Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 May 2004, 05:15 (Ref:970518)   #26
GPdreamer
Rookie

GPdreamer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jeff Gordon has open wheel racing experience, and NASCAR does run a few road courses during their season(Sears point, etc)of which the NASCAR color commentators call him "The Road Master" or something to that affect.But IMHO I dont think that he has the road course/open wheel experience that a F1 team is looking for.Besides looking back on it all drivers that have gone from one league to another,for the most part dont have the success they had in the new league that they had in their previous league, so why unless he had nothing more in mind for NASCAR would he make the move.
Old 14 May 2004, 07:06 (Ref:970569)   #27
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jeff has nothing to gain from F1..he's makeing millions in NASCAR without all the political BS. F1 needs Jeff more than Jeff needs F1 put it that way. F1 would gain a signifigant boost by having Jeff in the series, however it will take a serious offer from either Williams or Ferrari (maybe Renault) to get Jeff into F1.
He will need a definate race winning team to even think about it, why stuggle in F1 when you can live as a king in NASCAR???
Jeff would be great for F1 it would bring all the yanks into the sport (if he could win races!) and Bernie would love it. However he hasn't raced in anything besides ovals so only a top car would make him look legitamate for at least the first year.
I would love to see him in F1 but like I said F1 needs him more than he needs F1...he'll have to be given a top ride if its even possible.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 14 May 2004, 07:47 (Ref:970591)   #28
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by TeddyG

I would love to see him in F1 but like I said F1 needs him more than he needs F1...he'll have to be given a top ride if its even possible.
Sorry, my friend, but NO. F1 and europe can care less about Jeff Gordon. People in europe hardly know who Jeff Gordon is. And people here in US care less..

Even if he makes it to f1, it will be difficult for him to survive. Open wheel racing and then Formula one is just way way different from what he's been doing his entire life. I would instead see Tracy or Dixon in f1 than Gordon.
Old 14 May 2004, 08:09 (Ref:970608)   #29
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
All this need talk is odd. Jeff doesn't need F1 and F1 doesn't need Jeff.

Is F1 going to fold if Gordon doesn't come to F1? Will Jeff stop his career if he doesn't get an F1 drive? That'll be no and no.

Last edited by Adam43; 14 May 2004 at 11:41.
Old 14 May 2004, 11:32 (Ref:970778)   #30
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Firstly, thanks Mr. Ashmore for repeatedly trying to reconcile what can only be 'pure opinions' on both sides of the fence here...

I am not trying to join either side, I think it would be great for both Gordon and F1 should he join the paddock next year (or any year).

That being said, there are a couple statements I'd like to address that have made me cringe...

Sorry, my friend, but NO. F1 and europe can care less about Jeff Gordon. People in europe hardly know who Jeff Gordon is.

By and large, that may be true. But it is also true that, by and large, the US couldn't care less about F1. I'd be willing to bet that less than 5% of the US population knows who Michael Schumacher is. Neither needs, or is more desperate for, the other. Gordon would love to race F1, and Bernie would love to get his claws deeper into the US market. Dixon, and even Tracy (although to a lesser extent), would not get 1/4 the attention going to F1 that Gordon would get here in the US from sponsors and fans alike, whether they had a better chance at being competitive or not.

I disagree with a lot of the other posts in this thread, but I will let it go... as I'm sure many disagree with me!

Last edited by shiny side up!; 14 May 2004 at 11:33.
Old 14 May 2004, 14:44 (Ref:970988)   #31
freud
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by shiny side up!
Bernie would love to get his claws deeper into the US market.
Not really.

Bernie Ecclestone became one of the richest man in the entire world and the richest man in UK when F1 did not have any GP in the US. Offcourse US is a potential market but so is Asia and so is Russia and so is eastern europe.

Bernie's major concern is the upheaval in europe because of news strict laws being introduced every now and then. First it was safety, then smoking, now driver deaths on track.. Its no secret that Bernie is very keen to introduce news venues outside europe and US is just one of them.
Old 14 May 2004, 15:34 (Ref:971025)   #32
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
:confused:

Errr, I guess I should just leave it at:
Old 14 May 2004, 15:39 (Ref:971027)   #33
freud
Veteran

Whatever...

I dont think there is further discussion needed. Both Fi and Gordon does not need each other and probably its better for both if they remain where they are now.
Old 14 May 2004, 16:05 (Ref:971060)   #34
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I seriously doubt that Jeff Gordon will get a race seat in F1. However, I suppose the possibility is there, and thus it is worthy of discussion. I also agree with Adam (excellent posts) that there is no "need" involved here, in either direction. But IMO you're blind if you can't see a benefit in favor of F1 should Gordon get a race drive (not a "need" a benefit!).

NASCAR has a huge fan base and a loyal one at that. Jeff Gordon driving in F1 IMO would at least get a chunk of the NASCAR fans interested out of curiousity's sake. Any exposure F1 gains to new fans and market base is a benefit. Will all of them become loyal fans? Not likely. But some will watch. Bernie cares about TV ratings and Gordon in F1 would boost ratings. Maybe not in Europe, but for sure in North America, which currently has lower viewership compared to Europe. It would pack the USGP as well I think.

All in all, Jeff Gordon's interest has certainly cast a different light on him and I respect him for it. But the chance for benefit in his direction should he accept a race drive is more risky IMO. The pay cut has already been mentioned. He'd have to make a move to Europe (don't make the Michael Andretti mistake) and leave his life here, which I'm sure he enjoys. If he flopped it could tarnish his image as a race driver. But I believe he would relish the challenge and opportunity if it was a genuine competitive drive. Those are my opinions on the subject.

Side note: TeddyG good to you see posting in a thread that doesn't involve JV!
Old 14 May 2004, 20:15 (Ref:971245)   #35
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good post jhansen!

NASCAR fans would flock to see Gordon in an F1 car, and who could blame them? He could single handedly, put F1 on the map here, with alittle success.

I can only imagine the USGP with Jeff in it. It'll look more like the Indy 500! I might have to fight for a parking spot!

Danica Patrick