Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 20 Sep 2015, 20:44 (Ref:3575501)   #226
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
How far off pace was Brown, and Dempsey! Cant fault them for trying I guess. But thats near hazardous imo.
Old 20 Sep 2015, 20:46 (Ref:3575502)   #227
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
Alkamel -> 2015 -> Le Mans -> Hour X -> Classification by Driver Fastest Lap (3rd)

Where X can be any hour from 1 to 24, obviously. If I've explained it right, this is the list for the full race (i.e. at hour 24).
Thanks buddy! That's exactly what I was after.

Looking at that, I'm amazed at how closely matched all the factory LMP1 drivers are.
I shouldn't be surprised of course, when Dr Ullrich and the rest choose their drivers they obviously put a lot thought into it than I do when I choose drivers for my "fantasy team"

But even with that, I'm still astonished how close they all are.
Old 20 Sep 2015, 21:25 (Ref:3575515)   #228
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just spoke with a friend who was at COTA with his wife....

Said they will never go back, staff was incredibly rude, food prices were insane, grid walk was off limits for the WEC race, and as a generalization, said he hated the facility and the track. He won't be returning.

He talked with a few locals, who said that the crowd was half of what it was last year, maybe less. COTA said it was sold out.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 20 Sep 2015, 21:37 (Ref:3575520)   #229
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
And people wonder why the WEC is looking elsewhere after next season it seems. Who's to bet that Indy or the updated Road America will get the nod, or maybe Montreal?
Old 20 Sep 2015, 22:09 (Ref:3575533)   #230
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
And people wonder why the WEC is looking elsewhere after next season it seems. Who's to bet that Indy or the updated Road America will get the nod, or maybe Montreal?
Road America getting the nod is dependent on NASCAR.

Should NASCAR given them the nod for Sprint Cup in '17, we will see. I'm betting on Montreal for 2017.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 20 Sep 2015, 23:36 (Ref:3575558)   #231
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can you even camp there, it seems your very limited compared to other track in the country.
Old 20 Sep 2015, 23:41 (Ref:3575559)   #232
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
Can you even camp there, it seems your very limited compared to other track in the country.
COTA? Yes, but, it starts at $400 as an add-on to tickets. And It's asphalt parking lots I think.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 03:42 (Ref:3575598)   #233
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Just spoke with a friend who was at COTA with his wife....

Said they will never go back, staff was incredibly rude, food prices were insane, grid walk was off limits for the WEC race, and as a generalization, said he hated the facility and the track. He won't be returning.

He talked with a few locals, who said that the crowd was half of what it was last year, maybe less. COTA said it was sold out.
This was my first visit to COTA. As a point of reference my track experiences are limited to... Indy (shortly after return of F1), Mid-Ohio (a LONG time ago) and VIR (quite often)

I have mixed feelings about COTA. It is a bit of a maze to get around as a spectator. A lot of walking for not a lot of distance traveled. Paths in some areas and in others none (just walk across dead weedy fields). You are generally limited to T12 through T1 for viewing. The back half of the track appears to be effectively inaccessible, or if it is, difficult to get to. They seem to be building new grandstands on the back half so maybe in the future it will be easier see more of the track. Food prices were about what I would expect (expensive), but there was decent selection. Plenty of toilets (no lines). Parking was fine with free shuttles to front gate.

Most all of the staff I talked to seemed helpful and nice. Even the lady that chased me down after I had accidently walked past her into the VIP area was nice when she told me I wasn't supposed to be there. The only gripe I would have is at the front gate. They were IMHO a bit overboard on what they would NOT let in. I had a few full water bottles that was fine, but the half full one in my hand was not. I also was made to toss a small bag of Chex Mix snack. It was deemed "to large". I can only imagine they don't want people bringing in food. On the plus side, they did have a few free water stations to refill water bottles.

I had the multi-turn pass, but was only asked to show that ticket once when going into grandstands. Attendance was low enough that I suspect there was little reason to police grandstand tickets. I can't comment on attendance this year vs. last or vs. other WEC events world wide.

I assume the lack of grid walk is a pretty standard thing for WEC? Or at least only those who have some type of VIP access can do that. There WAS WEC grid access, but it clearly was limited and even with it being limited was pretty full. It looked more like an "F1 style" grid with mechanics getting cars ready, TV reporters and VIPs.

Small complaint... There was a "Fan Invasion" of the grid at the end of the race to allow fans to get up close to the podium ceremonies. However those who come over from the main straight grandstand was blocked by the pit wall and they did not open the gates for some reason. So a large group of fans (myself included) was walled off for no reason. For those who just happened to enter from the paddock side was able to get as close as they wanted. I suspect this was just a lack of someone assigned to open those gates.

I would return for the right event, but missed the laid back atmosphere of VIR.

Richard

Last edited by Richard C; 21 Sep 2015 at 03:53.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 04:04 (Ref:3575602)   #234
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Cota reports over "56,000" in attendance for the weekend. maybe they counted everyone twice (imsa race and wec race)?
Old 21 Sep 2015, 05:39 (Ref:3575607)   #235
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What was better? IMSA or WEC, in terms of attendance. I've heard mix reports. To me, at least from the TV, it looked about the same.

I really don't see this place lasting very long. F1 is the only one that looks full but is the only event that seems successful. NASCAR and Indycar ain't coming over as long as Texas motor speedway is around.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 07:29 (Ref:3575617)   #236
Nick6
Racer

United States
Nick6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cota is not my favorite track by any means but it is 2.5 hrs away from me. I couldn't make it to the WEC race last year so I can't compare attendance numbers but Saturday seemed to have a good size crowd. Not everyone was in the grand stands, a lot of people, my self included just bought "general admission" tickets, meaning grass hills only. I would say TUSC had a larger crowd because after sunset people started leaving. I don't think having a race ending at 11:00pm works well for the average fan, even if one stays for the whole day, like I did, it makes for a very long day.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 07:33 (Ref:3575619)   #237
Nick6
Racer

United States
Nick6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Outside of the track, which kind of defeats the whole idea of camping at ta racetrack in the first place.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 10:05 (Ref:3575651)   #238
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick6 View Post
Cota is not my favorite track by any means but it is 2.5 hrs away from me. I couldn't make it to the WEC race last year so I can't compare attendance numbers but Saturday seemed to have a good size crowd. Not everyone was in the grand stands, a lot of people, my self included just bought "general admission" tickets, meaning grass hills only. I would say TUSC had a larger crowd because after sunset people started leaving. I don't think having a race ending at 11:00pm works well for the average fan, even if one stays for the whole day, like I did, it makes for a very long day.
Wow so you couldn't sit in a grandstand unless you had a specific ticket for it? That's crazy! No wonder it looked empty.

Someone needs to remind CoTA this isn't F1. There seems to be a general sense of negativity when people talk about the place. Makes Silverstone seem full of soul in comparison.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 10:14 (Ref:3575653)   #239
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Dempsy was only 2 seconds off of the pace of another Am driver and 4 seconds off of Patrick Long. Lets be honest, that's not terrible. I'd love to be 4 seconds slower than Patrick Long.

But Brown was 9 seconds off of Leventis, and 14 seconds off of the LMP2 pace. He was slower than literally everything except for 1 GTE-Am car. Whilst the overall speed is not particularly dangerous (he's just slower than the Am class), the fact the car cannot keep operating temps up is dangerous. But he basically funds ESM doesn't he? So what can be done.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 12:18 (Ref:3575698)   #240
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Wow so you couldn't sit in a grandstand unless you had a specific ticket for it? That's crazy! No wonder it looked empty.
Isn't it common at many events to have two classes of tickets? General admission and then something a step above? I agree that one ticket for all would be nice, but while I can't remember right now what I paid, the tickets were nowhere close to F1 prices and the "multi-turn" pass (which allowed all grandstand access) was reasonable and not much more than the general admission. Overall ticket prices was not a problem IMHO. And as I mentioned earlier, it seemed you could just walk into the stands anyhow. There was nobody even stationed to check tickets at the T15 and T1 stands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick6 View Post
I don't think having a race ending at 11:00pm works well for the average fan, even if one stays for the whole day, like I did, it makes for a very long day.
Quote:
What was better? IMSA or WEC, in terms of attendance. I've heard mix reports. To me, at least from the TV, it looked about the same.
Regarding attendance between IMSA and WEC, it was hard to tell. It roughly seemed like a consistent crowd all day long. I suspect people where coming and going. I don't have opinions on start and end times, but given they stacked up two "main" events in the same day, it seemed like there wasn't much extra time between the races. It was a long day, especially given the heat. To keep the length down, I actually showed up at track about 1/2 way through the IMSA race. I don't really follow IMSA/Tudor series, but it allowed me to watch a bit of it anyhow.

I suspect race order helped boost attendance for IMSA. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if they had reversed the order. How many would stay to watch the IMSA race after six hours of WEC? Or would IMSA fans just skip WEC?

Richard
Old 21 Sep 2015, 13:35 (Ref:3575722)   #241
stampchez
Rookie

stampchez should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My wife and I had a ton of fun out at the track this weekend. It is a great double header with IMSA and WEC. The value for the ticket price is tremendous.

I don't think they are ever going to expect a big crowd this time of year. It's too hot and there was a home football game. I think March would do a lot better. Maybe whenever WEC goes to their winter schedule.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 15:26 (Ref:3575763)   #242
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Congratulations Porsche. I had hoped for a 1-2. It it too late tonight and I have a day and a half drive back home, but before end of week I will post photos from today.

Quick funny story...

I am not one for autographs, but did participate in the WEC driver autograph session. Long story short, Mark Webber effectively refused to give me an autograph! The fans were roughly lined up as the drivers moved along signing and handing out photo cards. He moved right past me as if I wasn't even there. I moved to two open gaps later in the line and he did the same thing each time. I gave up after the third attempt. Not sure what was going on, but it was funny. I must have reminded him of someone he didn't like. I did get autographs from other drivers just fine.

Richard
Were you wearing a Sebastian Vettel hat at that time?

In all seriousness, thanks for sharing your experience of the event, its valuable to hear how different tracks approach the weekend. Some better then others so it seems. If I had the money to do a WEC round I'd probably do Spa or Fuji.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 16:03 (Ref:3575788)   #243
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Someone needs to remind CoTA this isn't F1. There seems to be a general sense of negativity when people talk about the place. Makes Silverstone seem full of soul in comparison.
COTA doesn't care. They don't understand motorsports people. They don't get the fact that people choose to show up for a relaxing weekend, and, gasp, you might bring your family and want to have a picnic.

No. Instead, please pay $600 for lunch. It's insane. I've never liked it, I have no desire to ever travel to it. If it closed tomorrow, and was turned into a mall, I doubt anyone would remember it in 5 years.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 18:50 (Ref:3575844)   #244
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
COTA doesn't care. They don't understand motorsports people. They don't get the fact that people choose to show up for a relaxing weekend, and, gasp, you might bring your family and want to have a picnic.

No. Instead, please pay $600 for lunch. It's insane. I've never liked it, I have no desire to ever travel to it. If it closed tomorrow, and was turned into a mall, I doubt anyone would remember it in 5 years.

MoMedic,

Please don't take this as a personal attack but I think the majority of us are just thankful to have what is by and large, good racing. I had been waiting since 1999 for the pleasure of watching such a diverse field with top- flight prototypes to boot. We here you in that you have no desire to attend COTA, nor for it to stay on the calendar. I like some here have been there and had a great time. Yes, the place has room for improvement but that could be said for so many venues. Perhaps we could refrain from the negativity and enjoy what we have?
Old 22 Sep 2015, 01:55 (Ref:3575904)   #245
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
It's all good - CotA was built for one purpose only: F1. No wonder it has a hard time pleasing sportscar fans. Same reason why Indy* will not work in the future (substitute F1 for Indycars).
Old 22 Sep 2015, 03:41 (Ref:3575922)   #246
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NICE !!!
Old 22 Sep 2015, 10:02 (Ref:3575970)   #247
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I didn't go this year, but went last year and based on what it looked like on tv, it seemed like less people this year, which is unfortunate because from what I understand, there was heavier promotion of the race in the area this year.

When I went, there were probably double the people there for the start of the WEC race as the IMSA race, but most people had left before the race ended. I don't think most people there are either IMSA or WEC fans, they're just locals enjoying some "neat racing", but I'd also say that holds true for the crowds at Sebring or the Daytona 24. The day is too long for casual fans considering you can't bring in your own food and drinks or walk to your car without leaving the track.

The ticket prices are very fair IMO. Grandstand tickets cost the same as general admission, so might as well get one in case you need it, not that they checked anyway. The view from the turn 15 grandstands was really good. I also paid for parking in the frontstretch lot last year which never was checked, but maybe because I got to the track real early (when all the crews and journalists were showing up).

The viewing areas were very accessible if you don't mind walking a lot and the IMSA paddock was open. I went to COTA for F1 in 2013 and it was so crowded, it took forever to get from one place to the other and over the bridges. And Richard, about 10 minutes after I got to the track for Friday practice, Mark Webber happened to walk by where I was standing and he was very friendly and the girl he was with even offered to take our picture together, so he must have you confused with someone else haha.

I like the track itself, the layout and the elevation changes. It's just hard to see with the tall fences, unless you're up in grandstands, which I don't prefer. The restrictions on bringing in food and drinks and the price gouging of said items is by biggest complaint about the facility.
Old 22 Sep 2015, 13:13 (Ref:3576019)   #248
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Were you wearing a Sebastian Vettel hat at that time?
No! Just my straw hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
And Richard, about 10 minutes after I got to the track for Friday practice, Mark Webber happened to walk by where I was standing and he was very friendly and the girl he was with even offered to take our picture together, so he must have you confused with someone else haha.
I think if anything I may not have been aggressive enough when in line. Many were leaning over the barricade. There were many just hanging out to see the drivers but not asking for autographs. I don't hold it against him.

Here is a photo right before he walked past me the first time.

Richard
Old 22 Sep 2015, 19:10 (Ref:3576155)   #249
Richard C
Veteran

My photos from Saturday (not a lot of race photos, but some)...

http://imgur.com/a/jEuyu

Richard
Old 24 Sep 2015, 00:30 (Ref:3576508)   #250
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Isn't it common at many events to have two classes of tickets? General admission and then something a step above? I agree that one ticket for all would be nice, but while I can't remember right now what I paid, the tickets were nowhere close to F1 prices and the "multi-turn" pass (which allowed all grandstand access) was reasonable and not much more than the general admission. Overall ticket prices was not a problem IMHO. And as I mentioned earlier, it seemed you could just walk into the stands anyhow. There was nobody even stationed to check tickets at the T15 and T1 stands.
Have to say, as a Brit, I was shocked to read that you have to have another ticket to sit in the grandstands. Especially given the heat.

Living 45 mins away from Silverstone, 15 minutes from Rockingham, an hour from Donington and around 3 hours from Brands Hatch, I've been lucky enough to have been taken to all sorts of events for as long as I can remember. I can only think of four events I've ever been to where you can't sit in the grandstands with a general entrance ticket - the British Grand Prix, Goodwood Revival, the visits of CART/ChampCar at Rockingham and Le Mans (even at LM, it's restricted for the race only - sit where you want during qualifying!). These are events where space is at a premium anyway, and it makes sense for tickets to be sold in this way - but for an event like COTA, you're just unnecessarily barring people from seats, which provide good views and respite from the heat.

It sounds like madness to me. Buying a ticket to any Grand Prix is like buying a ticket to a music festival, and that's not a decision you make lightly - but with the WEC being far-less known, and tickets being cheaper, people are there taking a punt not really knowing what it is, like buying a ticket for a gig of an artist you've never heard of but genre you know you like. The series and the venue should be doing everything to engage them. While there's about 50 grandstand seats to each fan, a ticket should give you access to sit wherever you want....

Someone said it sounds like COTA makes Silverstone seem as if it's a friendly place - and that takes some doing