Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 May 2001, 15:56 (Ref:91867)   #1
renaultbel
Racer

renaultbel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An interview with Mika Hakkinen before the GP

McLaren driver, Mika Hakkinen endured a difficult qualifying session yesterday, the Finn recording his worst start to a race so far in the 2001 season. Starting from eighth on the grid was not where he planned to end up, especially after the MP4-16 had performed strongly throughout all the earlier practice sessions. This interview was taken prior to Friday's first practice hour and the Finn discusses the last race in Spain and a few aspects of the A1-Ring and this afternoon's race.

Mika, tell us about the Spanish Grand Prix.

Mika: It was a fantastic weekend in Barcelona. Everything went well on Friday and Saturday and also on Sunday until the last lap when it all turned bad. I had a technical problem with the clutch and I couldn't get to the end of the last lap, even though I was leading by half a minute. I had to stop at the side of the track. All I could do was wave at the crowd and walk away.

Before that race you had been determined to win. How do you cope with an ending like that?

Mika: At the time, it was hard to believe what had happened. All the time, you are trying to fiddle with everything you have in the car to try and get round the problem. Psychologically, it was a heavy impact, especially as the start of the season has not been too fantastic for me. So I thought Barcelona was going to be a change for me in terms of scoring more points, but it didn't happen.

It would have been understandable if you had kicked the car and gotten angry when you got out of the cockpit, but you just waved and hitched a lift on David's car. What were you thinking at the time?

Mika: I was sitting on the sidepod and to be honest I was just hoping I wouldn't fall off. It was a situation where teammates worked together. We talked about what happened and in a way it strengthened the team.

The car's performance has improved a great deal and the second stop in the Spanish GP also worked very well. Is the team as a whole working better now?

Mika: Yes, definitely. It is strange to think that a team like West McLaren Mercedes where everything is done to achieve perfection can be in this situation, but the truth is there is always something else you can do to make the car better or to improve the way the team works. But we are definitely extremely strong at the moment.

Spain was the first race with traction control and other electronic aids. What is your first impression of it's affect?

Mika: First of all, it's a massive help for the driver. You don't have to think too much about putting your foot on the throttle coming out of the corners, because the electronics control the wheelspin. So, it makes the driving much easier. At the same time, it can make the driver overdrive the car as the electronics help you so much. I think they also bring a bit more safety to F1.

Tell us about the A1-Ring, where McLaren has always gone well

Mika: It should be an action packed race. Overtaking is quite easy here if you have a good car. Generally, the track is a fun one to drive and with the electronics on the car, the drivers should be able to enjoy it even more.

You are 24 points behind David and 32 behind Michael Schumacher. How do you approach this weekend and how do you look at the championship?

Mika: You should always bear in mind that you should think about the championship a little bit. All I can do is score points and then towards the end of the season, if I see I don't have a chance of winning then it will be a different game. But at the moment we have to push very hard.

The start here is uphill, is that a problem?

Mika: I don't see it as a problem at all to be honest. Because we have launch control the driver cannot make too many mistakes. The pressure is not at the start here, it comes at the first corner. That is a hectic moment, because probably all the cars will leave the grid at the same time.

The weather can be unpredictable here. What happens if it rains on Sunday for the first time over the weekend?

Mika: I guess I'll just bring an umbrella with me!