Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 10 Dec 2011, 12:41 (Ref:2998006)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
U.S. Vintage Grand Prix

One of North America's premiere Vintage events
Old 3 Sep 2012, 16:28 (Ref:3130011)   #2
glenfan
Rookie

glenfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Downhill at the Glen

It pains me to post this, but the only reason I am is in the hope someone will read it and make a change.

I attended my first race at the Glen nearly 50 years ago. For the last 12 years I have attended every September vintage race weekend. I am a contributor to the International Motor Racing Research Center in Watkins Glen and have always enjoyed the activities they put on during the September vintage race weekend.

However, I will not be going this year. Over the past three years the appeal of the weekend has gone downhill for me, and I suspect others.

Two years ago, rather than the the customary auction of interesting racing memorabilia at the IMRRC on Friday night, they brought in a commercial auction company that auctioned off baseball, football, basketball, and Hollywood memorabilia. ??

Last year on the 50th anniversary of the first Formula 1 race at the Glen, the Grand Marshall was Bob Sharp. While Bob has a lot of history at the Glen with Datsun and Nissan, I don't seem to remember a Datsun or Nissan Formula 1 car ever appearing on the grid there.

This year, with the Mustang being the honored marque, the Grand Marshall chosen for the event is Molly Saleen. While I realize Saleen has a close connection with Mustang, what is their (or Molly's) connection with the Glen or vintage racing?

I have many fond memories of attending this event when Grand Marshalls had strong connections to vintage racing in general and the Glen in particular. People like Dan Gurney, John Watson, Juan Manuel Fangio III, Vic Elford, etc.. But this year, the best they could do is Molly Saleen?