Old 11 May 2004, 20:32 (Ref:968093)   #1
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Manchester a Hoax???

From Cart-Racing.com:

Champ Car have dismissed reports that originated from Motorsport News’ article that the World Series are looking at a race in Manchester England. According to AutoWeek sources, Champ Car report this as ‘internet bull.’

Given that the story broke in Motorsport News, a leading British weekly motorsport newspaper owned by Haymarket publications (Autosport, F1 Racing, Motor Sport etc…) it is not quite true that the article, which claims that Manchester could host a round of the Champ Car World Series next season, is web rumor gone mad.

It must be said there are enough bogus rumors to keep even the most avid Champ Car fan occupied during the never ending gap between races while certain stars of the series are busy at testing at Indianapolis.

AutoWeek go on to report that there has been ‘discussions in concept’ regarding a street circuit race in Manchester but there is nothing close to a deal in place yet.

They also claim that the idea does not sit well with FOM President Bernie Ecclestone, but given that Champ Car has raced at Rockingham and Brands Hatch in recent years and F1 is only just clinging on to a race at all in the UK, this is a little hard to understand.

So there you have it. An idea that’s being investigated for 2005. Let all just wait and see as not too long from now Champ Car promised a 2005 schedule.

Well, so much for that idea for next year!
Old 11 May 2004, 21:11 (Ref:968130)   #2
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
I am not at all sure that it is bull. maybe someone simply spoke up too soon and this is to put water on the fire and dampen it down while discussions are in place. Bernie would not be happy to see a champcar race take place in England just as he is trying to spook the BRDC into upping the investment at Silverstone. Champcar could easily turn their series into a replacement for F1 if Bernie continues to hog F1 revenues for himself, taking but rarely investing anything back into the business. It's a poor business model and he has done little to enrich the sport globally in all it's forms over the last twenty years.
The golden age of long distance sports car racing is really back in the sixties and seventies.
The World touring car championship lasted two years before it was axed when it looked like it could become really popular (even more so than F1!).
CCWS may end up with a solid set of races in European countries that have lost their GP's and that will not make Mr Ecclestone very happy at all.

Last edited by Teretonga; 11 May 2004 at 21:14.
Old 11 May 2004, 23:12 (Ref:968220)   #3
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think you could have a street race in most British cities because the streets are too narrow and there are loads of traffic islands. They would be better than American ones though because they have better tarmac.
Old 12 May 2004, 05:29 (Ref:968331)   #4
zerO
Veteran

zerO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Teretonga
I am not at all sure that it is bull. maybe someone simply spoke up too soon and this is to put water on the fire and dampen it down while discussions are in place. Bernie would not be happy to see a champcar race take place in England just as he is trying to spook the BRDC into upping the investment at Silverstone. Champcar could easily turn their series into a replacement for F1 if Bernie continues to hog F1 revenues for himself, taking but rarely investing anything back into the business. It's a poor business model and he has done little to enrich the sport globally in all it's forms over the last twenty years.
The golden age of long distance sports car racing is really back in the sixties and seventies.
The World touring car championship lasted two years before it was axed when it looked like it could become really popular (even more so than F1!).
CCWS may end up with a solid set of races in European countries that have lost their GP's and that will not make Mr Ecclestone very happy at all.

That is the outlook that is perceived on the outside, let's not forget that Bernie is very much interested in trying to increase success in the NAFTA territory. There are many ways that all this could work and the most logical solution is for OWRS to work with Bernie when it comes to Champ Car racing in F1 land - and that ideology is already taking place from day one - most evident in recent meeting between Bernie and Pook at Long Beach. And btw, Kalkhoven is much more than a good friend of Bernie.

zerO
Old 12 May 2004, 17:08 (Ref:968928)   #5
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Perhaps Bernie is looking for some sort of alliance with OWRS? Assuming that is because of the new GPWC series starting in 2007.
Old 15 May 2004, 01:51 (Ref:971476)   #6
zerO
Veteran

zerO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Amar7605
Perhaps Bernie is looking for some sort of alliance with OWRS? Assuming that is because of the new GPWC series starting in 2007.
EXACTLY ?! - The GPWC thingy was the #1 reason why Bernie was interested in buying CART to begin with... and now that the resurgence of GPWC looks more likely with each day then at the same time a F1+OWRS coalition seems likely... food for thought...

zerO
Old 15 May 2004, 16:44 (Ref:971790)   #7
cartpix
Racer

cartpix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by zerO
EXACTLY ?! - The GPWC thingy was the #1 reason why Bernie was interested in buying CART to begin with... and now that the resurgence of GPWC looks more likely with each day then at the same time a F1+OWRS coalition seems likely... food for thought...

zerO
Had Bernie been interested, in buying CART, it would have been a done deal. We'd be talking about this, on a different forum. I'm sure he has a non compete clause, in his contract. As a promoter, of F1, I'm sure the powers that be, wouldn't want him to own another series, that would, arguably, devalue F1.

The rumors, of Bernie interested in buying CART, were just that, rumors. Probably started on AR1. Mark C. thinks F1 is the be all, end all, of auto racing. He wants Champ Car to be more & more like F1, every day. You could probably trace most CART / F1 rumors, to him.

Jeff

Last edited by cartpix; 15 May 2004 at 16:47.
Old 15 May 2004, 16:47 (Ref:971793)   #8
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Well it may have been a rumor in the past, and yes it is now. But why was Bernie reported to be at the Long Beach GP last month? I mean, he has a series to run, why would he waste his time going to Long Beach?
Old 15 May 2004, 17:56 (Ref:971823)   #9
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A special act of parliament would be needed to allow a race in Manchester, it is not like when a few roads are clsoed off for a rally, or at least that was the case for Birmingham, and as legislation is notoriously slow in getting passed, 2005 would be a little optimistic.
Old 15 May 2004, 18:06 (Ref:971832)   #10
cartpix
Racer

cartpix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Amar7605
Well it may have been a rumor in the past, and yes it is now. But why was Bernie reported to be at the Long Beach GP last month? I mean, he has a series to run, why would he waste his time going to Long Beach?
Well, I don't think he was there, to buy the series. Maybe he was having a peak, at where he might bring F1 to, when Champ Car's lease, runs out.

Jeff
Old 15 May 2004, 20:38 (Ref:971908)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mcurtis26
A special act of parliament would be needed to allow a race in Manchester, it is not like when a few roads are clsoed off for a rally, or at least that was the case for Birmingham, and as legislation is notoriously slow in getting passed, 2005 would be a little optimistic.
It wouldn't need an act of parliament because the race would be in the car park around the city of manchester stadium.