to work FIA events outside your home country. I believe you should have something from the GPs you have been doing in the Far East.
Well, the invite is not just for marshals from the UK, but Gypsy is right -- MSA approval is for UK folks. Otherwise, go thru your local FIA ASN or chief marshal. We have enjoyed the company of folks from Germany and Holland as well as the UK in the past, and we're always happy to see a few more.

Just remember that Long Beach is a street race, and as such requires more than average good judgement, and a definite willingness to "do as the Romans." Hope to see some of my Tenths friends there!
keke
Old 15 Jan 2012, 15:05 (Ref:3011893)   #14
AMP Marshal
Racer

Canada
Nova Scotia
AMP Marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would love to go to Long Beach, I've always heard great things about the track, the grids, the marshals, but I'm committed to Montreal in June and Austin Tx, if it actually happens.
Old 15 Jan 2012, 19:25 (Ref:3012011)   #15
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMP Marshal View Post
I would love to go to Long Beach, I've always heard great things about the track, the grids, the marshals, but I'm committed to Montreal in June and Austin Tx, if it actually happens.
I'm looking forward to Austin also... but more importantly to Weehawken/West New York the year after. Hopefully some international experience will get me a spot there. If I can get a volunteer spot half way around the world, I really want to be considered five minutes from home