Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 26 Jul 2013, 06:47 (Ref:3281738)   #376
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
He also says that sacking Steve was one of the hardest decisions that he has ever had to make. It must have been as he couldn't do it when he should have.
He said that he hated ending Steve's career. So Dick, you lost sponsors because you wanted to keep Steve in the seat, but now your saying that he won't be able to pick up another competitive drive ? Why would that be ?
Not good enough ?
To be fair, there's not a large number of drivers his age that get dropped and are able to get another competitive drive.... just ask the litany of very very good drivers the wrong end of their thirties that have suffered the same.

I don't think it takes the most sensitive person in the word to get why sacking your kid would be hard.... However, that aside, in 12 years with DJR there were 3 seasons where Steven's team mates got the better of him and only 1 where the guy who beat him wasn't poached by a "works" team.... Maybe it was a hard decision to make because replacing Steven means replacing him with a Blanchard or a Fiore.....
Old 26 Jul 2013, 09:01 (Ref:3281781)   #377
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd like to think SJ would've performed better this year than Mr Blanchard, but hey, they needed the money.
Old 26 Jul 2013, 12:17 (Ref:3281838)   #378
rpolinski
Racer

Australia
rpolinski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
I'd like to think SJ would've performed better this year than Mr Blanchard, but hey, they needed the money.
I'm more than certain SJ would have done better.
Old 27 Jul 2013, 00:56 (Ref:3282070)   #379
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
From today's Daily Telegraph Here by James Phelps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
TIM BLANCHARD, F
Poor Tim Blanchard has looked out of his depth in a V8 Supercar. The rookie has not enjoyed the best of resources with DJR struggling financially but he still has FPR equipment. New driver Chaz Mostert has really shown Blanchard up with the fellow rookie pushing inside the ten with the same gear. He needs to improve or his V8 career will be over.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 27 Jul 2013, 01:28 (Ref:3282082)   #380
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Phelps
TIM BLANCHARD, F
Poor Tim Blanchard has looked out of his depth in a V8 Supercar. The rookie has not enjoyed the best of resources with DJR struggling financially but he still has FPR equipment. New driver Chaz Mostert has really shown Blanchard up with the fellow rookie pushing inside the ten with the same gear. He needs to improve or his V8 career will be over.
Some fantastic insight again from motor racing expert James Phelps
Old 27 Jul 2013, 04:16 (Ref:3282116)   #381
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Haha couldnt agree more. I am sure Blanchard is worried about Phelps analysis

That said he has written a book now
Old 27 Jul 2013, 07:05 (Ref:3282158)   #382
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
You might argue that based on Mr Blanchard's current performances, that Mr Phelps may not be completely wrong
Old 27 Jul 2013, 07:07 (Ref:3282159)   #383
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
You might argue that based on Mr Blanchard's current performances, that Mr Phelps may not be completely wrong
More like 100% correct.
Old 27 Jul 2013, 07:19 (Ref:3282164)   #384
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Judging by the number of stickers on the 2 DJR cars related to the pilotage of #17, including in the full view of RaceCam, it is more than likely that backing is helping keep both cars' lights on..
Old 27 Jul 2013, 07:26 (Ref:3282166)   #385
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I guess that depends whether Blanchard is getting the same go fast bits, engineering skill and data from the FPR stable that Mostert has.

Like a few others out there, the length of Blanchard's career will mostly be determined by the size of his family/backers chequebook.
Old 27 Jul 2013, 07:41 (Ref:3282168)   #386
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
maybe, maybe not, but James Phelps is not someone who should be making any judgements like he states in his 'article' though
Old 27 Jul 2013, 22:53 (Ref:3282544)   #387
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I hate to admit it because I think Phelps is a tool but he's right on this point. Would like to know how much FPR go fast gear and smarts he gets compared to Moztert but if it's the same then it makes him look even worse.
Old 28 Jul 2013, 00:45 (Ref:3282581)   #388
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
If you take enough shots eventually one will hit the target, however I dont think that justifies the words especially when Phelps has no comprehension of what he is racing nor knowledge of the sport.
Old 28 Jul 2013, 01:33 (Ref:3282599)   #389
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I didnt notice Mr Blanchard at the top of the timesheets in qualifying today...
Old 28 Jul 2013, 03:26 (Ref:3282630)   #390
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Granted today is a new day, but Blanchard was only a couple of spots behind Chaz when he got punted off yesterday. But I'm guessing nobody saw that.
Old 28 Jul 2013, 04:53 (Ref:3282659)   #391
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
I didnt notice Mr Blanchard at the top of the timesheets in qualifying today...
Was he expected to?????????????????????
Old 30 Jul 2013, 04:20 (Ref:3283614)   #392
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
While Chaz is driving for DJR, did you notice the first people he ran to for congratulations post-race were FPR engineers?

FPR are managing him and effectively running him with their people within DJR. I can't speak for what bits they're getting, but as far as factory assistance goes he's got a massive advantage over Blanchard.

That said, I think he's also a far better driver than Blanchard who, while not necessarily out of his depth, is not their on talent.
Old 30 Jul 2013, 04:59 (Ref:3283627)   #393
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
While Chaz is driving for DJR, did you notice the first people he ran to for congratulations post-race were FPR engineers?

FPR are managing him and effectively running him with their people within DJR. I can't speak for what bits they're getting, but as far as factory assistance goes he's got a massive advantage over Blanchard.

That said, I think he's also a far better driver than Blanchard who, while not necessarily out of his depth, is not their on talent.
Bear in mind too that Chaz works in the FPR factory so the FPR guys are more likely to be personal friends.

Agree with the other points you make.
Old 30 Jul 2013, 05:45 (Ref:3283637)   #394
T-star
Racer

T-star should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think...he ran to his Engineer first.

The DJR pits were at the other end of the lane and hadn't made it up there yet. All the big celebratory photos were with DJR uniformed people.
Old 30 Jul 2013, 07:51 (Ref:3283668)   #395
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-star View Post
I think...he ran to his Engineer first.

The DJR pits were at the other end of the lane and hadn't made it up there yet. All the big celebratory photos were with DJR uniformed people.
Doesn't his engineer work in the DJR pit?
Old 1 Aug 2013, 01:48 (Ref:3284458)   #396
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
You can read the first 44 pages of the new book online Here
Old 2 Aug 2013, 12:11 (Ref:3284989)   #397
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, Dick's now laid it all out on the table, no holds barred.

Feel better for guessing DJR's financial predicament?
Did you miss the bit where his superannuation company OWNS the premises?
According to this site, the said premises was sold and leased back.
But not so eh?

Despite the overwhelming criticism and downplay here, DJR are on the rise again, winning the last V8 championship race.

Reminds us when they won the last non-888 championship.

Of course, that wasn't good enough for the knockers back then though; and won't be good enough for the knockers/forum moderators now.

Hopefully DJR's recent uplift in performance will continue furthermore.

Despite Dick's financial Predicament, he's still got the guts to press on, no matter what.

Try to brand Dick's recent efforts as half-hearted, disinterested; well you cannot.
It's all or nothing.
That's how winners roll the dice.
Like it or lump it.
Be a comentator, a nothing nobody, or a winner. An easy decision now in hindsight.

And for all the 'experts' here, I would challenge you to do better than DJR is doing now. And have better experience than 7 championship wins to back it up.

Go DJR.
Old 3 Aug 2013, 07:31 (Ref:3285291)   #398
Dav1s
Rookie

Dav1s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
His car is effectively a FPR car in DJR colours. There is not much similar on it to the junkit poor Jonny Reid was running at the first few rounds. Heres hoping Jonny can redeem himself later this year.

Great to see DJR bounce back with a win, and it is a credit to them for being smart enough to let a guy obviously full of talent in, and bring along some good tech as well
Old 3 Aug 2013, 10:36 (Ref:3285335)   #399
Jam3s
Racer

Jam3s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some serious miss information here. The DJR cars have not changed dramatically since the start of the season and have only "evolved" with a few upgrades as the season has progressed as all teams do. His car and Blanchards are identical and BOTH cars get data and setups from FPR as per their agreement. The only advantage he has is debriefs with FPR engineers however I don't really see how this equates to anything more meaningful than perhaps a better understanding of what the data is saying and how to interpret it to improve lap times.

Oh and FPR have only one engineer in DJR who is the Race Engineer for #12, everyone else is DJR staff.
Old 3 Aug 2013, 23:29 (Ref:3285515)   #400
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In truth though in comparing Blanchard and Reid to Mostert, the DJR cars hit the track exceptionally late without any testing at all, so this definitely needs to be taken into account.