Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 May 2015, 00:55 (Ref:3534162)   #1
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
'New Manufacturer To V8SC' - Inside Supercar

I dont know if it is related to this but News Limited journalist James Phelps will feature on the panel for the first time, sharing an exclusive manufacturer announcement

Exclusive news tonight on Inside Supercars
Old 5 May 2015, 07:24 (Ref:3534229)   #2
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
If he's pushing more hearsay on Lexus then I'm going to post him a kick in the nuts.
Really are we doing this again after the hype before the Safety Car announcement?
Old 5 May 2015, 10:29 (Ref:3534280)   #3
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
I dont know if it is related to this but News Limited journalist James Phelps will feature on the panel for the first time, sharing an exclusive manufacturer announcement

After all that the 'Exclusive' was seemingly that the Nissan boss said that they might be open to the idea of running a GTR body in 2017....

Rick Kelly (who you would assume would be more in the know on this topic) quickly dampened it down, saying the Altima was more relevant to racing against Commodore's and Volvo S60's.... what amused me was that they tried to present the story as a 'surprise' to Mr Kelly.... but he said a decision would be a while off

There was little more info on the Ford Dealer Team....so little infact that it makes one wonder if someone was flying a kyte with the whole story.....
Old 5 May 2015, 11:12 (Ref:3534292)   #4
glenn_a
Racer

Australia
not far from the paddocks of Oran Park
glenn_a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

You lost me at James Phelps.
Old 5 May 2015, 11:12 (Ref:3534293)   #5
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Mustang speculation
Old 5 May 2015, 11:43 (Ref:3534302)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And here goes the silliness of Gen2... throwing away 4 years of technical development on a CotF platform to go to something that has yet to raise its head above the concept stage
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 5 May 2015, 13:08 (Ref:3534322)   #7
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn_a View Post
You lost me at James Phelps.
That was ugly television.

Is James Phelps meant to be a journalist or is he employed to do PR for V8SC?
Old 7 May 2015, 01:52 (Ref:3534993)   #8
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gee those bits of information warranted their own thread.
Old 7 May 2015, 05:10 (Ref:3535022)   #9
pug205
Rookie

pug205 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Is James Phelps meant to be a journalist or is he employed to do PR for V8SC?
It is a tough call as a journalist is meant to fact check a story and ensure that all details are as correct as possible and use them to form an article free of internal or external influences.

A News Limited journalist will fact check a story and ensure all details are correct as possible and then use them sparely to form an article that follows their companies predetermined agenda and beliefs.

A PR person will say and do anything to attract attention to their employer or client's organisation. Stories can be made out of anything and should be as vague enough to not have to hold up to any scrutiny but generate excitement. Facts are irrelevant and the word exclusive should be used at every opportunity even when no other media organisation is interested in the story anyway.

So yeah it is a bit of a grey area that one.

Last edited by pug205; 7 May 2015 at 05:16.
Old 7 May 2015, 05:29 (Ref:3535026)   #10
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug205 View Post
It is a tough call as a journalist is meant to fact check a story and ensure that all details are as correct as possible and use them to form an article free of internal or external influences.

A News Limited journalist will fact check a story and ensure all details are correct as possible and then use them sparely to form an article that follows their companies predetermined agenda and beliefs.

A PR person will say and do anything to attract attention to their employer or client's organisation. Stories can be made out of anything and should be as vague enough to not have to hold up to any scrutiny but generate excitement. Facts are irrelevant and the word exclusive should be used at every opportunity even when no other media organisation is interested in the story anyway.

Are you sure you are not confusing News Corp journalists with ABC ones. ABC journalists are the ones to form an article that follows a predetermined agenda and beliefs
Old 7 May 2015, 05:40 (Ref:3535029)   #11
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You would think that one of the first ports of call on any GTR story might be the Kelly brothers....... I'm not sure how he thought he might ever have 'surprised' Kelly with this news, considering the way the interview that supposedly revealed this revelation occured in the open in the Kelly garage....

Quote:
Are you sure you are not confusing News Corp journalists with ABC ones. ABC journalists are the ones to form an article that follows a predetermined agenda and beliefs
You obviously haven't read "The Daily Telegraph" very much....
Old 7 May 2015, 05:46 (Ref:3535031)   #12
pug205
Rookie

Quote:
Nope no confusion, I was talking about News Corp.
Old 7 May 2015, 05:49 (Ref:3535032)   #13
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
You would think that one of the first ports of call on any GTR story might be the Kelly brothers....... I'm not sure how he thought he might ever have 'surprised' Kelly with this news, considering the way the interview that supposedly revealed this revelation occured in the open in the Kelly garage....

You obviously haven't read "The Daily Telegraph" very much....
You obviusly havent read or watched the ABC very much. Much lower standards than the telegraph
Old 7 May 2015, 06:24 (Ref:3535042)   #14
pug205
Rookie

The irony in the use of the word "obviusly" in that statement is just pure gold

But your probably right - if the ABC would get out the gutter we could start getting quality journalism from them like this:
Old 7 May 2015, 06:26 (Ref:3535043)   #15
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug205 View Post

I guess my concern is that journalists shouldn't by nature (or ethics) be partaking in PR.

Clearly Mr Phelps is.

The timing of these "exclusives" almost seems a strategy to try and bury or deflect attention from the shocking ratings & crowds over the weekend.
Old 7 May 2015, 06:47 (Ref:3535050)   #16
pug205
Rookie

I agree they shouldn't be crossing that line. Such a thing is disservice to the journalist, their employer and even the sport they are supporting. If there was an official arrangement between Phelps and V8SC and it is not being declared then that could be a breach of media/journalism codes of practice.

Even with such close ties with the NRL, News Corp will still call the sport out when it does something wrong as well as discuss the issues it is facing. Weird that Phelps does not do such a thing with his V8 coverage.

Last edited by pug205; 7 May 2015 at 06:52.
Old 7 May 2015, 21:46 (Ref:3535274)   #17
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Well..... I'm glad that you cleared that up for us. We can now read a News Corp rag, believing that all the articles have been compiled by journos free from influence, with no prior agenda or direction from management. Thank you.
Old 7 May 2015, 21:50 (Ref:3535275)   #18
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
Well..... I'm glad that you cleared that up for us. We can now read a News Corp rag, believing that all the articles have been compiled by journos free from influence, with no prior agenda or direction from management. Thank you.
you cant believe that about any journalist. in fact in the same way you cant belive that about any poster on here.

Th key difference between ABC and News Corp is that news corp will print information from the opposition side. the ABC wont.

At least News Corp show more than a token interest in motorsport
Old 8 May 2015, 00:52 (Ref:3535326)   #19
pug205
Rookie

Quote:
another quality rebuttal, see porsche signature for what that means
Your right I apologies. Let me try it again:

Your post is factually incorrect and therefore is easily dismissed as nothing more than an opinion. That is perfectly fine to have, after all everyone has one and they do not always match to other peoples. Being free to air them is one of the great things about this country after all.

But such things should not be presented as facts however when there is no evidence to back up such a claim as it can lead to embarrassment to the one making them.

Something that News Corp's own hobby journalist Andrew Bolt knows all to well about for example
Old 8 May 2015, 03:05 (Ref:3535361)   #20
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The key difference between ABC and News Corp is that news corp will print information from the opposition side. the ABC wont.
That's easily the most ridiculous statement I have heard in a long time.

We all know Aunty leans a bit to the left nowadays, but they will still happily call out pollies from either side who've done wrong or done nothing at all for that matter.

The level of bias from Murdoch newspapers nowadays is unprecedented in the free world. You have to read state owned papers from a totalitarian dictatorship to see a greater level of bias. I actually feel sorry for the people who have to write those papers, how do they look at themselves in the mirror each morning?
Old 8 May 2015, 03:13 (Ref:3535365)   #21
bortall
Racer

Australia
West Gippsland
bortall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there really anyone who still reads News Corp papers anyway???
Old 8 May 2015, 03:22 (Ref:3535368)   #22
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
That's easily the most ridiculous statement I have heard in a long time.

We all know Aunty leans a bit to the left nowadays, but they will still happily call out pollies from either side who've done wrong or done nothing at all for that matter.

The level of bias from Murdoch newspapers nowadays is unprecedented in the free world. You have to read state owned papers from a totalitarian dictatorship to see a greater level of bias. I actually feel sorry for the people who have to write those papers, how do they look at themselves in the mirror each morning?
without any facts, according to Pug, thats called opinion.

ABC reporters seem to have no issues taking taxpayers monies (thats yours and mine) to provide their biased view (which you admitted).
Time to sell the ABC, the bygone relic. No longer required
Old 8 May 2015, 03:26 (Ref:3535371)   #23
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortall View Post
Is there really anyone who still reads News Corp papers anyway???
your real question is does anyone read the paper anymore, definitely on its way out

News corp is more than papers though
Old 8 May 2015, 04:48 (Ref:3535390)   #24
pug205
Rookie

Quote:
Time to sell the ABC, the bygone relic. No longer required
Will never happen.

The services provided by the ABC to regional areas where commercial operations have no interest in (as there is no $$ in it) is reason enough alone. The Coalition cannot afford to lose the votes from the backlash. The ABC also provides the most comprehensive coverage for areas when natural disasters strike and is the go to place for most people. As someone who has been affected by bush fires and the recent east coast storms, the information provided by the ABC has always been invaluable.

They are by no means perfect but having a successful and wide reaching publicly owned broadcaster that is mostly independent of a Government's interference would be an asset to any country. In an age when journalistic standards continue to decline and become more compromised by commercial influence, it is something worth fighting for.

Yes as a public broadcaster they should and are held accountable for any wrong doing and they do so while operating under a tight code of practice that no other media company in this country has to. While companies like News Corp have their own written code of conduct but have no consequences for when it is broken (and is done so on a frequent basis).

Peoples taxes are used for a wide range of things that not everyone agrees with or uses (sporting events like V8 street races being an example to keep this all relevant) but that does not mean it should be stopped or sold off. If you don't like it, just tell yourself your taxes are only going to the schools or hospitals or something!

(For the record I do not work for the ABC in any capacity but I am great believer in a strong, independent, media/news industry that has the capacity to hold public figures to account, can research and break stories that are of a public interest without compromise and is freely available to everyone. It is such an important part of a free society and once it is gone it will be bloody hard to get back)

Rant over
Old 8 May 2015, 05:01 (Ref:3535392)   #25
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Good Christ on a stick!

Opened this topic to see what the go is with new manufacturer rumours - my bad.

LOL guys, I think that this thread MAY just have won the gong for the thread that has gone farthest off topic - ever.

For the record, in my personal view there is owner-driven journalistic bias nearly everywhere. The trick is to read or listen to opposite ends of the spectrum so that it kinda balances out.

Other than that, I reckon that any manufacturer considering a jump into the category would probably hold off to see what's happening with Gen 2.