Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Feb 2010, 17:44 (Ref:2641601)   #326
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Red Bull were so much further ahead then Ferrari and McLaren last year though. The 'big two' still needed to play catchup with Red Bull. So I think it is certainly fair to expect RB to be up there fighting for wins right from the beginning of the season.
Old 28 Feb 2010, 18:11 (Ref:2642061)   #327
rallycrosscraig
Racer

rallycrosscraig has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
top 8 cars covered by only 0.5 secs at end of testing!

amazing
Old 28 Feb 2010, 18:25 (Ref:2642065)   #328
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Indeed, bodes well doesn't it, although if they're that close come racing time, margins of error will be at even more of a premium than ever before?
Old 28 Feb 2010, 21:20 (Ref:2642207)   #329
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've got a nagging feeling that it's too good to be true. But the evidence makes for good reading so far

The general mood is this: any of the big 4 could be battling for the win in Bahrain. Ferrari are almost dead certs to be one of the teams battling. It remains to be seen whether the others will. The Red Bull seems to have the pace but not the reliability. The McLaren has been quick at times, especially over the longer runs but you get the impression with comments coming out, especially from Button, and their continued use of weird parts for aero reading, that they may be a tad behind the leading pace, but Michael seems to think they're strong. Probably best not to rule them out just yet, for both Bahrain and the season ahead - it's a long season

I find Mercedes the most intriguing, though - the comments coming out have been curious. One day Michael is saying that they won't be challenging for race wins, the next Rosberg is on top and he's changed his mind and saying they're in better shape than they thought. And then he turns around and says McLaren are very strong. Ross has been playing down expectations too at times. But are they playing mind games? We saw this at Ferrari, particularly in 2004 when they did sod all for the whole winter and then right at the end revealed their hand, and then went to Australia and blitzed the field. They have a new diffuser due for Bahrain, which could give them a few tenths. The way it's going, I think they're either going to have the quickest car in Bahrain and Michael will win, or they'll be in the midfield

I remember in 2006 we all expected there to be 4 teams in contention for the win in Bahrain - Renault, Ferrari, McLaren and Honda. Come Bahrain itself, the former pair seemed a bit clear of Honda, with McLaren being a bit of an enigma as Raikkonen had to start from the back and ended up 3rd. Of course they ended up a bit behind. I think we'll end up with something similar - 2 teams out front a little bit ahead of the next 2. Who that will be I don't know

The midfield battle seems close. Williams, Sauber and Force India all seem to have built quick cars. After Hulkenberg managed expectations earlier in the week, Rubens is now saying they could surprise people. But the car has been a bit unreliable so far too. Sauber's short and long race pace has been promising, whilst the Force India has looked reasonable at times as well and isn't far off the leading pace. Toro Rosso seem better prepared than last year, whilst Renault are a bit of an enigma - some are saying they're dark horses, but the fact is their pace over the winter hasn't been great. They might be hiding something

At the back, initially the Virgin seemed the quicker of the 2 new cars, but the Lotus was more dialled in by the Barcelona test, and it's more reliable. But Virgin are bringing quite a few updates to Bahrain. Neither team looks that far off the pace, though, which is very good for the championship

It's looking like a fantastic season. Less than 2 weeks to go. I really really can't wait. I haven't been this excited since...ooh, last year
Old 28 Feb 2010, 21:51 (Ref:2642242)   #330
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My 2 penn'orth...

I'm thinking at Bahrain it will be Ferrari & McLaren at the sharpest bit of the sharp end, with Red Bull and Mercedes very close behind them. I might even go so far as to say it looks like McLaren might have come out of testing marginally ahead, but it's probably too close to call.

Then, as jab said, you've got Sauber, Williams and Force India. Of those, I'm a little concerned about Sauber's resources for the long haul - then again, the same was true of Brawn last year....

For the rest, I really don't know what to make of Renault at the minute. Toro Rosso look OK, but with two relatively inexperienced drivers will they be able to develop the car effectively?

I've been pleasantly surprised by both Lotus and Virgin - they're nearer the pace than I expected (and please, that's not meant in any kind of disrespectful way. These are brand new F1 teams). I also like the way that both teams are approaching the whole thing - they're obviously doing a professional job, but at the same time they have a refreshingly open and fan friendly air about them. I really hope that they continue to develop well and I'll be following them particularly closely. Looking forward to Jake & co. broadcasting the F1 forum from their areas of the paddock at some point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab
It's looking like a fantastic season. Less than 2 weeks to go. I really really can't wait. I haven't been this excited since...ooh, last year
Indeed
Old 28 Feb 2010, 23:04 (Ref:2642297)   #331
rayburn
Racer

United Kingdom
rayburn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Yes pretty well summed up there jab, I think I would have to agree with the majority of it. One thing I do feel though is, that with the changed regs on refueling this year, it has made it harder to see the true picture. Last year, for instance, it was obvious from the preseason testing that those teams with the DD were quicker than those without, as everyone tested with low fuel in at some point. This year, it is quite possible that one or two teams have not completely shown their hand, as much more focus has been on how the cars handle with the much heavier fuel loads there will be this season.

I do feel though that there will not be much between the top four teams, who between them have what must be the strongest driver line up in years. Bring it on!
Old 1 Mar 2010, 05:31 (Ref:2642445)   #332
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that its anybody's guess as to what's going on amongst the big 4. What's even more intriguing to me is how competitive Williams are turning out to be, and that it seems as though Sauber are maintaining their position amongst the big 4.

I also don't think we're giving enough consideration to the effects of the new rules: Qualifying is seemingly more important due to the lack of opportunity to pass in the pits... However, we also know that performance over a single lap will be pretty meaningless in the long-run of a race distance due to the refueling ban's effect on a race's profile... Top 10 qualifiers have to run on the same rubber to start the race... No more risk-reward calculations of how much fuel to run in qualifying... etc... etc... etc...

With so many balls in the air my gut tells me that the consensus on how to win races won't be settled until well into the season because outright pace is not going to be the key to success as it was before. Fast but neutral cars, setup compromises, adaptive drivers, and effective strategy will be keys to winning.

Isn't this the type of situation in which Ross Brawn distances himself from the others?
Old 1 Mar 2010, 07:31 (Ref:2642471)   #333
ncng
Rookie

United States
Grass Valley, CA
ncng should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams is very impressive, Renault is the most surprising, seems as if Kubica has already given up? Sauber is for real, I still pick Woking or Maranello to stand a-top the podium in Bahrain.

The constructors race could be as good as ever this year with the drivers from Mclaren, Ferrari, Red Bull.

ncng
Old 1 Mar 2010, 18:15 (Ref:2642817)   #334
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jenson must have read my post re: strategy divergence LOL: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81798
Old 1 Mar 2010, 18:39 (Ref:2642841)   #335
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblincoe View Post
Jenson must have read my post re: strategy divergence LOL: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81798
I do hope he is right, sounds like the return to real racing I've been hoping for ever since the wallies in charge turned it into two or three short processions seperated by brief periods of fire risk.
Old 1 Mar 2010, 19:46 (Ref:2642896)   #336
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
I do hope he is right, sounds like the return to real racing I've been hoping for ever since the wallies in charge turned it into two or three short processions seperated by brief periods of fire risk.
Here here.