Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 17 Oct 2003, 23:12 (Ref:754819)   #51
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks for the kind comments, folks. We know that the vast majority of drivers see it the same as we do - a team effort that involves us and them all trying for the same thing - an enjoyable and safe day.

Where we do get criticism, I find it's either from lack of understanding, or from professional drivers who believe their own publicity. Fortunately both situations are unusual, and the former is particularly simple to try to correct with a little explanation. The latter really isn't important. One day they'll need us.

So to repeat what several of us have said on a number of occasions, anytime a driver, team member or anyone else who would like to gain an insight into what goes on and why we do what we do, or if you're unfortunate enough to damage your car one day and can't run on the next, don't waste your trip, please take the opportunity to join us. You'll find us very welcoming and I guarantee you will take something worthwhile from the experience, and it also gives us a chance to learn from you. It's easy to get complacent, because I really don't understand how much work you've done just to be there or what happens to you during the rest of the day, and I like to find out.

Last edited by Woolley; 17 Oct 2003 at 23:14.
Old 17 Oct 2003, 23:28 (Ref:754829)   #52
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
well said.....as we all know marshals and drivers have a kind of partnership...drivers cant do without marshals and vice versa....i think we all need a better understanding of eachother...sos hows about this....we set up a buddy system....1 driver and 1 marshal...trade places for the day...i bagsy justin law...I WANT THAT XJR9....well maybe he could marshal....dont think it would be possible the other way around
Old 20 Oct 2003, 11:56 (Ref:756871)   #53
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by delta25
I find that the people I have more trouble with are the ones who are given hospitality passes and told that they will allow them "anywhere they want to go". When I have to ask these people (usually armed with small children, lit cigarettes and booze) to leave the pit lane I usually get hassle because they don't understand the dangers.
[soapbox] Deff agree with you Delta25, and when told to remove the small child they usually say "well s/he has a pass so it's OK" - yes of course it is, when a car/piece of car etc. comes flying towards said child the pass will act as a magic shield and protect the child from any injury...

or..."s/he's with me so it's OK", oh good, so you'll turn into superman and repel the flying object before anyone gets hurt - that's OK then. [/soapbox]

Don't start me on this, I could go on for hours...

Last edited by Piglet; 20 Oct 2003 at 11:57.
Old 20 Oct 2003, 16:09 (Ref:757177)   #54
terje
Rookie

United Kingdom
In two-part foam
terje should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going back to the original posting, my team had a similar problem earlyer this year at pembrey, all 3 people were told that they could not stand on the pit wall because their red shirts made them look like red flags!
Old 26 Oct 2003, 16:09 (Ref:763721)   #55
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i recall a friend of mine inadvertantly red flaging a sprint by putting up a red umberella when it rained,. so i can understand them being asked to leave although asking them to standback a bit or cover the yellow up would seem better

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 28 Oct 2003, 21:26 (Ref:766184)   #56
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well well well, an old chestnut come back to haunt us.

As a driver, I have a damn good idea where the marshalls posts are, and what a flag looks like.

I also know what a coat looks like.

I too have been asked to remove my wet weather coat while standing in the p-ing rain on the pitwall at Brands, because it was yellow. I was some 100 yds away from the marshalls post at the finish line, and holding a bloody great pitboard, which to even the most untrained IQ-0 brain, doesn't look like a flag marshall waving?

Now as a driver, I must admit I'm really confused by these guys in faded bright orange overalls waving green flags. Are they saying it's OK, or is it danger?

Then there are those people standing on the pitwall in black coats holding numbers on boards? If that's my number, should I come into the pits and report to the clerk of the course?

What's more, Messrs Todt, Brawn, etc.. wearing red...

The people wearing white shirts, or are they white flags warning me of a slow vehicle on the track.

Ooo, was that a blue flag, or a blue shirt, arr better check my mirrors again!.

Was that a white shirt with black trouser, or have I been naughty?

Dear Mr Marshall. GET REAL!

Yes there are odd circumstances where people (nay, dullards) may get confused. But considering how many drivers don't even seem to take notice of flag signals, what's the problem.

And, yes, we all know that part of the marshalls training course consists of the following modules.

Track Marshall :
1. Letting off the extinguisher - If a car should grind to a halt near your post, make sure that you pull all available pulls, press every available button. That should make sure that the electrics are off. For some reason, it probably results in lots of foam squirting all over the shop too.
2. If a car should have rolled, and landed near your post, make sure that it's on it's roof before releasing the driver's harness. Then let off the fire extinguisher(s).
3. If you have flags to wave, and they are blue, just leave them in the box...(a) because you'll wave it a the wrong cars, and (b) because they'll most likely ignore you.

Paddock/Pit Marshall.
Your overalls will be adorned by the insignia of the Wermacht. You will also go on the traffic warden's training course, and have any form of charisma, sense of humour, or personality removed by surgical (or chemical) means.
You will be eagle eyed for vehicles leaking fluids and get them off of the grid in a shot (just been washed!).
You will move pit crews off of the pit wall for wearing garments of a similar colour to those flags waved by your compatriots on the trackside. Your achievements will include the entire Ferrari Team for wearing red, Jordan for Yellow, McLaren Mercedes for wearing their black coats in cold weather, Sauber for wearing white shirts in warm weather, and not forgetting Max Moseley for wearing a blue tie with intent to wave it at a car leading a race that wasn't red.

Sorry Cybil, being silly.

Before you bite, I too have had the marshalls training too. Been there, done that, burned the the t-shirt.

I expect revenge next season no doubt.

Still, without "you lot", we wouldn't be racing. Keep up the good work, and remember SMILE! If you enjoy it, do it.

Happy days.

Rob.
Old 28 Oct 2003, 22:03 (Ref:766215)   #57
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you frustrated or just unable to take a look at things from a different perspective? I've noticed on several fora within 10-10ths that drivers chose to do a day on a marshal's post. You could give it a thought. Discussing our (and that includes yours) feelings, seems to help understanding each other's role and even more the difficulties we (and that's you as well) get in to. Just a thought. For some reason I have the feeling that you're not the type of guy that would really do this. Prove me wrong!!
Old 28 Oct 2003, 22:17 (Ref:766236)   #58
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Assuming that you are referring to my last post, you forget one thing.

Many of my comments were thoroughly timerous, if not downright tongue in cheek.

QUOTE:
"Before you bite, I too have had the marshalls training too. Been there, done that, burned the the t-shirt.

I expect revenge next season no doubt.

Still, without "you lot", we wouldn't be racing. Keep up the good work, and remember SMILE! If you enjoy it, do it."

UNQUOTE.

I have been on the other side of the armco as a former BMRMC member.

I fully understand the value of our marshalls, and praise them for the sterling work that they do. However, there are loopies in both camps. But the drivers are called "characters", but the marshals are then called bolshie gits. Fact of life!

Say Hello, Wave Goodbye.

Thank You for Calling.

Rob.
Old 28 Oct 2003, 22:53 (Ref:766275)   #59
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Rob,

I’m not going to argue with the “fact of life” thing. In fact I’m very glad NOT to be in “the lime light”. As for the “tongue in cheek” thing, pardon my understanding of the use of the language. I suppose I got it wrong (again). (Just a b***** foreigner trying to communicate with you lots, while actually not understanding your real thoughts. Sorry if I took it to heavy. Nevertheless, and I quite well understand your viewings, it’s not nice to (taking it to the Zandvoort situation) be sitting in an intervention vehicle, waiting to respond to accidents, and seeing “moving yellows” while it’s raining and we have poor sight . “Is that a yellow flag, is that double yellow flags?”. No it’s a couple of idiots next to the post who just decided to get their rain gear on. I don’t want that and I’m sure you can understand this. Now, lets’s just leave the pitlane situations with people wearing all kinds of colours out of the discussion and stick to the track situation. I’m sure that nobody wants to have any marshal being insecure of what he sees, and acting on it. Therefore it would be a wise thing if people standing around a track would not wear “these colours”. And if F1 is around EVERYTHING is different, so let ‘s not go into that.

Cheers,

Chap
Old 28 Oct 2003, 23:30 (Ref:766321)   #60
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rob you're a marked man.

Next season:
I hope you you know the account number and PIN to Bernie's bank account.
Have a cheque book the size of the Encyclopedia Brittanica.
Have a car that's been steam cleaned for every event.
Employ a lawyer to interpret every reg you've never heard of.
Don't even think about passing anyone as the automatic response will be a fusilade of yellow flags.
Carry every lucky charm you have to avoid stopping out on the circuit.

Can anyone else help out this poor misguided ex-marshal now confused driver.

Old 29 Oct 2003, 07:52 (Ref:766587)   #61
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rob, I would have thought the amount of time you spend talking to marshalls during your race you would have been a bit more careful talking ABOUT them!!!!

Anyway, might have a buyer for your Nova, I'll let you know.
Old 30 Oct 2003, 22:00 (Ref:768530)   #62
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
Chigley,

You must remember, I'm probably a darned site more pro-marshal than Nicola Foulston ever was!! And what's more, I ALWAYS give a wave of thanks to the Marshalls on my slowing down lap. It is my job to entertain as well as trash, err I mean drive the wheels off of my car in an effort to catch young whippersnappers like Bassom!

One final thing, in the older tradition of the overnight pre-race visitors to the bar, I will buy a marshal a drink. NO, NOT ALL OF YOU AT ONCE

Denis....
And other than Silvertone, Silverstone, Oulton Park, Mallory Park, and Silverstone, my car has run faultlessly. I quite enjoyed my chats with the marshalls at Oulton. Bloody good chaps up there! 500 more yards and that would have been a race finish!

Ein vor den Strasse bitte! (**** German translation)

Rob
Old 30 Oct 2003, 23:24 (Ref:768606)   #63
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rob, I'm not sure everyone picked up on the tongue in cheek bit. For the record, I thought it was quite amusing. See you in the bar. We'll just bring the one bus full to begin with...
Old 31 Oct 2003, 09:42 (Ref:768935)   #64
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by racing59
Then there are those people standing on the pitwall in black coats holding numbers on boards? If that's my number, should I come into the pits and report to the clerk of the course?
I once heard a story of a car pulling into the pits (I think it was Donington, but I'm not sure) responding to a Black flag. Sadly, no-one knew about this said black flag. Upon investigation, it emmergered that his car number was the the same as a marshals post at the back of the circuit. He saw the number, and thus assumed it was for him...
Old 31 Oct 2003, 11:24 (Ref:769032)   #65
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At a VSCC meeting at Donington we showed one driver the black flag. He anchored up and came to a halt about five yards past the startline. "Did you want to speak to me?" he politely enquired.

Probably thought our response a bit less than generous.

Jim

Last edited by JimW; 31 Oct 2003 at 11:25.
Old 31 Oct 2003, 13:02 (Ref:769130)   #66
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At least he SAW the black flag!!!!
Old 31 Oct 2003, 13:28 (Ref:769167)   #67
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Rob,

Yis fine, tis fine. Twoz tongue in cheek to tongue in cheek.

But still make sure you have a six pack with you if you stop out on the track!!!
Old 31 Oct 2003, 18:40 (Ref:769483)   #68
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Ooh-er, crunch those abs. That's something else Delta25 will check before you leave the pits...
Old 1 Nov 2003, 08:59 (Ref:769921)   #69
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
Chigley said..

"But still make sure you have a six pack with you if you stop out on the track!!! "

I was thinking about fitting a bar in the boot, a few optics, maybe Adnams, or Fullers London Pride on hand pump.. just in case!

Rob
Old 1 Nov 2003, 11:12 (Ref:770000)   #70
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Sounds good, but I wouldn't recommend it. If that car gets in my gravel, it's staying there...
Old 1 Nov 2003, 17:56 (Ref:770229)   #71
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Quote:
I was thinking about fitting a bar in the boot, a few optics, maybe Adnams, or Fullers London Pride on hand pump.. just in case!
Now that one modification that can go in into any regulation changes, just keep the scrut's and "specialists" away from it until it reaches its proper destination. I assume it doesn't have to go through post race weight checks!!
Old 1 Nov 2003, 19:12 (Ref:770266)   #72
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
As far as the race officials are concerned, I was intending to make one of the optics Gin, and to carry plenty of Tonic, Ice, and a few slices of lemon.

Rob.

Is it me, or is this thread degrading into jovial banter. Good lord, must have a cold shower, and put Eastenders on to depress me.
Old 1 Nov 2003, 21:23 (Ref:770336)   #73
kartingdad
Veteran

kartingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I only wanted to bleat about a barmy decision, and now everybody wants to buy the marshalls a drinkie!

Another barmy decision?

Time to call it a day here folks, there's racing to be done.
Old 1 Nov 2003, 21:29 (Ref:770342)   #74
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you won the Lottery tonight KD?
I hope so, coz that might get No.1 son of KD out in the WH next weekend.