Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 1 Oct 2004, 08:46 (Ref:1112036)   #26
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it worth while going to the trouble of filling a form in if the gran prix is in doubt?
Old 1 Oct 2004, 09:23 (Ref:1112083)   #27
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Yes, I think you should fill it in and wait and see what happens. I beileve the GP will go ahead next year but time will tell.
Old 1 Oct 2004, 13:43 (Ref:1112377)   #28
anna_blakemore
Racer

anna_blakemore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should we???

Should we apply for the 2005 british GP or not? What are your thoughts?
Old 1 Oct 2004, 13:51 (Ref:1112383)   #29
Alan Crook
Veteran

Alan Crook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes as Silvestone has only been left off the provisional calendar, apply as though it is going to happen.
Old 1 Oct 2004, 14:00 (Ref:1112395)   #30
pixie
Racer

pixie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does this mean that your going into training Stephen for the 100yd dash ?
Old 1 Oct 2004, 14:13 (Ref:1112411)   #31
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Indeed :rollover:
Old 1 Oct 2004, 14:24 (Ref:1112419)   #32
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Um...not to be rude, but if the past few years are anything to go by, would it not be possible to volunteer right up until the last few weeks before the GP? The days of it being oversubscribed with marshal applications have been gone for a while, if conversations here are anything to go by.

Is it necessary to decide now?
Old 1 Oct 2004, 14:29 (Ref:1112423)   #33
Stevespurr
Veteran

Thanks for that Stephen I will sort the family out and start filling forms out.
Old 1 Oct 2004, 14:33 (Ref:1112427)   #34
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If there's a risk that the event might be short of marshals Anna might not want to attend anyway
Old 1 Oct 2004, 14:36 (Ref:1112431)   #35
garybirch
Racer

England
Taunton, Somerset UK
garybirch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heard on the news that next year Silverstone is off the callendar? Is that right?
Old 1 Oct 2004, 14:41 (Ref:1112438)   #36
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
its not on the provisional calender Gary but I suspect by the time the final calender is released it will be back in place (fingers crossed)
Old 1 Oct 2004, 14:42 (Ref:1112440)   #37
Stevespurr
Veteran

I asked in March last year 2003 and was refused.
Old 1 Oct 2004, 14:45 (Ref:1112444)   #38
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I've merged these two threads as they are both talking about whether to volunteer for next years GP or not....
Old 1 Oct 2004, 14:48 (Ref:1112445)   #39
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Bizarrely, even thought I don't live in the UK, I still do enough UK marshalling dates to qualify. However, since I've yet to hear anyone say anything good about the GP I'll save my money for visiting a UK event that I know I'll enjoy!
Old 1 Oct 2004, 17:04 (Ref:1112584)   #40
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
Gridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi
If the GP is cancelled perhaps we could still all turn up and have a wake with a large bonfire and if we can’t get Bernie in person we could burn an effigy. Anyone want to put there name down now?
Old 1 Oct 2004, 21:18 (Ref:1112812)   #41
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MSA STATEMENT REGARDING THE BRITISH GRAND PRIX

The Motor Sports Association, as the governing body of UK motor sport, is greatly concerned at the announcement made yesterday that the British Grand Prix will not appear on the provisional 2005 Formula One calendar to be presented to the FIA World Motor Sports Council for ratification on 13 October.

John Grant, Chairman of the MSA, says that the MSA will continue to work urgently with the parties involved to seek a financial solution and that, as a member of the FIA World Motor Sport Council, he will argue strongly that the British Grand Prix should be retained on the F1 calendar.

“It is not just the British fans who want to see a Grand Prix at Silverstone,” says Grant. “For the majority of the race teams, their sponsors and the vehicle manufacturers involved in F1, it is important to be able to promote their products in the major established markets such as Britain, as well as in the newer, emerging economies. It has also become clear over the last few years that the circuit at Silverstone provides one of the best racing spectacles of the F1 season for worldwide TV audiences with its fast, challenging corners and superb overtaking opportunities.

“It is widely acknowledged that the British Grand Prix makes a significant direct contribution to the UK economy each year and that it is an important flagship for the hugely successful British motor sports industry. We seem to have arrived in the situation where a funding shortfall of some £2-3 million a year is standing in the way of retaining an iconic event which is vital for our sport, which directly contributes some £40 million a year to the local economy and the Government’s tax revenues, and which is needed to sustain the prestige of an industry that is responsible for international trade worth in excess of £3 billion pounds annually.

“With a bit of goodwill, we are hopeful that a constructive solution can be found to the benefit of British motor sport, the British economy and F1. There is still time to work this out, and the MSA will work urgently with all the relevant parties to help retain the British Grand Prix at Silverstone for the foreseeable future.”

Release MSA04-032: 1 October 2004
Old 1 Oct 2004, 22:00 (Ref:1112844)   #42
jim69
Racer

jim69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe we should tell the FIA, and Bernie to shove the whole thing up his rse. cancel all tv coverage in the UK as well. Then see what happens to the sponsership ect. It seems to me that there is some arm twisting, or even, in my opinion some form of financial blackmail going on. Perhaps even if it was put on the calender all the marshals should boycot it anyway. The financial side is destroying the sport.
Old 2 Oct 2004, 23:02 (Ref:1113628)   #43
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Who needs a GP? Just release 22 Irish priests...

Sorry, Stephen!
Old 3 Oct 2004, 00:23 (Ref:1113651)   #44
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One horses head coming up for Gridlock's bed I see.
Old 3 Oct 2004, 10:21 (Ref:1113851)   #45
Flag Wave
Rookie

Flag Wave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jim hi. Just read your remarks and well what can say.

We could also do what the French did in France a couple of years back, blockade the track who needs 22 Irish priests!!!

Will Bernie get the message!!!!!!oh yes!!
Old 3 Oct 2004, 10:30 (Ref:1113858)   #46
petestenning
Veteran

petestenning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps we should all go to a good clubbie on the day , at least we dont have to pander to the money men and have overtaking yipes that and all
And we can see the drivers too without being harrassed by security men. Wonder why i have not done a GP since the 80s
Old 3 Oct 2004, 17:05 (Ref:1114111)   #47
jim69
Racer

jim69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I marsaled for about 20 years. However I never did a GP. The off track activities always sounded great, however the bull that was involved with the marshaling never appealed. I am sure that motorsport in this country will not suffer from the loss of the GP. Surely the clubs can organise a great days motorsport on that date.
Old 3 Oct 2004, 18:04 (Ref:1114165)   #48
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have heard of a mega event that might be in the pipeline...however its not been confirmed yet so I can't say anything!
Old 3 Oct 2004, 18:43 (Ref:1114196)   #49
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the date does stay / get on the calendar for July 3, there's going to be Days of Thunder at Rockingham that weekend as a possible alternative.

Al.
Old 3 Oct 2004, 19:58 (Ref:1114245)   #50
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EvilPumpkin
Bizarrely, even thought I don't live in the UK, I still do enough UK marshalling dates to qualify. However, since I've yet to hear anyone say anything good about the GP I'll save my money for visiting a UK event that I know I'll enjoy!
Does this mean that you may actually be joining us for the 100th anniversary of the World Famous Shelsley Walsh??

At least it would give Woolley and I the chance to repay the fabulous hospitality shown to us by yourself, Magneton and the rest of the Irish contingent!!

(if any of you others reading this have ever considered making the trip to Mondello, then..........

DO IT !!!!!! you will enjoy it!!

Last edited by Stuart Hill; 3 Oct 2004 at 19:59.