Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 31 Jan 2003, 14:03 (Ref:491851)   #1
teal'c
Rookie

teal'c should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bruno junquiera's number

i have noticed on cart.com that bruno has number 1 for 2003. how does he get this? i thought if the champion from the previous year was not in CART then no-one ran with no. 1 like last year when gil de ferran won in 2001 but left for the other series.
Old 31 Jan 2003, 14:08 (Ref:491853)   #2
*formula3*
Veteran

Germany
*formula3* should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, probably the team my keeps the number? and when penske left noone had the right to have this number on the car? :confused:
Old 31 Jan 2003, 15:42 (Ref:491963)   #3
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the numbering system was completely changed for 2003
Old 31 Jan 2003, 15:59 (Ref:491976)   #4
teal'c
Rookie

teal'c should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how so?
Old 31 Jan 2003, 16:15 (Ref:491987)   #5
Russfeld
Veteran

numbers arent reserved like they were in the past and the # system for drivers is different. Thats why Newman-Haas is #1 and #2 instead of #6 and #11. And why Tracy is in the #3
Old 31 Jan 2003, 17:25 (Ref:492054)   #6
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is not new. Boesel ran in 1996 with the #1 at team Green.
I guess that if the team is the champion it has the right to have no. 1. If Newman-Haas disappeared, then I doubt someone would use it.
But numbers haven't changed completely. I think Walker will still use the 5 and the 15, as always. So will Patrick, with the number 20.
Old 31 Jan 2003, 18:00 (Ref:492072)   #7
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
For what it's worth...

9.32.1. Assignment. All race car numbers are assigned by the Director of Technology and Competition or his designee. Race car number one (1) will be awarded to the CART Champ Car Series champion driver for use in all CART FedEx Championship Series races during the reigning champion driver's season. Numbers two (2) through ninety-nine (98) will be assigned on a permanent basis. Thirteen (13) will not be assigned. As a tribute to his participation and in recognition of his outstanding record of performance as an Indy car driver, number fourteen (14) will be reserved for CART Champ Cars driven by or entered by A. J. Foyt, Jr. so long as his personal involvement in racing continues, and will be permanently retired upon his retirement from this sport. In recognition of the lifetime achievements of race car driver Greg Moore, car number 99 is forever retired from Champ Car competition. Numbers may be voluntarily released at the end of a season by the holder, declaration of non-participation, or reassigned if not used for one complete season. Numbers released will be reassigned using the Championship positions earned by teams during the previous season with preference given to franchise entrants. Use of number one (1) is not cause to relinquish the competitor’s permanently assigned number.

I just downloaded that today. Seems it hasn't been updated recently, as the terms "FedEx" and "IndyCar" are found.
Old 31 Jan 2003, 18:12 (Ref:492085)   #8
Russfeld
Veteran

1996 was under different rules as well I think. There was no #1 at Ganassi in 99 after Zanardi left
Old 31 Jan 2003, 21:17 (Ref:492284)   #9
captain crunch
Racer

captain crunch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I personally think junquiera should run number zero like damon hill did for two years at williams when the champions left.
Old 31 Jan 2003, 22:28 (Ref:492367)   #10
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or maybe is it personal election by the champion team owner, whether he'll have #1 or not.

It's good to see Vasser reunited with "his" number 12. Also, Hunter-Reay will use #31, which reminds me of the old Tasman team of Ribeiro and Fernández... ah, those were the times.
Old 31 Jan 2003, 22:36 (Ref:492376)   #11
Speeddemon555
Veteran

Speeddemon555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's strange why have Bruno get the number one instead of the number two on his car. It supposed to be vacant since DeMatta left the series to go to F1.
Old 31 Jan 2003, 23:00 (Ref:492404)   #12
Russfeld
Veteran

The numbering system changed...
Old 31 Jan 2003, 23:17 (Ref:492423)   #13
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
if you were a driver, and not the previous years champion, would you like to wear #1 the following year.....
Old 1 Feb 2003, 11:42 (Ref:492807)   #14
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
I guess Junqueira doesn't give a *peeep* about the number he has written besides his name. He's the favourite anyway.
Ask Steve Park about using #1 since 1998 in NASCAR...
Old 1 Feb 2003, 12:24 (Ref:492836)   #15
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps Bruno is just carrying the number one in preparation for next year!?
Old 1 Feb 2003, 22:33 (Ref:493269)   #16
shurikus
Rookie

shurikus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by Jordi
Ask Steve Park about using #1 since 1998 in NASCAR...
probably, it's only because Dale Earnhardt Inc. owns that Chevy
Dale Sr. had all rights to use number 1
and I sat down in Gasoline Alley and I cried
Old 1 Feb 2003, 22:44 (Ref:493277)   #17
Russfeld
Veteran

Numbers dont change based on results in NASCAR though
Old 1 Feb 2003, 22:55 (Ref:493284)   #18
shurikus
Rookie

shurikus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Russfeld
Numbers dont change based on results in NASCAR though
yep, and I think, it's much better than changing the numbers every year

Quote:
NASCAR owns and assigns car numbers to an owner(s). NASCAR reserves the right to revoke or transfer car numbers to another owner/team at any time. Car numbers are non-assignable and non-transferable, except by NASCAR. NASCAR works with teams and sponsors when a specific number is requested. If duplication of numbers occur, usually happens with the part-time teams, the fastest qualifier gets to use the number. NASCAR does not issue a duplicate number if a full time team uses it
and I sat down in Gasoline Alley and I cried
Old 2 Feb 2003, 05:50 (Ref:493546)   #19
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think the rule has changed at all. Nothing in the minutes of the Franchise Board Meeting held in December, 2002 where the new rule changes were discussed and voted upon.

Here's where I am quite certain Bruno's number comes from ( an excerpt of macdaddy's post of the exact rule above):

Quote:
Numbers may be voluntarily released at the end of a season by the holder, declaration of non-participation, or reassigned if not used for one complete season. Numbers released will be reassigned using the Championship positions earned by teams during the previous season with preference given to franchise entrants.
Under this provision DaMatta made a declaration of non-participation by declaring he was going to F1. He probably also gave a voluntary release. As such the number was to be reassigned based on team positions. Same thing holds true for Tracy (Forsythe) particularly when you add the franchise language.

Seems pretty clear that the system worked under the existing rules.

Last edited by Flatspot; 2 Feb 2003 at 05:52.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 15:21 (Ref:494955)   #20
gaines
Racer

gaines should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish the numbers didn't change every freaking year. That way Champ Car fans could represent like NASCAR fans do. You stick your favorite driver's number in the rear of your car with his autograph scribbled through it and represent. That's alot easier than having each driver doing what Schu does in F1 and having to have his own symbol for his name. Of course, he might as well actually produce merchandise using the number 1 since he is the only one in F1 who uses it, or will use it until he retires.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 15:54 (Ref:494980)   #21
Russfeld
Veteran

Then why is the numbering order different from past years? Im sure Ganassi wishes he could have run the #1 in 1999
Old 3 Feb 2003, 17:47 (Ref:495123)   #22
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Tagliani has changed teams and still has #33.. of course he's paid by Player's, but.... I guess there are a lot of factors. If a certain driver wants a number and the owner of that number is willing to give it, for example...
Old 3 Feb 2003, 20:23 (Ref:495289)   #23
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know the 1999 number rule but the rule obviously changed after that season inasmuch as the Greg Moore #99 retirement came after the end of the 1999 season. Who knows what happened? Maybe Zanardi wouldn't release it or possibly Montoya didn't want it unless he won it (assuming that's who Chip would have given it to). In any case the current numbers work under the 2002 rules.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 21:54 (Ref:495419)   #24
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its time we had a new numbering system.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 21:58 (Ref:495430)   #25
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
That was your 5999th post, Hakk. And you're right. Drivers should be able to carry the same number throughout their careers. Either that, or teams should. Whatever. Tough call.