Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 13 Oct 2002, 22:37 (Ref:403237)   #26
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Sad news from Thruxton

Quote:
Originally posted by Rod Birley
Unfortunately club motorsport has suffered another fatality today. Mark Williams crashed heavily
Rod,

Tell me this isn't the Mark Williams who raced an E30 M3 in blue and white, and shared a Radical with Peter Seldon last year ?

Slim, fair haired, 911 in the paddock ?

Who's mobile is in my phone..

Stacy
Old 13 Oct 2002, 23:24 (Ref:403270)   #27
Garry Ginetta
Rookie

Garry Ginetta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the competitors were put into an impossible position and were asked a question which was difficult to answer. The weather was no less than filthy. We has lost a fellow racer. If you vote to stop; is it because you wish to show respect or want to avoid racing in the wet? Equally if you vote to carry on (my choice) are you being disrespectful or being mindful of the reason you had a 6.15am alarm call which was to race. The BARC copped out of its responsibilities in my view. If we have a rule that says 1 fatality and we stop - fair enough. If we dont - to dump the decision on the competitors (particularly if they are inexperienced) is asking people to make a call they cant easily make. There were 21 potential cars in the Ginetta field 14 drivers voted. 6 for 8 against continuing, Did we who voted for show lack of respect or not and more importantly why were put in that position? It has been suggested that BARC pushed for a vote so there was no question of refunds. Probably untrue but it appears that 750MC when facde with the same quandary sowed more leadership
Old 14 Oct 2002, 06:21 (Ref:403460)   #28
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm really not sure that this thread the place for these discussions, surely this thread was started to allow us to show our condolences and sympathy to Mark's family and friends? To turn it into a discussion of who did what and when and to speculate about how he died is not helpful and can only cause more distress to those that knew him.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 08:33 (Ref:403539)   #29
tfg
Rookie

tfg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Firstly my condolences to Marks family. I had to wait until today to say my piece as I was so angry at yesterdays events. I have read all the posts and I am dismayed at some of the attitudes of people that were there. It cost me a lot of time and money to get to Thruxton and I did not feel that the track conditions were too bad or dangerous for me to race. However once I found out that a fellow competor had died It didn't cross my mind to continue with racing.
Yes we are racers and yes we understand and accept the dangers but we are also only Club racers doing this for fun and how could you have fun after that had happened. I also accept that if you asked the question of would you like racing to continue if it happen to you, most of us including myself, would have said yes. But I would not now.
Why?, because if fellow competetors felt the same way I did yesterday then I would not want them to race feeling that way. We must also remember those poor marshalls who tried to help Mark, it is not fair on them to make them stand there for the rest of the day with that hanging over them.
All drivers who raced yesterday should be ashamed of themselves and I hope that one day you regret this course of action. I believe the FRenaults only managed 4 laps, I hope they were worth it.Remember we were all able to go home to race another day, Mark wasn't.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 08:38 (Ref:403542)   #30
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that is so sad....when someone is killed just by enjoying their passion , it just doesnt seem right

thoughts are with his family and friends .

I dont know what the right thing to do as a mark of respect is , you just have to do what you feel is right at the time....everyone takes things a different way...there is no right and wrong . You can only do what feels right for the individual , and unless you know really what the poor guy who lost his life would have wanted , it is impossible to get it right .
Old 14 Oct 2002, 08:55 (Ref:403558)   #31
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TFG Your comments are the most sensible and compassionate that I have read and I absolutely agree with having stood in the cold and the rain for most of the day. I am concerned that it now seems any decision to race was from the different races concerned, I feel a lack of direction and strength from the powers to be left indivduals with a terrible decision to make - Balders
Old 14 Oct 2002, 11:38 (Ref:403693)   #32
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
I agree with Piglet. If people want to discuss the merits of continuing/cancelling an event under such tragic circumstances, I think it's a discussion worth having - but I do think it should be in a separate thread.

I would also suggest that since there are many on these forums who knew the driver involved and/or the marshals/safety crews involved, that speculation on the specifics of the incident be either kept to a minimum or discussed elsewhere.

People may find it distressing and those involved who know the facts will probably be constrained from discussing the situation due to the necessity for an investigation.

Just my own opinion but I think it would be appropriate to keep this thread for condolences and for those who would like to share their memories of Mark.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 11:47 (Ref:403707)   #33
tfg
Rookie

tfg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sato San, there is a right and a wrong and anyone with any common sense or moral sense will know that pulling out was the right thing to do. Everybody regardless of personal feelings, or lack of them, should have withdrawn. Respect is shown in many ways but in this case it is shown to Mark and especially his family by us disregarding the costs and efforts in getting to Thruxton. Remeber we all race for fun, but how could anyone have enjoyed racing knowing what Marks family was going through at the Circuit.
I have also heard that the Mod Prods raced but Toyo made them take their name off the cars as they did not want to be associated with the decision to race. Maybe this should have given the drivers a slight indication that they were wrong. I hope Renault do the same to the FR.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 11:50 (Ref:403709)   #34
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Agreed EP.

May I add my condolances to those already expressed so eloquently above. The loss of life in motorsport is indeed a tragic thing and my thoughts and sympathies are with Marks family and friends.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 11:58 (Ref:403718)   #35
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd like to add my condolences to Mark's Family, friends and his fellow competitors.

And my sympathies go to the marshals and officials who then had to cope with the rest of the meeting.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 14 Oct 2002 at 11:59.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 12:08 (Ref:403730)   #36
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi all,

For obvious reasons I'm not going to make any comment other than to express my condolences to Mark's family.

Martin
Old 14 Oct 2002, 12:22 (Ref:403749)   #37
Gonfra
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

United Nations
International Man of Mystery
Gonfra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi All,
As one of the rescue crew involved in yesterdays tragic event I would like to thank you all for your concern - it is much appreciated. Like Teletubby there is no more to comment apart from extending my own condolences to Marks family and friends

Steve
Old 14 Oct 2002, 13:23 (Ref:403819)   #38
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like most have already said; sincerest sympathy to Mark's family, friends, fellow racers and all people involved.

Its been a bad year for club racers.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 17:44 (Ref:404061)   #39
apguy
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Suffolk
apguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As one of the BMW racers at Thruxton yesterday I would like to express my sympathy and sincere condolances to Mark's family and friends.

I would also like to thank the marshalls, rescue crew, medical team and police investigation team for their professionalism in what was an extremely traumatic situation.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 19:01 (Ref:404119)   #40
wickedwitch
Racer

wickedwitch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would also like to add my condolences to Marks family and friends and to all those involved.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 20:07 (Ref:404171)   #41
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've spoken to numerous people today, including Martyn Bell amongst others, who filled me in on the news.

While my thoughts are obviously with his family and friends at the minute, I wonder how the rescue crews react, and indeed how Peter Seldon dealt with apparently calling Mark's wife from the circuit. Who would want that job..

A sad day.

Stacy.

Edited at request of poster.

Last edited by AndyF; 18 Oct 2002 at 18:51.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 07:13 (Ref:404491)   #42
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Stacy, I don't think the rescue guys will say a great deal at the moment. (Not that I am attempting to speak on their behalf). Silence is often the easiest way to deal with these situations at the outset.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 08:39 (Ref:404555)   #43
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
tfg ..fair enough , i take your point .

Tragic result .
Old 15 Oct 2002, 18:37 (Ref:405103)   #44
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just heard of this as I am about to return from USA. We have had bad news over here too, with the loss of a Nascar driver at Charlotte, and can't belive we have lost Mark as well.
My condolences to his family and friends, and my thoughts to all my fellow marshals who were involved. Remember we are one big family, talk to someone if you need to.
Old 15 Oct 2002, 19:19 (Ref:405124)   #45
Ian-S
Racer

Ian-S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you don't mind me asking, were the Marshals who attended the accident scene expected to stay for the Formula Renault / Saloon races, or were they allowed to go home?
Old 15 Oct 2002, 19:25 (Ref:405130)   #46
the18racer
Rookie

the18racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My deepest sympathies to all Mark Williams' family, friends and fellow competitors.
Old 16 Oct 2002, 21:30 (Ref:406066)   #47
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This has been posted on the thread on the Marshals' forum regarding this incident:

Following Mark's tragic and untimely death at Thruxton on Sunday, I confirm that his funeral is at Ruislip Crematorium, Breakspear Road, at 3.30pm this
Friday afternoon 18th Oct. The telephone number is 01895 - 632843.

The family requests that no flowers be sent but they have indicated that as many of us within the racing and supporting community that can attend the service would be very welcome to do so.

At Graham Foster's (Team manager) suggestion a fund is being set up in Mark's name by the BMWRDC, and Trevor Ford will let us know the arrangements for our contributions as soon as possible. At the request of the family this fund will eventually be paid over to the Anthony Nolan Bone Marrow Trust.

Please contact anybody that knew Mark and that you feel would like to attend the funeral to pay their respects.

Regards,

Matthew Seldon
Old 18 Oct 2002, 11:50 (Ref:407160)   #48
julianperrott
Rookie

julianperrott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am the designer and publisher for the BMWRDC, the site can be viewed at www.bmwrdc.com it is intended to act as a portal for the uk based club. I was, as everyone here is, very upset to hear of the news having met Marc on a couple of occasions and knowing what a nice man he was.

If you would like to post a message of condolence on the site, send me an email and I will publish it. We are not intending this to be active for very long, but I am sure your messages will mean a lot to his family and fellow racers.

My address is julian@barkweb.co.uk