Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > 10 Tenths Motorsport > Announcements and Feedback

Old 15 Jul 2003, 20:01 (Ref:662210)   #1
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Weird...

I was just reading about in the F1 forum, when i was finished reading stuff i closed the browser and went to fetch a drink in the kitchen downstairs.

Okidoki, i come back in my room and notice that there are at least 78 pages opened on the thread page that i closed down earlier and still more were popping up.

I resolved it now with the task manager (or whatever it's called in the English version of XP) but i would want to know if this could be a problem with the site or with my computer?
Old 15 Jul 2003, 20:04 (Ref:662211)   #2
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sounds like you have some spybot software on your computer. Get yourself "ad-aware" and run it to find and remove things like gator, xupiter, etc.

These things are "stealth-installed" by an alarming number of "commercial" websites.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 15 Jul 2003, 20:04 (Ref:662212)   #3
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ad-aware:

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 15 Jul 2003, 20:13 (Ref:662217)   #4
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Holy Guacamole!
226 identified objects!
Mostly Gator, Hotbar, and tracking cookies!

What should i do with them?
Quarantine?
Old 15 Jul 2003, 20:23 (Ref:662231)   #5
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Do whatever you wish to neuter them. I guess quarantine is the right thing. I haven't had to run the software for a month, so I forget.

-Bill James
Old 15 Jul 2003, 20:35 (Ref:662239)   #6
ASCII Man
Veteran

Okay, thanks!
Old 15 Jul 2003, 20:56 (Ref:662264)   #7
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quarantine and delete the buggers!
I had the too, and got the same trouble with multiple windows you did-i use ad-aware everyfew days now and always cleans something out.
Old 15 Jul 2003, 21:06 (Ref:662283)   #8
ASCII Man
Veteran

Maybe it's this what causes the server to overload sometimes and give the "Server is too busy" error?
Old 17 Jul 2003, 05:25 (Ref:663580)   #9
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
man i run that thing every day and i still get 20 or 30. I can leave my copmuter for ten minutes with no ie open windows or anything, and i come back to 40 or 50 pop ups. Isn't installing stuff on someones computer without their permission illegal? it seems like hacking to me
Old 17 Jul 2003, 12:02 (Ref:663800)   #10
ASCII Man
Veteran

They usually have a disclaimer where you supposedly agree to have spyware installed on your computer, you should read those things they want you to agree to.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 21:08 (Ref:664371)   #11
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never believe a disclaimer. These days companies are either re-inventing what the term "Spyware" means or theyll outright lie to you. You never know whats on your computer until its already there.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 21:46 (Ref:664409)   #12
ASCII Man
Veteran

Too true...
Old 18 Jul 2003, 11:11 (Ref:664767)   #13
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Another good spyware remover is SpyBot 'Search & Destroy" http://security.kolla.de/index.php?l...&page=download .I replaced adware with this I found it easier and more thorough at booting out all the nasties.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 13:14 (Ref:664872)   #14
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
I actually use both, as they seem to find things the other doesn't. Remember, like any virus software, you have to update the definitions periodically.

-Bill James
Old 19 Jul 2003, 11:11 (Ref:665524)   #15
Bomn
Veteran

Australia
Bomn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You could also try a pop up stopper. I use "Pop This" http://www.mathies.com/popthis/ with ad aware and have had a lot less problems.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 14:12 (Ref:666221)   #16
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I use StopZilla to kill pop-ups. However, this doesn't work on those gray pop-ups you get from AOL. Anybody know how to get rid of THOSE things?
Old 20 Jul 2003, 14:39 (Ref:666257)   #17
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Change to a decent ISP?
Old 20 Jul 2003, 14:46 (Ref:666265)   #18
Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Veteran

Sim_Da_BTCC_Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill
Change to a decent ISP?

Does anyone actually LIKE AOL???