Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 24 Jan 2013, 13:33 (Ref:3193690)   #1
Crawf
Rookie

Crawf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chassis construction: FF Technical Details

Hi,

This is my first post, but I've been reading on here for quite a while. Hopefully this will mean that my questions aren't completely stupid.

So, by way of background, i am thinking of giving up classic road cars and getting into more modern race cars. I have to accept that it is no longer safe, or responsible, to drive fast on the road. In addition to which, the rate at which classic car prices are going up mean that I've little realistic chance of ever being able to afford the things i want.

Formula Vee was the first thing to attract my attention, but i am now leaning towards the Castle Combe circuit championship as the best place to start.

I am keen to first understand the engineering behind the different options, but have so far struggled to find details. This is despite reading Allan Staniforth's book and loads of stuff on here!

Perhaps somewhere here can help by answering some of these questions about chassis design.....

1. What grade of steel, wall-thickness and external diameter was used in the tube chassis of 85-05:

Van Diemen

Mygale

Swift

2. Were these built by brazing, TIG or MIG?

3. Are there publicly available plans for any of these chassis? I've no desire to try and reproduce one, but wonder if reading a plan for them might help to understand the conceptual differences between them.

Apologies for asking so many, and such odd, questions!

Crawf
Old 25 Jan 2013, 13:44 (Ref:3194185)   #2
McMuttley
Racer

England
Bromley
McMuttley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawf View Post
Hi,

I have to accept that it is no longer safe, or responsible, to drive fast on the road.

Crawf
'no longer' - was it ever !

Going from the Need for Speed / Cannonball culture to FV might introduce some discipline at least!
Old 25 Jan 2013, 17:47 (Ref:3194273)   #3
steve wills
Rookie

steve wills should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuttley View Post
'no longer' - was it ever !

Going from the Need for Speed / Cannonball culture to FV might introduce some discipline at least!

pm sent