Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 3 Sep 2013, 19:30 (Ref:3298457)   #1
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Niki Lauda's accident @ Nurburgring 1976 ('Rush' Reference)

We are anxiously awaiting Rush to hit theaters this month. I have a question regarding the accident. From what I've read, and seen in both pictures and illustrations. Lauda crashed, spun across the track already in flames, was hit by Ertl then hit by Lunger. Edwards managed to avoid the Ferrari and stopped on the left of the track. All 3 jumped out of their cars and assisted the marshals. Merzario, who was not involved in the accident, stopped to help as well. Niki Lauda has said over and over again, that if it wasn't for Merzario actually going into the fire to undo his belts, he would be dead. Did anybody else stop and offer assistance?

My question is this, what did Emerson Fittipaldi if anything, have to do with the extricating of Niki Lauda? Because, if you look at the Rush trailer #1, Fittipaldi was the main guy pulling him out.....
Old 3 Sep 2013, 21:46 (Ref:3298529)   #2
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rush is not a documentary
Old 3 Sep 2013, 21:56 (Ref:3298542)   #3
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw View Post
Rush is not a documentary
Yes, I understand. But, if one makes a movie about the assassination of JFK for example, you can't add an extra man in the limo to add to the plot. Ron Howard and crew did a lot of research; so did Fittipaldi stop and help?
Old 4 Sep 2013, 12:32 (Ref:3298808)   #4
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This might help
http://www.f1speedwriter.com/2013/07...reen-hell.html
Old 4 Sep 2013, 14:12 (Ref:3298875)   #5
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Thanks, it does help set the scene. What Lauda was babbling in Italian to Merzario was how his face was. Merzario said, not too bad, don't worry about it.

This is my prediction on the film. The new generation of F1 fans, driver's, mechanics, etc who weren't alive in 1976 are going to love this movie. The generation who lived it are going sigh and roll their eyes. But, they are old enough to understand that it's just a Hollywood movie. At the end of the day, hopefully it will introduce some new fans to F1.
Old 4 Sep 2013, 14:43 (Ref:3298899)   #6
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks for that. I've read Donaldson's Villeneuve biography but after reading this I might have to pick up his Hunt one as well, provided it hasn't skyrocketed in price with the new movie coming.