Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 30 Jan 2003, 17:23 (Ref:490809)   #1
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Peter S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Manning confirmed "offcially"

Darren manning has been officially confirmed as the lead walker racing driver for 2003. His team mate will be announced on febuary 4th.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 17:24 (Ref:490812)   #2
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
oh and it wont be Gonzalez! read the full report on www.autosport.com
Old 30 Jan 2003, 17:43 (Ref:490837)   #3
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Awesome! The series wouldn't be complete without a Brit!

Last edited by Jay; 30 Jan 2003 at 17:44.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 30 Jan 2003, 18:22 (Ref:490868)   #4
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Strange. An hour ago, the "Teams" page on CART.com was listing Walker for two cars. Gonzales and Lavin. Even gave Lavin's car number. But now, there's no listing for Walker at all. I'm sure it's in the process of being updated, but why would they put Lavin's name up there for a few hours, only to have Derrick say that he won't announce his second driver until Feb.4?
Old 30 Jan 2003, 19:13 (Ref:490913)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Now I'm really confused.

CART.com is now announcing Lavin will partner Manning, wearing the number 5 and sponsored by Corona. So what's this about Walker not announcing his second driver until Sebring?
Old 30 Jan 2003, 19:28 (Ref:490919)   #6
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pook got another Latin and another European. But most important he finally got a fellow Englishman!

Manning is a good driver on a bad team with no funding. No question this is a fully CART funded ride. BTW, Corona is not a huge sponsor; this is the money that was on the Herdez car last year, they get more signage at Walker.

Yet another reason for Americans to glue themsleves to the TV for CCWS?
Old 30 Jan 2003, 19:52 (Ref:490942)   #7
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
I am well confused as well. If you read the manning story on cart.com in still says they will announce there second driver on january 4th where as if you read the lavin sotry below it says walker say he will be mannings teammate. I am lost!
Old 30 Jan 2003, 20:22 (Ref:490978)   #8
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
3 car team ? Or just a f*uckup ? Someone proof reading it from either Cart or Walker's should have picked it up if it was a typo you'd have hoped.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 20:36 (Ref:490993)   #9
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where is the manning $$$ coming from?
Old 30 Jan 2003, 21:23 (Ref:491023)   #10
Tiresmoke
Racer

Tiresmoke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by sgw2
Pook got another Latin and another European. But most important he finally got a fellow Englishman!

Manning is a good driver on a bad team with no funding. No question this is a fully CART funded ride. BTW, Corona is not a huge sponsor; this is the money that was on the Herdez car last year, they get more signage at Walker.

Yet another reason for Americans to glue themsleves to the TV for CCWS?
Lavin's Corona $ comes from his funding in Atlantics, which we can imagine to be about $1M plus the Corona $ that came over from Herdez. So I believe this to be a pretty well funded car. Walker had been working on a sponsorship for a while, not Gonz's, for a second car. He is no doubt using ESP money, but I think you'll see a title sponsor on Manning's car too. Feb 4 it will be announced.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 22:03 (Ref:491066)   #11
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have no idea why people read so much into what driver profiles are on Cart.com. Odds are the webmaster doesn't know much more than the average person on this forum, and can only put up names when Cart tells him to.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 30 Jan 2003, 23:02 (Ref:491116)   #12
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great news about Manning. The series needs a Brit for the crowds at Brands Hatch to cheer for, and Manning proved himself in his only race last year. I think he should go pretty well.
Old 31 Jan 2003, 03:02 (Ref:491300)   #13
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish Manning luck in overcoming what I think is a very weak operation. He showed he is a capable driver at Rockingham. Good Luck Darren!

Tiresmoke,

Even adding in the Atlantics and Herdez associate sponsorship budgets for Corona (perhaps $1.5 M) that still is well short of what is required for a CART effort (roughly $4-5 M). It is very clear that Walker is getting the difference from CART, and that CART is fully funding Manning's ride. I am surprised not at all by this, as Derrick Walker is on the BoD of CART, and Chris Pook has made public his desire to have an English driver in CART.

Nothing done has been contrary to what Chris Pook has said he would do. He has been very clear that he is seeking greater European ownership and driver participation, and that he wants more races in Europe.

f1manoz,

CART would get a decent crowd at Brands Hatch regardless. They are piggy backing on the BTCC race that day.
Old 31 Jan 2003, 07:11 (Ref:491422)   #14
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read Manning's sponsor would be announced on the 4th at Spring Training.
Old 31 Jan 2003, 07:17 (Ref:491429)   #15
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
I read Manning's teammate would be announced on the 4th at Spring Training.
Turns out he was announced while I was reading that!
Old 31 Jan 2003, 07:45 (Ref:491445)   #16
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From Motorsport.com
Quote:
Walker Racing announced their 2003 plans for racing in CART's Champ Car World Series today at their Indianapolis shop. As previously reported at Motorsport.com, Rodolfo Lavin will be driving Walker's #5 Corona-sponsored Reynard this season. Walker's second Reynard (#15) will be driven by young British star, Darren Manning, and will carry the logo of the Royal Auto Club.
So Manning's money is coming from RAC, but how much?

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 31 Jan 2003, 09:43 (Ref:491545)   #17
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought I read something last week about Walker getting rid of the Reynard for the Lola. Sounded strange since he is the owner of Reynard, but I guess he stayed with it. It was the rumor about Panoz buying out the rights to Reynard, or something like that.
Old 31 Jan 2003, 10:49 (Ref:491599)   #18
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news for Darren , at one stage it looked like he was heading back to Japan.
Old 1 Feb 2003, 11:48 (Ref:492816)   #19
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And if he can drive a ChampCar as well as he can throw superminis around a tight car park (anyone else see him on ITV last night?) he'll be fantastic.
Old 1 Feb 2003, 13:52 (Ref:492885)   #20
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I don't care to know all the financial details. I figure the important thing is to get the guys out front and let everyone see what they can do and who they are, and then they will be able to round up more money (or the teams will dump them.) The important thing is to build interest in them as drivers while they find their feet. If it is true that "Americans" only want to watch drivers whose fathers they knew or who have British/Irish heritage, we will soon know. If it is true that Americans like guys who can drive, we will soon know that too.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 06:59 (Ref:493564)   #21
BobbyB
Racer

United States
Santa Barbara, CA, USA
BobbyB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Count me as one of the latter.
Old 2 Feb 2003, 15:40 (Ref:493833)   #22
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Here's a new and interesting rumour from ChampWeb...

Coyne to announce Gonzales
After getting the boot from Walker Racing, Roberto Gonzalez will bring his budget to Dale Coyne Racing for 2003. An announcement is expected after Sebring.