Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 19 Jan 2012, 10:11 (Ref:3014010)   #26
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never fails
Old 19 Jan 2012, 12:33 (Ref:3014063)   #27
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersix View Post
For foreign events, how do you manage the language barrier? Is it true that the German organisers of the 'ring use more English than the French do at Le Mans?

The USA is probably less of a problem provided you don't ask someone for a fag in between races ...
It was my first Le Mans last year on a 'mixed' post - we had French, Dutch, Danish, Canadian and Brits. I was concerned as my French is almost non-existant. After a French colleague and I put out a fire between us and got the car back behind the barriers, sans speaking, my concern reduced! It was even better that the driver involved was asking if anyone understood English

In all seriousness, I've been able to survive, make some new friends and only used sign language. A marshal's a marshal wherever you find them and all 'speak' common language.
Old 19 Jan 2012, 12:50 (Ref:3014078)   #28
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersix View Post
For foreign events, how do you manage the language barrier? Is it true that the German organisers of the 'ring use more English than the French do at Le Mans?
The sector that I work at the 'Ring (The karousel) is manned predominantly by British marshals organised by a British domiciled American. Within our sector of 10 posts (40 marshals) we also have a German marshal and a Belgian marshal. We are in communication with the main post by landline or radio. The main post is manned by 3 German telephonists who all speak quite good English so no real problems with communications.

I have also marshalled a VLN meeting at the 'Ring where I was placed in a sector where no one spoke English. Thankfully the limited German that I had learnt whilst serving in Germany with the British Army was enough to get me by.

Marshalling at Zandvoort is no real problem as most of the Dutch speak English. In fact I've had more language problems at Knockhill than Zandvoort!

The other way round though is that Race Control at Thunderhills Raceway in California found it hard to understand my English / Scouse accent on the landline last year!

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 19 Jan 2012, 12:55 (Ref:3014083)   #29
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly 1 View Post
... Thankfully the limited German that I had learnt whilst serving in Germany with the British Army was enough to get me by...
Oh my Lord, I'd like to hear some of that!!! Or perhaps not, as the case may be.

Phil
Old 19 Jan 2012, 18:28 (Ref:3014212)   #30
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly 1 View Post
edited.-
Marshalling at Zandvoort is no real problem as most of the Dutch speak English. In fact I've had more language problems at Knockhill than Zandvoort!

The other way round though is that Race Control at Thunderhills Raceway in California found it hard to understand my English / Scouse accent on the landline last year!
I always have fun at Laguna Seca, where there is an expat Bristolian who flags regularly. We converse in Bristle and confuse everyone else.
Old 19 Jan 2012, 18:54 (Ref:3014222)   #31
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by theracegypsy View Post
I always have fun at Laguna Seca, where there is an expat Bristolian who flags regularly. We converse in Bristle and confuse everyone else.
Now that's a gurt lush ideal
Old 19 Jan 2012, 19:58 (Ref:3014245)   #32
Steve Milward
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Steve Milward should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Well, you wouldn't want the French involved in what is essentially a British branch of the sport.

Hmmm, think there might be a flaw in that argument somewhere.
Just a little bit unless Audi have a long lost British founder, but one less Johnny foreigner never hurt anything

*Disclaimer: I really like all people and brands of all nationality, the sentence above is an attempt at humour, please do not go off topic
Old 19 Jan 2012, 23:11 (Ref:3014324)   #33
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I love the way you suggest the flaw of Le Mans being a british sport might be a German team. That's properly made my night!
Old 20 Jan 2012, 14:54 (Ref:3014580)   #34
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its oft been said that Le Mans is the best British race, it just happens in France! Being there is an odd sensation, cos you are in the middle of France and almost everyone around you is speaking english!
Old 20 Jan 2012, 15:11 (Ref:3014589)   #35
Stack
Veteran

Thailand
Leicester but dreaming of Thailand
Stack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK here's a bit of fun for all you sportscar fans with too much time on your hands.

Hypothetically if I was to buy a Porsche 997 and would be willing to modify it in and way, how many possible series would I be able to consider.

“Beer is not the answer........Beer is the question .........The answer is yes.”