Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 19 Feb 2013, 03:36 (Ref:3206998)   #226
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob View Post
Why not have the GT3 cars with BoP, as we have now, and the upgrade kits for them (whatever parts they may feature) can be the bits with the more detailed GTE-style technical regs?

Best of both worlds, perhaps over-simplified but it would be nice to know which parts of a GTE car are more expensive than GT3 (I would imagine the engine is the biggest cost here). Then it can be decided which parts would be on the GT3-base car (to keep it relatively cheap) and which parts could be on a GTE-upgrade kit so the manufacturers have some more detailed regs to work with on those sections only.

Probably much easier said than done, I admit!
That sounds like a really good plan, actually. There's one side, the GTEs, which would take a big financial blow if they had to scrap all these mechanical parts, and GT3, which would need to undergo more modification. Nice to meet in the middle, if you get what I'm saying.
Old 19 Feb 2013, 07:40 (Ref:3207057)   #227
Mt. Lynx
Racer

Sweden
Stockholm
Mt. Lynx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Use GT3 as a base, with BOP and all. The top mfg class can then be GT3 with larger restrictorplates, carbon brakes and an upgraded aeroopack (optimized from GT3 spec.), and a weight limit at the current GTE spec.
Old 19 Feb 2013, 07:55 (Ref:3207061)   #228
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
1200kg, 2100mm width, road car based engine/drivetrain, GT3 aero rules and call it a day.
Old 19 Feb 2013, 08:01 (Ref:3207065)   #229
KingKenny04
Rookie

United States
MCAS Miramar, CA
KingKenny04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
GT3 aero rules
I thought the problem with GT3 was that there ARE no rules?
Old 19 Feb 2013, 08:23 (Ref:3207083)   #230
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
That's the point. Let them bring what they want to bring. Innovative parts are appealing.
Old 19 Feb 2013, 09:28 (Ref:3207127)   #231
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not have the same car for both GT3/ GTE? Like the WRC/ RRC in Rallying – all that changes are the brakes, restrictor, front & rear wing.
Old 19 Feb 2013, 09:53 (Ref:3207143)   #232
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnageWRC View Post
Why not have the same car for both GT3/ GTE? Like the WRC/ RRC in Rallying – all that changes are the brakes, restrictor, front & rear wing.
Has that really been a success, though? The only WRCs that have an RRC-option available are the Fiesta and the Mini - both of them are privateer options and can't really compete with the factory powerhouses of Citroen and Volkswagen and their bespoke WRCs.

Also, what's the price difference between an RRC and a WRC? Does it really make the kind of difference that the GT rules makers are interested in?
Old 19 Feb 2013, 12:56 (Ref:3207283)   #233
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One thing I do hope comes of the new regs is the return of the plucky little manufacturer who just want the honour of racing their car at Le Mans. Spyker, Morgan, TVR, Lister...I love seeing cars like those at LM. The current Pro/Am set up doesn't really work for them. To get a car to be an "AM" car, where they belong, they'd have to spend a year racing against manufacturer teams with F1 drivers around the globe.
Old 19 Feb 2013, 13:27 (Ref:3207299)   #234
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
I think the best solution is to have 2 rulesets, one for big cars (Corvette, Viper, SLS) and one for small cars (458, 911).
No Viper vs 911? Boring!!!
Old 19 Feb 2013, 14:18 (Ref:3207329)   #235
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
urdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridurdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my opinion, the best success of GT3 si the freedom to develope a car minimum in the AM category, so a certain freedom against GTE is required, personally i would use the same platform with slighly more rules for the GTE or GT3+ version of the pros, so the same car with expensiver updates for the pros. But both cars on sale by the manufacturers.
Old 19 Feb 2013, 15:15 (Ref:3207345)   #236
KingKenny04
Rookie

United States
MCAS Miramar, CA
KingKenny04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That's the point. Let them bring what they want to bring. Innovative parts are appealing.
But then where do you draw the line between prototype and GT?
Old 19 Feb 2013, 16:03 (Ref:3207368)   #237
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
No Viper vs 911? Boring!!!
You didn't understand my post. All the cars should be in one class but there should be two rulesets, since the cars are so different.
Old 19 Feb 2013, 16:51 (Ref:3207386)   #238
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Same base car in the GT (4, 3 & GTE) classes per mfg.
A ruleset for GT-3 safety, aero, with the rest in a BIG box to keep them on the same page. Then they can be BoP per series to the particular sanctioning bodies need/desire. Driver classification would also be determined by the individual sanctioning body w/ Le Mans being Pro/Am only.
More than likely with an inter-class BoP with GTE

GTE as a Pro class, also allowing Pro/Am, with basically the current technical ruleset.

L.P.
Old 19 Feb 2013, 17:35 (Ref:3207401)   #239
Livininthinair
Veteran

United States
Colorado
Livininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLivininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
One thing I do hope comes of the new regs is the return of the plucky little manufacturer who just want the honour of racing their car at Le Mans. Spyker, Morgan, TVR, Lister...I love seeing cars like those at LM. The current Pro/Am set up doesn't really work for them. To get a car to be an "AM" car, where they belong, they'd have to spend a year racing against manufacturer teams with F1 drivers around the globe.

X eleventybillion - this is one of the "charms" of LeMans that is now missing in action...

In my mind this also includes Pescarolo, Dome, Epsilon Euskadi, WR ect...

Last edited by Livininthinair; 19 Feb 2013 at 17:48.
Old 19 Feb 2013, 18:33 (Ref:3207421)   #240
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKenny04 View Post
I think the key is to have a definitive set of regulations, but to keep those regulations as open as possible. It's pretty simple. Cars overall must conform to stock dimensions (length, width, height, maybe allow a slightly wider track). Must keep stock engine configuration and displacement (not necessarily the stock engine itself). Just come up with a formula based on displacement and induction type for calculating weight (minimum weights for given displacements + a modifier if turbo'd or supercharged). Require stock mounting locations for suspensions components. THAT'S IT. If any further BoP is required, nerf quicker cars instead of buffing slower cars to discourage manufacturer and team whining.
Good plan. But I think sticking to stock block engines is important both 'philosophy' and cost-wise.
Old 19 Feb 2013, 19:48 (Ref:3207439)   #241
Kid Roberts
Rookie

Kid Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ditch the paddles! That is my only gripe...
Old 19 Feb 2013, 20:32 (Ref:3207452)   #242
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Roberts View Post
Ditch the paddles! That is my only gripe...
Why ditch paddles if that is what production cars come with?
Old 19 Feb 2013, 20:44 (Ref:3207461)   #243
Kid Roberts
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Why ditch paddles if that is what production cars come with?
They should ditch them in production cars too.
Old 19 Feb 2013, 21:59 (Ref:3207518)   #244
TF110
Veteran

United States
That's a step backwards. The paddles allow the drivers to keep their hands on the wheel instead of having to reach over to shift. Another safety feature that also comes with quicker shifts.
Old 19 Feb 2013, 23:46 (Ref:3207571)   #245
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
That's a step backwards. The paddles allow the drivers to keep their hands on the wheel instead of having to reach over to shift. Another safety feature that also comes with quicker shifts.
I agree. Keep the paddle shift.
Old 20 Feb 2013, 00:29 (Ref:3207586)   #246
Kid Roberts
Rookie

I'd rather see them do something that requires skill. I know all things evolve, but it's a lot more fun to watch a driver go through the gears on an h-pattern.
Old 20 Feb 2013, 00:53 (Ref:3207593)   #247
TF110
Veteran

United States
I'm not even aware of the last time they used an H pattern in the series these cars race.
Old 20 Feb 2013, 01:03 (Ref:3207599)   #248
cobraRed01
Rookie

United States
New Jersey
cobraRed01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Clutch, stick, talent...no paddles.
Old 20 Feb 2013, 01:03 (Ref:3207600)   #249
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I'm not even aware of the last time they used an H pattern in the series these cars race.
I think one of the gx caymans did at Daytona this year.
Old 20 Feb 2013, 02:18 (Ref:3207607)   #250
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
M3 E46 GTR - at least at the Ring, not sure if they had sequential gearboxes in ALMS.