Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 May 2015, 05:05 (Ref:3535393)   #26
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug205 View Post
Will never happen.

The services provided by the ABC to regional areas where commercial operations have no interest in (as there is no $$ in it) is reason enough alone. The Coalition cannot afford to lose the votes from the backlash. The ABC also provides the most comprehensive coverage for areas when natural disasters strike and is the go to place for most people. As someone who has been affected by bush fires and the recent east coast storms, the information provided by the ABC has always been invaluable.

They are by no means perfect but having a successful and wide reaching publicly owned broadcaster that is mostly independent of a Government's interference would be an asset to any country. In an age when journalistic standards continue to decline and become more compromised by commercial influence, it is something worth fighting for.

Yes as a public broadcaster they should and are held accountable for any wrong doing and they do so while operating under a tight code of practice that no other media company in this country has to. While companies like News Corp have their own written code of conduct but have no consequences for when it is broken (and is done so on a frequent basis).

Peoples taxes are used for a wide range of things that not everyone agrees with or uses (sporting events like V8 street races being an example to keep this all relevant) but that does not mean it should be stopped or sold off. If you don't like it, just tell yourself your taxes are only going to the schools or hospitals or something!

(For the record I do not work for the ABC in any capacity but I am great believer in a strong, independent, media/news industry that has the capacity to hold public figures to account, can research and break stories that are of a public interest without compromise and is freely available to everyone. It is such an important part of a free society and once it is gone it will be bloody hard to get back)

Rant over
and yet today there is an article available telling us how the ABC is failing rural areas

In my observation The ABC only holds those it doesnt like to account. It failed to discuss the Gillard AWU affair. It failed to discuss the Craig Thompson HSU affair. In fact it was know to campaign against discussion on those issues

Thats not strong, independent, media/news industry that has the capacity to hold public figures to account.

It has failed totally to be independent on Global warming

Sell the ABC and give everyone who cant access it access to Foxtel via satellite , will be cheaper
Old 8 May 2015, 05:36 (Ref:3535400)   #27
pug205
Rookie

pug205 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you have a link to the article to the rural article? I would like to read that.

I do not listen to commercial radio or watch 6pm news but I heard and was able to follow both of the unions stories through the ABC easily. I am sure both had 4 Corner episodes dedicated to them, I know Thompson's did as it was covered ad nauseam. I have also seen plenty of climate change skeptics including Lord Christopher Monckton giving airtime for their views over the years.

Like I said they are not perfect and they do make mistakes but to me their good outweighs their bad and am happy to agree to disagree and leave it be.
Old 8 May 2015, 10:00 (Ref:3535446)   #28
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Good Christ on a stick!

Opened this topic to see what the go is with new manufacturer rumours - my bad.

LOL guys, I think that this thread MAY just have won the gong for the thread that has gone farthest off topic - ever.

For the record, in my personal view there is owner-driven journalistic bias nearly everywhere. The trick is to read or listen to opposite ends of the spectrum so that it kinda balances out.

Other than that, I reckon that any manufacturer considering a jump into the category would probably hold off to see what's happening with Gen 2.
What was the original topic again, I've forgotten reading all this media ownership bullshit.
Old 8 May 2015, 11:34 (Ref:3535476)   #29
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Sell the ABC and give everyone who cant access it access to Foxtel via satellite , will be cheaper
What would that achieve exactly?
Old 10 May 2015, 04:18 (Ref:3536018)   #30
Winston05
Rookie

Australia
Tasmania, Australia
Winston05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hate to take this topic further off track. But let's face it, the topic was already dead, and a decent discussion that generates interest and responses are far and few between in V8 Supercar forums...

I think this says it all:

I make two immediate observations:

1. Peckstar will immediately dismiss the above as "hippie s#it"
2. Everything in the right column are things that result in products being sold, and are influenced and controlled by commercial media. Pretty much everything in the left hand column is real, and will eventually kill us or save us money.

Interestingly, I'm 90% certain that the ABC has covered every topic in the "What you should know about" list. And rather than argue about which ways each side leans politically, perhaps it's worth considering why they have their particular allegiances?

Commercial Media:
- Commercial media's business interests are better supported by the LNP. They like lower taxes for execs and business owners, and LNP policy generally doesn't do a lot to prevent independent media sources from being taken over by the big players in commercial media
- Modern corporations, in general, would rather slit their own wrists than do anything that might make people think about alternatives to their company and what supports their company. Where such companies do something that might be considered "neutral", it's usually only done out of legal necessity or damage control. For an example with regard to commerical media, if the LNP does something really bad that they have to cover, you can be confident that such coverage is designed to minimise the long term impact to the LNP's success at the polling booth
- Where commercial media do something that appears to be truly neutral or independent, there is usually a selfish reason behind it. For example, if you hear about instability within political ranks, you can be confident that the timing of the coverage, how much coverage the issue receives, and which candidate(s) are considered to be the "favoured" option are determined by which outcome would suit the media companies the best

Independent media, such as the ABC:
- In principle, the LNP isn't keen on funding "unnecessary" public services. And from their perspective, what reason is there to keep the ABC? The ABC doesn't serve their interests, and it's a service that could be cut without anybody dying or significant negative effect on the economy. As for Labor, the Greens, and the left-leaning independents, independent media is their best opportunity for "fair" representation to be provided to the masses. So of course these non-right parties support independent media
- With all other issues put aside, government funded media such as the ABC will support the non-LNP aligned parties and independents for one reason: Survival. It makes no sense to support the interests of an organisation that would happily kill it off
- However, unlike the commercial media, it is a government funded organisation, held accountable by the government to the ABC Act (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/C2013C00422/). Therefore it can't deliberately select or manipulate its coverage in the same way that commercial media can.

As for the "quality" of such media, there's plenty of research suggesting that independent media such as the ABC do a much better job of it (search Google Scholar for terms like "journalist quality Australia"). And that is because ABC journalists are allowed to explore a wider range of areas, and have to be more neutral because of the direct government oversight into their work. Any argument that commercial media provides better quality journalism has no factual basis, and only reflects that individual's preference for right-leaning news media content.

On the positive side, control of the news media is increasingly becoming an irrelevant topic. Thanks to social media, does anybody think that any party could get away with crap like the Children Overboard affair? I'd argue that sort of content control would be much harder, if not impossible today. And with social media revealing the truth, isn't choosing your regular media sources more a choice of what kind of content you want, knowing straight away what the political biases will be from that provider?
Old 10 May 2015, 09:53 (Ref:3536055)   #31
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So will there be any new manufacturers in 2016?
Old 10 May 2015, 10:41 (Ref:3536069)   #32
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
So will there be any new manufacturers in 2016?
Presuming Gen2 is still on track, it is more likely to be 2017 Gomick, as the engine equivalency is probably not going to favour a V8 powerplant...

We would know for sure if some Gen2 regulations were out in the open.. but that's a different challenge
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 11 May 2015, 09:00 (Ref:3536386)   #33
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Be good if the Mercs can actually be called Mercs instead of Erebus..
A manufacturers championship would be good too with the highest points finish per make only counting with a simple points place breakdown...
Old 11 May 2015, 11:05 (Ref:3536410)   #34
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All well and good, if Mercedes Benz would actually get on board.
Old 11 May 2015, 11:21 (Ref:3536415)   #35
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
All well and good, if Mercedes Benz would actually get on board.
Just call them Actroses..
Old 11 May 2015, 23:07 (Ref:3536581)   #36
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
So this is different to a "non-factory" holden being called a holden?
Old 11 May 2015, 23:16 (Ref:3536584)   #37
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
from the erebus web site

Quote:
Erebus has revolutionised Motorsport as the first and only team with the Mercedes-Benz marque in the V8 Supercars Championship, competing with the only two E63 AMG vehicles of their type worldwide.
Quote:
Piloting the team’s two Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG V8 Supercars for 2015 is established star Will Davison and rising talent Ash Walsh,
The car has a Mercedes-Benz badge on the front
Old 12 May 2015, 02:38 (Ref:3536623)   #38
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
So this is different to a "non-factory" holden being called a holden?
MBAu has approved the use of the bodywork and the minimalist badging, but that's it.
Old 12 May 2015, 12:02 (Ref:3536730)   #39
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Skaife fires up on formats

Somewhat confused as James Phelps is criticising V8 supercars and its decisions. this cant be right
Old 12 May 2015, 12:19 (Ref:3536738)   #40
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Skaife fires up on formats

Somewhat confused as James Phelps is criticising V8 supercars and its decisions. this cant be right
Mr Skaife is logical in his thinking though, the calendar of events for this weekend is already published, to teams, to the broadcaster, to the fans... so fiddling around with it for this weekend was probably not going to be on..

Talking about changing formats for Saturday SuperSprints doesnt actually seem to have been decided, Mr Phelps talked to a decision being made, except it seems a decision to review had been taken.. with no assurance of action being taken as the review may not warrant it presumably
Old 12 May 2015, 23:05 (Ref:3536889)   #41
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
MBAu has approved the use of the bodywork and the minimalist badging, but that's it.
So it's still a Mercedes isn't it
Old 13 May 2015, 01:15 (Ref:3536913)   #42
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Or is it a COTF?

Mr Phelps comes across fairly awkward on the show. He doesnt have any personal knowledge or opinions but floats in the V8SC breeze. Evidenced by the complete 180 on tyres from last week to this week.

His presence of this show degrades its quality rather adding to it.
Old 13 May 2015, 02:02 (Ref:3536924)   #43
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Or is it a COTF?

Mr Phelps comes across fairly awkward on the show. He doesnt have any personal knowledge or opinions but floats in the V8SC breeze. Evidenced by the complete 180 on tyres from last week to this week.

His presence of this show degrades its quality rather adding to it.
You might imagine that Mr Phelps isnt exactly trained for television, having spent his formative years in the press in a series of newspapers. Arguably no better or worse than Ms Crehan, and she has been around the circus and in front of the camera for more years than he has...

The funny thing with broadcasters is that they can switch off their own opinions very very well. Mr Rust for example, is a great student of the sport, and is across who's who in the zoo, and the ramifications of sponsors or teams or drivers or tracks or formats.. and yet is more than happy to stick to the script than share his personal view.

Primarily because its not his role to be an expert commentator, instead to be more the mediator between the brand name titans..
Old 13 May 2015, 02:54 (Ref:3536931)   #44
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
You might imagine that Mr Phelps isnt exactly trained for television, having spent his formative years in the press in a series of newspapers. Arguably no better or worse than Ms Crehan, and she has been around the circus and in front of the camera for more years than he has.....

You might imagine that Mr Phelps isn't exactly trained for journalism either....I'm not surprised that this big exclusive about a new manufacturer turned out to be nothing from Phelps, it's pretty much his m.o.
Old 13 May 2015, 04:46 (Ref:3536942)   #45
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
You might imagine that Mr Phelps isnt exactly trained for television,
He doesnt need to be trained in television. He needs to be trained in motorsport - my biggest issue is that he is clueless but acts as a mouthpiece for V8SC.

Phelps involvement actually reduces credibility for journalists and the series.
Old 13 May 2015, 06:29 (Ref:3536960)   #46
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
His book about The Bay was pretty good though. I feel a bit sorry for him being thrust in front of the cameras for the first time. Seems to be trying a bit too hard. Just relax a bit....oh and have something useful to say.
Old 13 May 2015, 06:49 (Ref:3536963)   #47
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
He doesnt need to be trained in television. He needs to be trained in motorsport - my biggest issue is that he is clueless but acts as a mouthpiece for V8SC.
100% in agreeance here

I was slightly amused when Mr Phelps said that he's fine with Chaz Mostert to get his $500,000 per season... what happens when he isn't "fine" with another drivers salary?

Last edited by one five five; 13 May 2015 at 06:55.