Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 May 2004, 02:59 (Ref:985679)   #26
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by KC
In that he reminds me of Ralf Schumacher . No flash, no smack running, just out there doing the job and winning.
I didn't know whether to or Although the no flash part is probably right, I daresay Ralfs' performance so far this season doesn't indicate much winning this year either.

Well, I guess Scott knew, by whatever means, that an F1 race seat was a couple of years away at least, so a couple million from Chip is undoubtedly the way to go for now.
Old 28 May 2004, 03:48 (Ref:985692)   #27
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
agreed senna12

job security is a bonus these days.

as for the comparisson to ralf , im sorry but Scott would blow Ralf out of the water.

People keep referring to Scotts CART days but really dont know the context of things that were involved.

point one , his debut year was just that a debut year and he was very good in it as well.

his second year was a disaster because his team (pacwest) was going and eventually went belly up and then he was picked up by ganassi and took time to settle into a new team and then moved to the IRL.

so I think he is spectacular and deserves at least more testing in an F1 car to show the potential he has.
Old 28 May 2004, 06:04 (Ref:985761)   #28
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Note that I'm going to hold his CART performances against him forever, but in his first year Dixon did do pretty well, but keep in mind that his one victory was a situation where he pitted out of sequence on a yellow flag and got brought from the back to the front. He didn't get there because he passed everyone. Second, Pacwest going belly up was the best thing to ever happen to him. He got a ride with Ganassi out of it! Who happened to have the same amount of experience and become his teammate at Ganassi? Junquiera and he whiped the floor with Dixon. Where are all the "Junquiera to F1" posts? If we want direct IRL comparisons where are all the "Hornish and Castro Neves to F1" threads. I think both of them are better than Dixon. I'm not trying to say Dixon couldn't cut it in F1, but I tend to think that drivers should go places based on their merrit.

I know a lot of it comes up because the Kewis and Ausis want it to happen, but there's something to be said for evaluating a driver purely on their abilities compared to others.
Old 28 May 2004, 07:01 (Ref:985786)   #29
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oi, you lot, Dixon will get to F1. That's a fact! Why would Williams have conducted 2 tests with Scott Dixon so far and have a 3rd scheduled?

Scott always said that the most likely route to F1 was to get established in America, and then get involved with a team first as a test driver to learn the circuits before stepping up.
This is typical Dixon - calm, cool in a non-egotistical way, and calculated.

As for the claim that his backers need extra money, that's ********. There is more to this than meets the eye and rest assured, his backers will be near-on fully repaid by now.

Let's just say that the Ganassi deal has an out clause.

Everyone is rapt and the F1 door is still letting a roaring gale through it
Old 28 May 2004, 07:57 (Ref:985820)   #30
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
we will wait and see
Old 28 May 2004, 11:40 (Ref:986125)   #31
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Scott had recieved an offer for 2005 to race for Williams, he'd've defiantely signed it - probably likewise for a testing offer as well, judging by JDI's comments. That tells you that he hasn't bene offered a deal - which makes the idea that he's testing for them again seems a bit strange. Scott's established in the US now as a superstar, and should be as ready as ever to push for an F1 drive.
Old 28 May 2004, 14:14 (Ref:986311)   #32
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
i hope it doesn't end up like Little Al's and Tracy's outings,mwhere they had a big test and then nothing happened. Have to say i'm bit confused as after his performances it hought he was shoe in for a seat?

By the way Snrub, i've already advocated both Sam and Helio for drives. I think Sam would be the best bet for a superstar American F1 driver cos he's brilliant, but nobody really backed me up!

Helio may have missed the boat now. He was on Ron Dennis' books a few years ago and there was all that Jag rumours in late '02 but it came to nothing.

I'd love to see Spiderman jumping up the fences at Monaco and Indy!!
Old 28 May 2004, 19:37 (Ref:986630)   #33
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by chunterer

By the way Snrub, i've already advocated both Sam and Helio for drives. I think Sam would be the best bet for a superstar American F1 driver cos he's brilliant, but nobody really backed me up!
While I agree that Sam and Helio, not to mention Wheldon, Kannan, and Scheckter, would have as good of a shot as Dixon in F1, they don't seem to be looking for it, like Dixon is.

Have you seen how well the top IRL drivers live? Private jets, helicopters, mansions, exotic cars, I mean the works! And the real difference seems to be, they are having fun in the IRL. It really seems to be a brotherhood amongst the drivers, not so much the cold, calculating, win at all costs mentality of F1.

I just don't think they want to go.

Danica Patrick
Old 28 May 2004, 19:59 (Ref:986648)   #34
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1's a good deal safer though
Old 28 May 2004, 20:08 (Ref:986657)   #35
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
F1's a good deal safer though
No arguments there KB.

But I think that the danger is what makes the IRL such a tight-knit community, especially among the drivers. There has to be a high-level of trust to run so close, so fast, and for so long.

Danica Patrick
Old 28 May 2004, 23:15 (Ref:986782)   #36
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't see Dixon going to F1 anytime soon for various reasons. But I would never rule it out as he has time on his side as long as he remains healthy.
Old 29 May 2004, 03:19 (Ref:986874)   #37
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer

I just don't think they want to go.
I'd be very surprised if any of them didn't jump at an F1 drive - probably even as 3rd driver/tester with some sort of race option the next year. Everytime I here " I don't really want to do F1" it seems to come from someone who hasn't been asked!
Does anyone know anyone who has knocked back a (half-decent) F1 drive?
Old 29 May 2004, 03:56 (Ref:986877)   #38
105octane
Veteran

105octane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cant see Dixon making it to F1 either now, if he was that much of a superstar other teams would of been after him as well but unfortunatly there wasnt so i think he is doing the right thing in staying where he is. He will still be on a good earn.
By the way Helio and Sam should of been asked first anyway.
Old 29 May 2004, 04:07 (Ref:986878)   #39
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Errr,he's only interested in a drive with the top 3 teams,he could drive for Minardi tomorrow but he's not interested.He's still only young,and personally I think he'd look better in a red car than a Williams.
Old 29 May 2004, 05:19 (Ref:986893)   #40
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick
I'd be very surprised if any of them didn't jump at an F1 drive - probably even as 3rd driver/tester with some sort of race option the next year. Everytime I here " I don't really want to do F1" it seems to come from someone who hasn't been asked!
Does anyone know anyone who has knocked back a (half-decent) F1 drive?
Very True, everyone and their brother knows F1 is the brass ring and even if you flop, having the cachet of being a former f1 driver always helps in your later business career after your driving is over and can help open doors in other areas too. Also the money is usually better in F1. There are very few in the irl and champcar that make a seven figure salary. Most are on a low end six figure salary with a share of the prize money. It's still a nice earn no doubt, but F1 pays out more in salary, personal sponsorship deals and other perks. Even test drivers in F1 make out good, wurz and delarosa are on over $3mil a year, gene is on over $1 mil+ a year etc.
Old 29 May 2004, 08:15 (Ref:986977)   #41
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Armco, I'm a huge Dixon fan but if he doesn't take any drive he can get - maybe except Minardi (but that didn't hurt Webber, Alonso and others) I think he's crazy. You impress for Jag, Sauber or whoever and you get a shot at Ferrari, highly unlikely to walk straight in there I would have thought.
Old 29 May 2004, 11:55 (Ref:987145)   #42
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
GP, this is a bit off-topic, but Dan Wheldon has said that he would potentially be intereted in F1 if he got a chance. Helio won't ge tthere now, and Sam would struggle to give up all the fame,f ortune and popularity from the IRl to take a big risk in F1. It was the biggest mistake Michael Andretti made, Zanardi likewise. Doing a year's testing first would potentially eman giving up 2 years of success, adn you can struggle to get back into the groove after racing F1 - look how far off the pace Alex was in 2001.
Old 29 May 2004, 15:24 (Ref:987310)   #43
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting insight into Dixon scenario.

Ted

------------
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Toront...29/477633.html

Sat, May 29, 2004
Dixon has issues with F-1
By DEAN MCNULTY, TORONTO SUN

NEGOTIATIONS TO bring Indy Racing League champion Scott Dixon to Formula One's Williams-BMW team in 2005 have hit a snag that will almost certainly kill the deal, The Toronto Sun has learned. Dixon has tested twice for Williams and by all accounts impressed team managers.

OFF THE RAILS

The New Zealand native was scheduled to test again in Europe in July but those plans are most likely now off the rails, Dixon told The Sun in Indianapolis where he is getting ready for tomorrow's Indy 500.

At issue is a demand from Williams that Dixon agree to be a test driver for at least one season, possibly two, before moving up to the F-1 driving ranks.

"Plans for a July test with Williams are not set," Dixon said. "There are some issues we have to deal with."

The 23-year-old Dixon has an impeccable racing record already in his young career.

He won the Indy Lights championship in just his second season and claimed rookie of the year honours in Champ Car in 2002 before winning the IRL title in 2003.

With those kind of credentials it's little wonder that Dixon has caught the attention of F-1 teams.

But racing in F-1 has become as much about who you can bring with you to the team -- namely big name and big money sponsors -- as it does about driving skills.

An IRL driver close to Dixon, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said that Dixon was told Williams was looking at him as a test driver .

The driver said the Dixon's plight is all about F-1 politics.

"If (Dixon) could bring a rich sponsor he would be in the car, there is no doubt in my mind," the driver said.

The driver also said that nationality is an issue in the way F-1 teams pick their drivers.

"There are no F-1 races in New Zealand and very limited marketing opportunities in that country," he said.

A seat with the Williams team is one of the most prized in racing. There is one vacancy for certain, with Juan Pablo Montoya moving to the McLaren team in 2005.

And a recent feud between Williams bosses and Ralf Schumacher is likely to end the German native's stay with the British-based team at the end of this season.

There has been mounting speculation that Mark Webber, who is driving for the Jaguar team this season, has the inside track for at least one of the Williams rides.

Canadian Jacques Villeneuve, a former world champion with Williams, also has been rumoured to be in negotiations to test for the team sometime this season -- probably after F-1 returns to Europe once the Canadian and U.S. Grands Prix are finished next month.

A source told the Sun, however, that a move by Williams to sign a Brazilian driver is not out of the question.

"There have been rumours that officials from Petrobras (Brazil's national oil company) have approached Williams about a deal that would get a young Brazilian driver on the team in return for major sponsorship dollars," the source said.
Old 29 May 2004, 15:39 (Ref:987318)   #44
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by TedN
Interesting insight into Dixon scenario.

Ted

------------
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Toront...29/477633.html

"If (Dixon) could bring a rich sponsor he would be in the car, there is no doubt in my mind," the driver said.
Oh, that's it!

Silly me.

I hadn't realised Frank is looking for a pay-driver.
Old 29 May 2004, 15:49 (Ref:987329)   #45
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Well they are doing the smart thing by offering the test deal. He is clearly not ready and if he really wants F1 than being a test driver is the best option.
Old 29 May 2004, 19:03 (Ref:987487)   #46
Tye
Racer

Canada
Canada
Tye has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Dixon

Quote:
Originally posted by Snrub
I have said it many times, I don't think Dixon is the best canidate to join Williams and I don't think he's the best canidate of those participating in IRL or CART. Frankly I'm glad this announcement came up because I'm tired of reading posts on it. I never understood why there was so much fan enthusiasm for him to come to F1.
I couldn't agree with you more Snrub. There are too many other good drivers out there at the moment. He is still young and has his future ahead of him.

I think that Williams need a driver who can give them results and wins as soon as possible. There has been too much bickering in the garage this year and the team as a whole has suffered as a result of this. If Ralf can't up his game, then get rid of him and get someone who can beat his brother.

Tye