Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 22 Jun 2012, 04:27 (Ref:3096217)   #51
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holt View Post
Yes, the #1 car has won Le Mans two years straight. However, I remember that the #1 car was the slowest of the 3 Audis in last year's race.
Actually... last year #1 (or #2 as it was back then) scored pole-win-fastest lap.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 04:44 (Ref:3096219)   #52
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Actually, I thought that this year was being referred to, but the #2 Audi (#1 in 2012) did get the trifecta of pole, win, and fastest lap in 2011. But in 2012, it seemed that in the end, they didn't really push that hard and worked more on consistency than outright one lap speed.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 06:10 (Ref:3096226)   #53
Holt
Veteran

United States
Holt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think its a bit misleading that the #1 earned pole/win/fastest lap. It is after all the only R18 that finished more then 8 hours of the race.

My memory of 2011 is that McNish was the fastest car on track in the early going. His accident happened when he was trying to pass the Fassler/Treluyer/Lotterer for the lead shortly after the first pit stops. He was held up by one of the Peugeots in the early going which delayed his progress. Thats different from this year when Lotterer managed to gap McNish by 45 or so seconds in the first two hours.

Also I remember that in the evening Rockenfeller was going very quickly and caught and passed the Fassler/Treluyer/Lotterer R18. He gapped them by over 30 seconds if my memory serves me correctly before tangling and crashing with the Ferrari.

So if McNish's early pace was anything to go by and Rockenfeller passing and gapping the Fassler Audi I think it's safe to say they probably would have ended up the 3rd fastest car in the race.

As a Peugeot supporter I was happy the Fassler/Treluyer/Lotterer R18 was the only one left, because from what I saw in that race they showed the least pace. Of course in happy hour, or early mourning they set the race fast time, but I think the other two R18s could have bettered that, if they were still around

Last edited by Holt; 22 Jun 2012 at 06:18.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 06:25 (Ref:3096228)   #54
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
My memory of 2011 is that McNish was the fastest car on track in the early going. His accident happened when he was trying to pass the Fassler/Treluyer/Lotterer for the lead shortly after the first pit stops.
McNish was battling with Bernhard for the lead when he crashed.
Quote:
Also I remember that in the evening Rockenfeller was going very quickly and caught and passed the Fassler/Treluyer/Lotterer R18. He gapped them by over 30 seconds if my memory serves me correctly before tangling and crashing with the Ferrari.
Rockenfeller was catching the #2 Audi until he crashed, but he never got into the lead. See http://fiawec.alkamelsystems.com/Res...uence_Race.PDF
Old 22 Jun 2012, 06:34 (Ref:3096233)   #55
Holt
Veteran

United States
Holt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, my memory is shot. I can't trust it.

I still believe a McNish/Kristensen/Gene combo can go head to head with the Fassler/Treluyer/Lotterer combo. After all they almost did it this year (with Capello) and probably would have pulled it off if not for the safety car interference. They were only so far down the order thanks to the rubber build up in their car. But they never lost a lap until McNish's crash.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 08:09 (Ref:3096269)   #56
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous View Post
A related question - will Dindo retire properly or might we see him in an R8? (daytona, spa, nurburgring, bathurst all beckon)
I'll be at Bathurst in any case, but yeah, that would be fantastic to see Dindo turn up in an R8 for the 12 hour next year. Worth going just to see this great champion in action. I realise that Audi wouldn't be putting the older guys in cars just for the sake of it, but it would be great PR value to them to have their great champions doing a "final fling" season of racing, if only to give the fans a good opportunity to witness them racing one last time. I could be wrong, but I get the impression that Dindo won't be doing a real lot of racing, when he does finally hang up his helmet. Which sort of begs the question, what do they have lined up for TK when he calls it quits?
On the main topic of replacements, I'd like to see Audi swing a few of their young guns into an R18. Not likely I suppose, but they have some great young guys who are showing plenty of promise and would certainly be capable enough, and with Dindo hanging around in some sort of mentoring capacity, it would make a lot of sense with both McNish and TK in the back end of their careers.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 10:14 (Ref:3096319)   #57
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dindo usually does the Monza Rally each November – and the last few years has been in a Citroen C4/DS3 WRC....Which I find amusing, driving a car of the PSA group.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 17:36 (Ref:3096492)   #58
KlBD
Racer

KlBD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My prediction -

#1 - Swap Duval for Fassler. Gotta love Marcel but you can't deny that Loic is faster and as someone said earlier, Super GT ftw!!!! Audi already have a monopolly on the top factory drivers for Japan's big 3, they might as well use that.

#2 - They get Bonanomi to replace Dindo. Pretty fair trade, keeps the #1 car pretty strong.

#3 - Jarvis and Rocky stay, maybe Fassler goes here but I would also like to see Edoardo Mortara get a shot...he's been on the rise and could be headed for bigger things with Audi.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 17:43 (Ref:3096493)   #59
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a lot of people write that bonamoni should replace capello, ok but what's the reason? bonamoni this year won't drive a r18 anymore, so what's the deal to insert a good driver but with poor experience in lmp1 in the most expert line-up? the most logical choice is to pick gené as third driver for the #2, isn't fast like mcnish and kristensen, but is solid and has a huge experience in diesel/coupè lmp1 cars. So, if bonamoni is ok, why not jarvis? or some other vanthor etc... for now seems that the only reason is that bonamoni should replace capello just because is italian...
Old 22 Jun 2012, 17:52 (Ref:3096497)   #60
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkiller8 View Post
a lot of people write that bonamoni should replace capello, ok but what's the reason?
Because people have said that Bonanomi is very much like a younger version of Dindo. Not just in being Italian, but also with a similar character and possibly driving style. And we know that it's also important that the drivers in a team get along.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 18:16 (Ref:3096505)   #61
alexkiller8
Veteran

what's exactly the "capello's style" ? capello (like others audi drivers of the past like biela and werner) is a good driver but having a past as tourism car driver, you surely couldn't expect from him the performances of people like mcnish, kristensen, or the gt500 guys... a lot of other drivers like cocker, nicolas prost, neel jani and surely also bonamoni and jarvis are as good as him, if not faster, but don't drive an audi racecar...
Capello runs very kindly, can't run fast like mcnish and kristensen and because of this and the lack of aggressivity is hard for him make accident, this is his style. I totally disagree in comparing the "capello's style" with somebody else driving style.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 18:23 (Ref:3096509)   #62
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, we'll do the comparisons if you like - just feel free to watch.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 18:34 (Ref:3096515)   #63
alexkiller8
Veteran

for me there aren't problems, i just expressed my opinion that is pointless to compare bonamoni driving style with the capello's one....
Old 22 Jun 2012, 18:37 (Ref:3096517)   #64
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
what's exactly the "capello's style" ? capello (like others audi drivers of the past like biela and werner) is a good driver but having a past as tourism car driver, you surely couldn't expect from him the performances of people like mcnish, kristensen, or the gt500 guys... a lot of other drivers like cocker, nicolas prost, neel jani and surely also bonamoni and jarvis are as good as him, if not faster, but don't drive an audi racecar...
Capello runs very kindly, can't run fast like mcnish and kristensen and because of this and the lack of aggressivity is hard for him make accident, this is his style. I totally disagree in comparing the "capello's style" with somebody else driving style.
That's why I said "possibly", because I wasn't sure if those comments I was talking about (which came from people within the Audi organization) were referring to the driving style as well, or just his personality.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 19:37 (Ref:3096554)   #65
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
for me there aren't problems, i just expressed my opinion that is pointless to compare bonamoni driving style with the capello's one....
I don't see it as pointless at all; if DC is replaced in the TK/AM line-up, he needs to fit in - I know that's not just a question of how he drives, but I would have expected TK and AM to have a idea of how DC's replacement ought to drive......