Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 May 2004, 06:16 (Ref:968338)   #26
CamF1
Rookie

CamF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe that any sort of entertainment value from F1 comes from the person watching. Perhaps part of the problem is due to people watching and comparing todays situation to a preconceived idea of how F1 should be. Maybe the problem is inside not outside, if we keep changing F1 every year because it doesn't live upto our expectations then we may spend our lives dissatisfied. Perhaps we shouldn't be so self centred as 'fans' to expect that the whole thing is created entirely for our benefit (although I agree that the public does contribute to the on going success somewhat, but not entirely).
Old 13 May 2004, 02:24 (Ref:969373)   #27
Homer Simpson
Rookie

Homer Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First of all, F1 teams compete for TWO titles; let's not forget that the World Constructors Championship also happens to be one of them. There is no question that F1 as is it exists today cannot survive for long, but it will a travesty to throw out a century of grand prix history by neutering technical innovation out of the sport! I'm by no means a Ferrari fan, but I admire the team for having brought together the best package of chassis, engine, and driver. To bring more "entertainment" to every other Sunday by taking away the technical advantage they have built over the last five years is just as bad as the idea of having drivers swap cars.
Would I like to see closer racing in F1? Yes. But not if that means F1 degenerates into a more expensive version of F3.
Old 13 May 2004, 03:30 (Ref:969408)   #28
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I'm a McLaren enthusiast and fan first, and an F1 enthusiast second, cos I just love these machines. The progression of technology over the years etc.
So for that reason, I will never turn my back on F1, although I did not watch the last 3 races in 2002, because it was just a pathetic "battle" between the two Ferraris, where they were probably chatting all race long about what to do at teh end, I don't recall such boredom when McLaren had the best car, it was car for car, Mika VS DC, or Senna VS PRost, or Prost VS Lauda. And no one knew what was gonna happen and for tha reason F1 was rocking.
Old 13 May 2004, 03:43 (Ref:969422)   #29
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Couldn't agree more Homer Simpson. But as I've said in other threads, Todt needs to be told to go **** something with 4 legs every time he turns up to whine at the FIA and make a protest. Changing F1 rules every year is not the answer, as you rightly said. It's ****, we should never have had t/c and launch control reintroduced, the cars should have not changed since the end of 2000. The raising of the front wings just makes them look so blunt.

Also, something which we cannot change, is who Schumacher's team mate is. I for one, could quite comfortably live with seeing Ferrari dominate, but ONLY if there was two class drivers going for it. I do not believe Schumacher is up for that kind of challenge, and its something that he will never ever conquer.
V10s should remain, the tyre battle should remain, paddle shifted semi auto trans should remain, the points system should remain, and everything else, just LEAVE it for a few seasons. Max and Charlie are so busy changing the rules, yet they are constantly allowing Todt to get his own way with nummmmmeeerrrrroooouuuussssss protests, and therefore it all swings in Ferrari's favour.
Spa '99, Salo backs Ralf up by over 3 seconds a lap to allow Irvine to get out and clinch 4th place, they did teh same at Austria 98 01 02, and yet it was them who protested any kind of team orders by McLaren at Japan in 2000 because we all knew that DC was gonna help Mika out as either would have done for the other who was in the championship chase at the end, but that was halted by an FIA announcement saying there will be NO Such team orders by any team for the remainder of the season. Utter ****! THe grid being moved back AFTER schu scored pole to allow the pole sitter no chance at wheel spin over teh bricks, another decision going Ferraris way. Yes, ok, Mika's car self destructed at the US GP which meant he was 8 points behind with 2 races remaining. But DC could have been easily used to back sChumacher up out of range of Mika at Japan, just as SCHU did the same for the WHOLE race at Malaysia '99, but no, its the FIA that make the decision which favours Ferrari.

Max needs to sort this **** out, mind you, it's far too late for that now. Michelin have got to respond somehow...mind you, its too late for that as well. The championship is over, and its only what, 4 races into the season? That is the biggest joke in the history of motorsport I have ever heard of. We should be looking forward to a battle between two great drivers in the best car, as we did so many times before with Williams, Lotus, McLaren etc.
I also refer to the gearbox taht McLaren invested millions into, that Ferrari also had banned last year, for their 19a before it reached the race track.
Old 13 May 2004, 05:13 (Ref:969450)   #30
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nah...Mclaren today is but a shadow of it's former self...Senna vs Prost is great..the red/white Mclarens were one of the few liveries that really stayed in my mind... But DC vs anybody...no contest, just plain dull. And talking about lack of emotions and corporate/business, Mclaren takes the top.

And strange that we are talking about Ferrari's 2 drivers...because Michael had a better teammate then what Mika and now Kimi had to contend with... Until next year that is.. *rubs my hands with glee*

And Mr Mclaren-fan, you'd realise that decisions are made by most,if not all teams..not by Mr Todt and his Max-friend. If anything..It's a Mr Ron who loves to say "NO!"

The "biggest joke of the history" is not because Ferrari did a bloody good job, but how Mclaren, among others, did a very bad one.

And Mclaren (again among others) made "nummmmmeeerrrrroooouuuussssss protests" against Ferrari and other teams...so what's the problem?

Com'on, i understand you are a Mclaren fan, and i respect that, but at least try to respect Ferrari too even if you don't like them. Look at what Mclaren did before saying how Ferrari did things bad.

Old 14 May 2004, 03:19 (Ref:970475)   #31
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Of course, it is frustrating. But has anyone the guts to come forward to say what they think about Ferrari's "team" tactics?
It is the sole reason why it is frustrating ,and I have no idea how you see it any other way. And you obviously believe DC to be a below par driver? Where on earth did you make that judgement from? Read into what I was saying. Since when did Ron Dennis protest any Ferrari result or componentry such as in the way that Mr Tit has done in countless occasions in the past.
What's done is done, but you are ****ing in teh wind to be wanting to change the rules for the millionth time in the last 4 years. What we had in 2000, WORKED.

Hakkinen, Villeneuve, Berger, Senna, Prost, Piquet, Clarke, G. Villeneuve etc etc etc, I could go on for hours, have all won races and/or championships, fighting against a team mate who has the same opportunity with the same machinery. This is what we are missing now. Because this is what Ferrari have constantly, over the years, denied US, the fans. A battle between two of the best drivers in F1 driving the very best car.
Schumacher can add as many numbers to his record as he wants, but he will never do the most respectable feat, BEAT his team mate to the championship.
Old 14 May 2004, 03:26 (Ref:970476)   #32
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
[QUOTEAnd talking about lack of emotions and corporate/business, Mclaren takes the top.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Just another public perception of yours and most people it seems. Being a member of the Bruce McLaren Trust, and having much more access than even the Team McLaren Club, to news and the goss within the team, because the trust is run by Bruce's sister, and numerous ex McLaren employees regularly attend the functions and meetings, we have a rough idea what they are like to say the least. And from the inside, the employees will tell you how great a company it is to work for.
I am not trying to nor am I about to attempt to change your view of McLaren or Ferrari, but as far as excitment goes, Ferrari have ruined it for everyone by their manipulation of the rules and us the fans (ala Austria 01, 02 and many other such artificial races), and McLaren is still, along with Williams the only team able to beat Ferrari.
BAR will do ok this year, but they do not have the experience or all the other factors needed to beat Ferrari. They need to be in F1 for another 10 years before they come close to being ready. And Renault I feel won't win in the near future either. The next world champion will be Raikkonen or Montoya.
Old 14 May 2004, 04:37 (Ref:970502)   #33
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Several years back it seemed as though Ferrari always complained when Williams or McLaren got a technical advantage (like Macca's one wheel braking system)and the fIA tech people would ban it. Now Ferrari has a technical advantage and they don't want anythoing that will force them to give it up. The Ecclestone attitude is that F1 needs Ferrari more than Ferrari needs F1 and so they seem at times to have more influence than the other teams. How true that is is hard to say but you have to acknowledge the friend of Freud who says 'F1 is a fixed sport'. If that is the perception then how do you deal with it?

Maybe F1 has tried too hard to be entertainment and changes to the formula, poit scoring systems etc have in fact devalued the sport as the public sees it as just a manipulative game whereas the traditional stick and ball TV sorts eg tennis, golf etc have maintained a sort of timeless dignity in the preservation of their rules.
Old 14 May 2004, 07:06 (Ref:970568)   #34
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So it's all Ferrari's fault, eh Andrew?

There have been times over the last few years where McLaren have had the best chassis and Williams the best engine (BMW), but Ferrari had the best engine/chassis/driver combination.

How is it Ferrari's fault that the Mercedes engine bursts into smoke more than the sponsors products?

It seems that McLaren have formed a close relationship with the wrong engine supplier.
Old 14 May 2004, 08:32 (Ref:970634)   #35
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This year, Ferrari had won. MS had won........but Ferrari didn't prevent Rubens from trying to compete with MS. Rubens is simply inconsist in producing the results.