Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 Apr 2014, 21:11 (Ref:3400153)   #1
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for your input. I initially thought reserving a seat that I won't use is absolutely absurd. Better to be safe then sorry.

Is it easy to roam the track? I plan on canvassing just about every corner in the hopes of getting as physically close as possible to the action. Photo wise I am limited to a 200mm zoom. Do you think that will suffice to get descent pictures?
While I'm at it, any recommendations for some good barbecue in the Austin area?

Thanks again!
Old 30 Apr 2014, 21:20 (Ref:3400158)   #2
Cuttlefish
Racer

United States
Seattle, WA
Cuttlefish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
Is it easy to roam the track? I plan on canvassing just about every corner in the hopes of getting as physically close as possible to the action. Photo wise I am limited to a 200mm zoom. Do you think that will suffice to get descent pictures?
Yeah, easy enough. As EricS mentioned, the Turn 11 area was closed last year; they were in the process of putting up the grandstands for F1 (I assume). Despite it being closed, no one was guarding it, so I was able to walk all the way around to the RV area. The bridges are fairly smartly placed; the most "remote" part of the track (other than Turn 11) is probably Turn 1, takes a while to either take the bridge to the support paddock or the tunnel to the main paddock.

One note, the WEC teams get the F1 garages, so it's tough to get a good look at those cars in the paddock without an invitation!

I brought a 250mm (on a crop body), and found it to be more than adequate. You're not going to find any photo holes, and the catch fencing is unrelenting all the way around, with a secondary fence between the GA areas and the marshal access roads, further complicating things. Most of the berms allow you to shoot over the fencing without too much hassle, and the undulations of the track help to ease the angle. I generally find shooting around the fencing part of the fun/challenge!

Some of the best spots for photos were on the bridge stairs; the sides of the stairs weren't covered, offering some great shots. I was surprised there weren't ushers hurrying people along, as it was getting quite crowded and there was a lot of L-glass.
Old 30 Apr 2014, 22:31 (Ref:3400178)   #3
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great insights. I have reserved turn 15 and am eagerly awaiting my first WEC race. I figure this is the next best thing to Le Mans seeing as how I cannot make it to the crown jewel. I plan on bringing my monopod and will use the bridges to good effect.

How was the swag for the WEC teams last year? My better halve won't be in attendance so I plan on utilizing my poor judgement.

I apologize for all the questions. I am a bit pumped for this one. I have been to numerous ALMS races and used to attend the classics at Laguna Seca but I consider this to be a different animal. If anyone wants to meet up for a cold one just let me know.
Old 1 May 2014, 01:46 (Ref:3400199)   #4
EricS
Racer

United States
Austin, TX
EricS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
How was the swag for the WEC teams last year? My better halve won't be in attendance so I plan on utilizing my poor judgement.
Unfortunately, very little-to-zero WEC team swag last year at CotA. Typical ALMS booths though. Hoping it's better this year with Porsche being there. But who knows.
Old 1 May 2014, 11:51 (Ref:3400319)   #5
porman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS View Post
Unfortunately, very little-to-zero WEC team swag last year at CotA. Typical ALMS booths though. Hoping it's better this year with Porsche being there. But who knows.

Lets hope the WEC teams want our dollars the second time round. I can't see the Porsche marketing machine missing out on an opportunity. Just so long as Porsche isn't charging their normal exorbitant prices. If anyone wants to say hi I will be wearing my favorite buttweiser tank top and sporting a mullet.