Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 15 May 2013, 15:24 (Ref:3247914)   #1
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did Oulton's Island hairpin move?

I'm racing on the Island layout next weekend and was thinking did the Island Hairpin move location? The circuit's own maps were showing this layout until a few years ago, which was definately incorrect:

I can't remember ever seeing the hairpin there, i.e. after Island Bend, rather than just before it, and returning either through the first chicane or bypassing it. The only version I can ever remember (since the late 90s) is the current one which exits into the exit of the chicane. (And am I correct in thinking the hairpin was only reintroduced about that time after being abandonned in the 70s/80s?).
Old 15 May 2013, 15:30 (Ref:3247916)   #2
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A look at MarshalsGuide.com shows the same track layout:

http://www.marshalsguide.com/index.php/Oulton_Park

However if you follow the Google Maps link you can clearly see the relevant section of the track that does indeed have the hairpin on the straight, before Island Bend joining the track at Hill Top.
Old 15 May 2013, 15:52 (Ref:3247921)   #3
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There was definitely a different / extra 'cut through' at one point, although I'm not sure it was ever part of a proper circuit layout.

Only know this from marshaling a clubby rally event there in the 80s.

Still have nightmares of the Volvo 240 Turbo that demolished our tyre wall.
Old 15 May 2013, 17:11 (Ref:3247969)   #4
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A bit of research:

The current, correct version is in my 1998 Circuit Guide, along with an editorial note about "the return of the Island Hairpin at Oulton".

Peter Swinger's 2001 book "Motor Racing Circuits in England" doesn't mention the Island layout (presumably only just back in use when written), but does record a layout the same/similar to the one above - the mid-1954 layout!

Derek Lawson's "Sun, Rain...And Even Snow" has this 1954 circuit, the 'square' 70s layout and that the "Long circuit was brought back into use for the late 1980s" (with a map which looks like (c)1988 with the Island Hairpin indicated on it in the correct location).

Surely the location of the hairpin wasn't indicated wrongly in many diagrams for nearly 50-years, just due to a short-lived 1954 layout!?
Old 15 May 2013, 21:11 (Ref:3248129)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Where ever it is its one dog of a corner and ruins the flow of the whole circuit.
Old 16 May 2013, 13:59 (Ref:3248420)   #6
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Where ever it is its one dog of a corner and ruins the flow of the whole circuit.
Which the BTCC still use - and I can't understand why.

Yes it is a terrible corner but in the early 80's it was better than just the Fosters layout. I was so pleased when John Foulston reinstated the full circuit because the banked Shell, Esso or what ever they call it now, is brilliant and the circuit flows well despite the chicanes.

Bev Bond said that the 1 litre F3, in the early 70's, was pretty well flat in top all the way from Shell to Lodge....mad
Old 16 May 2013, 19:18 (Ref:3248509)   #7
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine View Post
Which the BTCC still use - and I can't understand why.

Yes it is a terrible corner but in the early 80's it was better than just the Fosters layout. I was so pleased when John Foulston reinstated the full circuit because the banked Shell, Esso or what ever they call it now, is brilliant and the circuit flows well despite the chicanes.

Bev Bond said that the 1 litre F3, in the early 70's, was pretty well flat in top all the way from Shell to Lodge....mad
I suspect they use it because a) it adds action, or b) they haven't got the nuts to run flat through island onto shell rubbing bumpers