Old 20 Jan 2012, 10:12 (Ref:3014469)   #1
JonJ
Rookie

England
Uttoxeter, Staffs
JonJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Returning to Marshalling - Advice

Moring All,

I am hoping someone could give me some advice on getting back into the game after a few years out.

I need to dig out some paperwork, but I think I made it to the experienced grade before I took some time out (about 3 year ago?), and since then the MSA have continued to send me licenses through, though I haven't applied for the new style yet.

If I want to make it to a trainign day this year, probably Donington next week, can I still go for Track session, or do I need to go back to square one?
Do I need a club membership before I can hit a training day?

Anyone from BMMC able to tell me if I need to reapply as a first timer or can an expired membership be renewed a few years down the line?

Thanks all, hope to see you on the bank again soon.

Jon
Old 20 Jan 2012, 11:24 (Ref:3014495)   #2
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJ View Post
I am hoping someone could give me some advice on getting back into the game after a few years out.
Don't get dead!
Old 20 Jan 2012, 11:41 (Ref:3014501)   #3
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJ View Post

Anyone from BMMC able to tell me if I need to reapply as a first timer or can an expired membership be renewed a few years down the line.

Jon
Best advice is to a) contact the grading representative of your local BMMC region ( see BMMC website) - if suitable evidence is available it is possible to be re-instated at a previous level.
b) contact Chief Marshal of the club running the training day, available on web.

Welcome back.
Old 20 Jan 2012, 12:15 (Ref:3014523)   #4
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Welcome back Jon.
Old 20 Jan 2012, 15:12 (Ref:3014590)   #5
Lrawlings
Racer

England
Portsmouth England
Lrawlings should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome back, enjoy!
Old 20 Jan 2012, 18:06 (Ref:3014648)   #6
Steve Fox
Racer

United Kingdom
S.W.London
Steve Fox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that I would be tempted to ease back in, not sure how I would feel if I made a mistake simply from being a little rusty.
As for club membership, depending on how well your overalls have lasted (it is a well known fact that long term storage makes them shrink, particularly round the waist) because if you need fresh ones the club membership will actually show a profit as the sponsorship money that is paid back by the club means that you only end up paying 15 or 20 quid for overalls.
Old 20 Jan 2012, 18:25 (Ref:3014658)   #7
Pete Howarth
Veteran

England
New Waltham
Pete Howarth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had 4 years of not doing very few meetings, dropped off the lists. I rejoined BMMC last year and submitted experience sheets. I was regraded a grade lower than I had been in the past.
Old 20 Jan 2012, 18:37 (Ref:3014664)   #8
Lrawlings
Racer

England
Portsmouth England
Lrawlings should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think u have to attend so many meetings a year to keep grade???? Min of 4. But not 100% sure an may have just made it up in my sleep! Lol
Old 22 Jan 2012, 17:43 (Ref:3015362)   #9
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have kept up the BMMC membership etc, but have not performed my grade (flag) for over a year now and am unlikely to do so next year (due to illness) - although I have done other things like Assembly or even Pit Lane Hooter last year.

I do have 20+ years under my belt so I would expect that the powers that be would take this into account should anybody query my experience and why I have a blue/red badge.

Time does move on for some of the rules, but basic marshalling skills should remain the same. I don't know how the current grading scheme works, so just let them know of your previous experience and take it from there and I hope it gives you a foot up the ladder should you wish to get to the top.
Old 23 Jan 2012, 13:24 (Ref:3015680)   #10
JonJ
Rookie

England
Uttoxeter, Staffs
JonJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks guys, I have been in touch with the various Grading/Membership folks at BMMC, and there are forms in the post, so we shall see what they say.

Hopefully get a better idea after the Doningotn Training session this weekend.

Quote:
depending on how well your overalls have lasted (it is a well known fact that long term storage makes them shrink, particularly round the waist)
A good point, the one thing I haven't tested is the overalls....

Jon