Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 17 Jun 2003, 09:47 (Ref:633931)   #1
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Mallory Park layout

Interested to know what anybody thinks about the revised Mallory Park layout? We raced on it for the first time on Sunday.

I am probably biaised as it doesn't suit my car but it certainly made things more interesting for Joe Public.

It would probably be better if drivers were better disuaded from driving on the grass/mud and chucking junk all over the circuit.

I also think people didn't quite show it the respect it deserved.

Comments?
Old 17 Jun 2003, 10:21 (Ref:633969)   #2
formulafordster
Racer

formulafordster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never driven it, but people tell me its not very well suited to cars as its very narrow.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 10:37 (Ref:633981)   #3
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I spectated on Sunday and have aired my views on the Mallory Classic thread. The new chicane is an abortion and should not be used for car meetings. If there is a safety issue at the esses then it should have been addressed in a different way.
The Roadsaloon race was like rallycross and every race and practice session was delayed whilst the track was cleared of rubbish. The knock on effect is that the exit of Gerarards is now more dangerous, because drivers are changing their line to cover the inside for the chicane.
The kerbs are too flat for cars, so corner cutting is easy and going straight on through the run off area is actually faster.
All in all if change is needed in the long term a whole new approach is required. If not a wonderful circuit will be ruined.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 10:48 (Ref:633990)   #4
jonathanc
Racer

jonathanc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard it was only used for bike meets?
Old 17 Jun 2003, 12:32 (Ref:634136)   #5
Barny
Racer

Barny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After competeing on Sunday I too have aired my views on the Mallory Classic thread, and agree totally with paddy's comments.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 18:29 (Ref:634653)   #6
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
See Mallory Classic thread at Trackside.

Denis - watched the Toyo race and you were one of the few guys to make an effort to stay on the tarmac.

Last edited by carrera; 17 Jun 2003 at 18:30.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 19:08 (Ref:634710)   #7
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire

Probably explains why I wasn't quick enough to match the Peugot's!!!
Old 17 Jun 2003, 20:32 (Ref:634850)   #8
ken clarke
Racer

ken clarke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drove it on Sunday. Have driven it before when assessing it for track days ( I am ARDS grade A instructor) Not used on track days as thought too dangerous. The new chicane should be used only for bikes, It is too narrow & the kerbs are too flat for cars. If the esses are regarded as dangerous then cars should be slowed down exiting Gerards therefore leaving the esses as they were, fast flowing and an excellent overtaking place.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 07:54 (Ref:635242)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by ken clarke
Not used on track days as thought too dangerous.
But perfectly ok for flat-out racers. Interesting.

Welcome aboard Ken.

(Now get back to building that engine!)
Old 18 Jun 2003, 09:10 (Ref:635302)   #10
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why this obsession with trying to make circuits safe, motor racing is dangerous, we all know it, and, I wonder how many of us would bother to do it if someone did eventually manage to make it completely safe?
Old 18 Jun 2003, 09:35 (Ref:635328)   #11
jonathanc
Racer

jonathanc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
eerrrrmmmm.... but it still a sport. Why should something have to be dangerous in order to be enjoyed? Sorry, but safety is important in any sport. If UK club level motorsport sport isnt dangerous enough for you I'd suggest something like bungee jumping without the bungee
Old 18 Jun 2003, 10:17 (Ref:635356)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I do agree that there is a certain amount of political correctness about it all. However in order to make things safer it means changing circuit characteristics which increases the cost of repairs etc. for the competitor. At least that's what seems to be the case in connection with Edwinas.

If, as Ken said, it was deemed unsafe for a track day where "after you claude" is the rule, I struggle to understand how can it be safe for a race situation?
Old 18 Jun 2003, 11:42 (Ref:635413)   #13
dog ring
Rookie

dog ring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Why this obsession with trying to make circuits safe, motor racing is dangerous?
:confused: ...to reduce the number of fatalities and serious injuries.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 12:55 (Ref:635483)   #14
Barny
Racer

Barny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Their are only three real sports, motor racing, mountaineering and bullfighting, the rest are just games"
Earnest Hemingway.

Lets not turn motor racing into a game too!
Old 18 Jun 2003, 13:03 (Ref:635491)   #15
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be wonderful to be able to think that no-one would ever again be killed or injured in Motor Sport, but surely it is an impossible dream unless the whole sport is altered beyond any recognition. Any cicuit with a solid obstacle within a given distance of the track edge would either have to remove it or artificially slow down the racing. I would guess that someone has died at just about every corner in the country at some time or other. What about the grid layout at Mallory, I know of injuries that have resulted from that in the past. I know of deaths and injuries as a direct result of deployment of the black and yellow flag, tangling of single seater wheels, saloon car seats becoming detached on impact, sidecar passengers falling off, chassis failures on just about all types of racing vehicles the list goes on and on. If a bank can be moved or a gravel trap inserted then fine, I applaud that, but once you start down the road of slowing the vehicles then the job will never be completed until the sport has been reduced to something totally worthless.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 13:24 (Ref:635520)   #16
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must say that I agree to a great extent with what Bob says. The sport will never be safe only safer. However it seems to me that the safer it gets the more accidents there are and the worse driving standards get. An example on Sunday was 1 competitor in the roadsaloons who only managed to get Edwinas right on the cooling down lap! Would he have been taking that chance at the esses?
I feel that in the end something has to be done to cars themselves. Cornering speeds get higher and higher in modern motorsport as downforce rules with the consequence that accidents get bigger and overtaking more difficult. So keep a check on cornering speeds and spectators and drivers can enjoy the sport without seas of gravel, chicanes and concentration camp fences.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 13:39 (Ref:635531)   #17
dog ring
Rookie

dog ring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Why this obsession with trying to make circuits safe, motor racing is dangerous?
:confused: ...to reduce the number of fatalities and serious injuries.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 14:09 (Ref:635554)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Um,

You've said that already? Can you expand?
Old 18 Jun 2003, 16:03 (Ref:635647)   #19
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
Looking at the video my wife took of the corner I reckon you could gain 0.5-1 second by 'not getting the corner right'.

This raises two points, the first being why didn't I think of it but more seriously the second being why wasn't something done to prevent people 'bending' the rules.

It is obvious to anyone that has raced before that a car with decent ground clearance (eg Pug 205 or XR2) in an competive series (eg 'road saloons' which I think people mean mod prods) is going to do what they can to gain 0.5-1 second. Cutting a corner is a pretty cheap reduction in lap time, especially if he/she doesn't get a black flag or at least a reprimand afterwards.

In the Mod Prods defence I would also like to point out that there was a bl**dy great oil slick on the said corner and driving round it correctly AND avoiding oil cost a lot of time and left you open to attack from somebody who has a lot easier job getting body panels than I do.

Paddy - would be interested to know who/what didn't get the corner right until the slow down lap. Might have a word with them before Snetterton as the CoC clearly didn't be bothered.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 21:42 (Ref:636028)   #20
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It may be of interest to know that the CoC did have a word in several ears after blantant corner cutting was reported. However unless someone cuts the corner repeatedly i.e. on 2 or more consecutive laps its hard to prove that it is blantant and not "just accidental".
Old 19 Jun 2003, 09:32 (Ref:636384)   #21
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
Denis I think it was Peugeot no. 31. I agree it was awkward because of the oil that was down, but he just didn't seem to brake early enough and missed the first apex. With the result of running wide across the dirt.