Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 17 Jul 2008, 18:00 (Ref:2252790)   #26
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is going to get very confusing on the day. I normally volounteer via Pam but am not a brdc member so dont have a brdc pass. I was going to contact Pam tommorow but am now confused..

Sounds like those that volunteer via HSCC will sign on and collect their wristband outside of the circuit, to allow them in.

Those that vounteer via brdc will not have a wristband to get into the circuit and so will have to convince the guys on the gate they are not getting in for free!
Old 17 Jul 2008, 19:03 (Ref:2252828)   #27
MarshalMoore
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leicester
MarshalMoore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner
This is going to get very confusing on the day. I normally volounteer via Pam but am not a brdc member so dont have a brdc pass. I was going to contact Pam tommorow but am now confused..

Sounds like those that volunteer via HSCC will sign on and collect their wristband outside of the circuit, to allow them in.

Those that vounteer via brdc will not have a wristband to get into the circuit and so will have to convince the guys on the gate they are not getting in for free!
I'm suggesting that the security on the gate will be told about BRDC Passes? But you know what they are like. No ticket, no entry. When normally you are blatantly waring Orange.

If you don't have a BRDC pass, contact Fay. She may be able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks
Old 17 Jul 2008, 20:05 (Ref:2252880)   #28
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sign on

The usual method for signing on at big events (parking up at Ped bridge and walking to bar/diner),although far from perfect,must be better than this latest method
Might work ok for those arriving on a daily basis but for those staying over,it seems ridiculous that one has to leave the circuit,against the incoming flow,to sign on
....and a suggestion that the campsite might be moving,again ?
What's wrong with sending wristbands/tickets with the finals anyhow ?
Would be really interested in doing all 3 days at this meet,(having done them since Christie's)...but this is putting me off a bit

Not a dig at you Fay btw
Old 18 Jul 2008, 14:13 (Ref:2253366)   #29
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hopefully this is useful info.

I got my instructions from Pam (BRDC) in the post today.

I hope she doesn't mind if I copy them here - hopefully it will help people out. I will quote the most useful and important bits.

"If you are not a member of BRDC Marshals Club then you will need to collect your instructions from the Welcome Centre. It is located in car park 50, you will need to follow the signs from the west 10 entrance off the Dadford Road which will take you there - please see enclosed map" (This is the map linked to in an earlier message on this thread)

Marshals Parking

Due to the busy infield we are requesting that all Marshals should park their cars in the allocated car park on the outside of Copse (follow signage) whilst signing on. Access to the Paddock Bar will be via the Pedestrian Bridge. Once signed on you are free to drive your car to post via the perimeter road. ALL cars must be parked on the OUTSIDE of the circuit you can then walk directly to any infield posts via the track.

Signing-On

Sign on location PADDOCK BAR (not Diner)

(Tony's note - I am assuming we have to sign on EACH SEPERATE DAY?)

Friday 0730 to 0815 (On post 0830)
Saturday 0715 to 0815 (On post 0830)
Sunday 0715 to 0815 (On post 0830)

You will be issued with a "Marshals welcome pack", £5 and a food voucher for each day which can be redeemed at the Paddock Diner or Scarf and Goggles (exc Happy Hour!)

Wristbands

At signing on you will be issued with a a three day wristband which allows access to all areas. It MUST be worn at all times.

Campsite

The Marshals camping facility for this event is combined with the Competitors Motorhome/Camping area in Winter Hills (adjacement to last year's site at Copse Corner). Upon entering the main gate please turn immediately left following perimeter ring road round to Copse tunnel. Approx 50 metres prior to the tunnel on your left hand side is the entrance to the campsite. For your comfort we are providing toilets and showers.

I hope that this info proves useful if you havn't already got it in the post!!

Hopefully this hasn't trodden on anyone's toes by putting this info here.
Old 19 Jul 2008, 07:50 (Ref:2253758)   #30
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks for that.
Old 21 Jul 2008, 12:06 (Ref:2255245)   #31
Fay
Veteran

England
Silverstone
Fay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible-Tones
Hopefully this is useful info.

I got my instructions from Pam (BRDC) in the post today.

I hope she doesn't mind if I copy them here - hopefully it will help people out. I will quote the most useful and important bits.

"If you are not a member of BRDC Marshals Club then you will need to collect your instructions from the Welcome Centre. It is located in car park 50, you will need to follow the signs from the west 10 entrance off the Dadford Road which will take you there - please see enclosed map" (This is the map linked to in an earlier message on this thread)

Marshals Parking

Due to the busy infield we are requesting that all Marshals should park their cars in the allocated car park on the outside of Copse (follow signage) whilst signing on. Access to the Paddock Bar will be via the Pedestrian Bridge. Once signed on you are free to drive your car to post via the perimeter road. ALL cars must be parked on the OUTSIDE of the circuit you can then walk directly to any infield posts via the track.

Signing-On

Sign on location PADDOCK BAR (not Diner)

(Tony's note - I am assuming we have to sign on EACH SEPERATE DAY?)

Friday 0730 to 0815 (On post 0830)
Saturday 0715 to 0815 (On post 0830)
Sunday 0715 to 0815 (On post 0830)

You will be issued with a "Marshals welcome pack", £5 and a food voucher for each day which can be redeemed at the Paddock Diner or Scarf and Goggles (exc Happy Hour!)

Wristbands

At signing on you will be issued with a a three day wristband which allows access to all areas. It MUST be worn at all times.

Campsite

The Marshals camping facility for this event is combined with the Competitors Motorhome/Camping area in Winter Hills (adjacement to last year's site at Copse Corner). Upon entering the main gate please turn immediately left following perimeter ring road round to Copse tunnel. Approx 50 metres prior to the tunnel on your left hand side is the entrance to the campsite. For your comfort we are providing toilets and showers.

I hope that this info proves useful if you havn't already got it in the post!!

Hopefully this hasn't trodden on anyone's toes by putting this info here.
Thank you for posting this. Please remember this is only for ES marshals. All other marshals will be signing on at the welcome centre each day.

As for driving against the flow. There should not be many cars being allowed in and certainly not that early in the morning. As stated previously you can use the minibus to take you from the campsite to the welcome centre (for non ES).

The welcome centre will be open until 10.00 pm each night. On Wednesday they will be open from lunchtime until 10.00 ish.

See you all at the weekend.

Regards

Fay
Old 21 Jul 2008, 18:11 (Ref:2255430)   #32
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Annoyingly a change of roles at work now means I'm on overnight call this weekend, which means I need to be able to get to work within an hour, and Doncaster from Silverstone is slightly outside that (even with empty motorways overnight), so I'll have to return passes and go trucking at Donington instead (which is within dashing distance).

Sorry Fay, I was looking forward to this one so much

Al.
Old 21 Jul 2008, 19:47 (Ref:2255455)   #33
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattt
yea, ive only been driving just about 6 weeks, the furthest i've driven so far is Peterborough - Rockingham which was 35 miles there, Silverstone is 70 miles
Matt - just remember that the public roads are not a race track, so take it easy and get there safely. "More haste, less speed" is not to be forgotten. Best to get there late than to rush and not get there at all.

BTW, I've been driving now for over a quarter of a century (sad when you phrase it like that!) and I have most definitely "slowed down". And I expect numerous remarks to be returned about that....................
Old 21 Jul 2008, 19:58 (Ref:2255462)   #34
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fay,

you're doing a grand job. Don't get too worked up about where, when and how we all sign on - you know as well as I do that it will all work out on the day (well - at least by Sunday). We all look forward to this event, so we are all prepared to put up with a bit of "grief" by the organisers/stasi.

See you in the pub for food over the weekend. We are in a B&B from Thursday. I think you have my mobile number - if not then PM me for it.

Shelagh
Old 21 Jul 2008, 19:58 (Ref:2255463)   #35
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh
Matt - just remember that the public roads are not a race track, so take it easy and get there safely. "More haste, less speed" is not to be forgotten. Best to get there late than to rush and not get there at all.

BTW, I've been driving now for over a quarter of a century (sad when you phrase it like that!) and I have most definitely "slowed down". And I expect numerous remarks to be returned about that....................
And what remarks might they be Shelagh?
Old 21 Jul 2008, 20:00 (Ref:2255465)   #36
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA
And what remarks might they be Shelagh?
Well, Chris, if you have to ask....................................
(you'll note I've gone "cool" about this. Does that say it all?"
Old 21 Jul 2008, 20:18 (Ref:2255475)   #37
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Well, Chris, if you have to ask....................................
(you'll note I've gone "cool" about this. Does that say it all?"
I'll see you this weekend, Bill coming too I take it?

No comments on your driving....for fear of retribution.
Old 21 Jul 2008, 20:22 (Ref:2255481)   #38
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Matt - just remember that the public roads are not a race track, so take it easy and get there safely. "More haste, less speed" is not to be forgotten. Best to get there late than to rush and not get there at all....
Yeah, heard it loads of time and i take notice of it, unlike some people i know.

Im leaving with loads of time to spare, even if this means i'm sat waiting around
Old 21 Jul 2008, 20:31 (Ref:2255492)   #39
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Quote:
Yeah, heard it loads of time and i take notice of it, unlike some people i know.

Im leaving with loads of time to spare, even if this means i'm sat waiting around
Matt,

I just have to have someone to "nag" - and you are tonight's target!

XXXXX
Old 21 Jul 2008, 20:32 (Ref:2255493)   #40
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Matt,

I just have to have someone to "nag" - and you are tonight's target!

XXXXX
Old 21 Jul 2008, 20:33 (Ref:2255495)   #41
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA
I'll see you this weekend, Bill coming too I take it?

No comments on your driving....for fear of retribution.
Of course Bill is coming - who the heck do you think is doing the driving!!!!!

(I will stick with pie deliveries around Silverstone at the 24 hours, so long as I remember where Brooklands is this year!)
Old 21 Jul 2008, 22:36 (Ref:2255562)   #42
MarshalMoore
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leicester
Looking foward to meet. Fay, doing grand job. I received my letter a day after voulenteering.

Matt nice to know you drive safely.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 10:00 (Ref:2255783)   #43
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fay
Final instructions will hopefully be sent out shortly, but I am still waiting for confirmation from HSCC when these will be sent.
Nothing received yet, should i be blaming our postman or are they still on their way?
Cheers, David (and Chrissy)
Old 22 Jul 2008, 11:56 (Ref:2255846)   #44
Alan Crook
Veteran

Alan Crook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David,

Will check tonight if you and Chrissy are on our list, you will need to collect passes etc.at the circuit so just turn up at the welcome centre at 7.30am and you we be OK.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 12:02 (Ref:2255850)   #45
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
Haven't recieved anything yet either
Old 22 Jul 2008, 12:12 (Ref:2255855)   #46
MarshalMoore
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leicester
Quote:
Haven't recieved anything yet either
Same.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 12:40 (Ref:2255872)   #47
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Crook
David,

Will check tonight if you and Chrissy are on our list, you will need to collect passes etc.at the circuit so just turn up at the welcome centre at 7.30am and you we be OK.
Thanks Alan - volunteered by PM to Fay on 15th May, so both should be on the list.

I'm planning to be up there on Thursday night for the memorial event at 6pm so may call in the welcome centre on my way in to pick up whatever is waiting for us.

Will be travelling in & back home each day - with sign on at the entrance, I suppose I can drive straight off to my post each time (unless I want to park somewhere close enough to scoff a Silverstone breakfast first of all?)
Old 22 Jul 2008, 13:19 (Ref:2255900)   #48
Alan Crook
Veteran

All details have been sent out so if you have not recieved any info yet please PM either me or Fay with your name and the days you are marshaling and we will make sure you are added to the list. All tickets are to be collected from the welcome centre on arrival at the circuit. The Welcome centre is accessed via entrance West 10. All ES should have recieved there instructions from Pam.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 15:16 (Ref:2255968)   #49
MarshalMoore
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leicester
Is their anywhere to download final instructions online?

Cheers
Old 24 Jul 2008, 06:48 (Ref:2256979)   #50
Alan Crook
Veteran

Went and checked out Welcome Centre last night very easy should not give anyone any problems. To get to the Welcome Centre follow the signs for West 10 entrance and the signs for Welcome Centre, inside the Welcome Centre is a large sign saying Marshals here you will be given your passes etc.
For anybody camping who needs to sign on each day at the Welcome Centre they can either drive or catch a minibus which will pick up at the campsite and drop them back. Sign on for marshals who volunteered through HSCC will be at the Welcome Centre sign on for ES will be in the Paddock bar.

There are some interesting parades and demos being organised including an attempt at setting a world record for the number of F1 cars on circuit at the same time (hoped to be over 100).

Should be a good weekend see you all there.