Old 20 Feb 2010, 12:11 (Ref:2636967)   #51
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The Lola; you can't beat English engineering.
You can - German engineering
Anyway, the Lola is the car to go or even better non spec chassis regs
Old 21 Feb 2010, 00:17 (Ref:2637365)   #52
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The Delta Wing is perfect, except it's ugly. Or should I say, it doesn't look like a formula car should look like. The rest is perfect, but far from enough. I agree that it would keep people interested for years and revolutionize the sport, but anyway I don't like it.

My favourite is the Lola. The Dallara 1 and 2 have interesting pieces (rear wing, D2's airbox) but don't add one, so they are second. The Swifts and Dallara 3 are strange and get the bottom places.
Old 21 Feb 2010, 13:56 (Ref:2637678)   #53
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
My vote goes to the Panoz DP01... wait that wasn't an option. I guess I'll choose the Lola.
Old 21 Feb 2010, 14:57 (Ref:2637696)   #54
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger80 View Post
You can - German engineering
Anyway, the Lola is the car to go or even better non spec chassis regs
I've yet to see German engineering make an impression outside of Le Mans and ALMS.
Old 21 Feb 2010, 15:55 (Ref:2637726)   #55
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have come rather late to this thread but have just voted Lola. As a follower of open wheel racing I'd obviously have to stop watching if any of the other designs were chosen!

Seriously though the design of open wheeled cars has developed in response to a specific technical challenge; having got to this point make it a spec series based on this solution if you must. However if you want to completely change the cars like this you should set a new technical challenge and let a number of designers compete in a genuine competitve racing enviroment over several seasons in order to develop this new concept.

For clarity by technical challenge I mean a set of technical regulations for the cars and some information about the tracks on which they will compete.

Arbitrarily announcing that you have to race some bizzarre creation without a body of real world engineering experience around it is a piece of nonsense and any race series that does that deserves to go bust for lack of interest.

Just my opinion of course.

Last edited by fourWheelDrift; 21 Feb 2010 at 15:58. Reason: Made a mess of it the first time ;-)
Old 21 Feb 2010, 17:57 (Ref:2637779)   #56
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
If I'm not mistaken, Porsche engines were in the 1984-1985 F1 McLarens. They also probably had a good unit for CART, except that the big, established teams didn't want them coming in and messing up their status quo.
Old 21 Feb 2010, 18:58 (Ref:2637811)   #57
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Porsche engines were in the 1984-1985 F1 McLarens. They also probably had a good unit for CART, except that the big, established teams didn't want them coming in and messing up their status quo.
The engine used by McLaren was designed to John Barnard's specifications. He was McLarens's designer. It was funded by TAG, Techniques d'Avant Garde, and badged with "made by Porsche".

During the USAC period Porsche entered their own car and engine for Interscope Racing but the other USAC teams were unhappy with the boost level the Porsche produced. Wrangling and disagreement led it to being shelved. In the CART era Porsche produced a V8 in 1988 along with their own chassis. The only wins came when the engine was used in a March chassis.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 23:55 (Ref:2638695)   #58
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are they just giving the rights too one manufacturer?? We don't want a spec series let all four build cars!!
Old 23 Feb 2010, 09:16 (Ref:2638888)   #59
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
Are they just giving the rights too one manufacturer?? We don't want a spec series let all four build cars!!
No one wants a spec series, however the costs and the economic situation may not allow for more than one chassis, in which case the best choice would be the Lola.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 15:27 (Ref:2639112)   #60
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The engine used by McLaren was designed to John Barnard's specifications. He was McLarens's designer. It was funded by TAG, Techniques d'Avant Garde, and badged with "made by Porsche".
IMHO, that gives Mr. Barnard way too much credit and not enough to Porsche and engine management partner Bosch. While he may have defined the basic requirements of the engine (probably for packaging purposes), it was up to Porsche and others to take those requirements and make a working and winning engine. It's not like Barnard just gave them a design and they just machined parts and assembled it. Consider today's F1 engines in which the spec is VERY tight, but yet you still have some that are good and some that are bad. So in short, I say +1 for Porsche and Bosch (and German engineering) with respect to the TAG F1 engine.

With that said, I voted for the Lola.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 15:50 (Ref:2639127)   #61
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
John Barnard wanted a particular engine requirement and certainly specified the layout of the engine so it would fit in the car; originally the Porsche flat 6 was to be used but didn't fit with the cars aerodynamics. I suppose alot of the credit goes to TAG for funding the whole project.

Anycase back to the thread. I think the Lola offers the best all round package especially if the IRL decides to go for a spec series, which I really hope it doesn't.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 16:47 (Ref:2639159)   #62
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Concept #5 coming next week.

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/n...next-week.html
Old 23 Feb 2010, 17:12 (Ref:2639180)   #63
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post

There's a problem with that link. You wanted this link instead. http://www.racecar-engineering.com/n...next-week.html
Old 23 Feb 2010, 19:17 (Ref:2639262)   #64
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree with what Gil de Ferran said. Whatever they come up with it has to be the fastest single seater in the states.
I simply dont believe the Delta Wing would generate enough corner speeds, although i want to.
So in that case i go for the Lola.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 19:35 (Ref:2639276)   #65
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BAT group will be the best of the lot.

IICS has a real problem.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 22:08 (Ref:2639356)   #66
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
They certainly have a fantastic combined history.
Old 25 Feb 2010, 17:45 (Ref:2640450)   #67
cthib10
Racer

United States
Florida
cthib10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really like the design of the Swift and I wanted to pick it but I think I have to go with Lola which seems more pratical.
Old 25 Feb 2010, 18:42 (Ref:2640478)   #68
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Oval Office, Episode 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Rg9...layer_embedded
Old 25 Feb 2010, 21:32 (Ref:2640567)   #69
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing beats the Lola.
Old 26 Feb 2010, 20:40 (Ref:2641141)   #70
bil588
Veteran

United States
bil588 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like several aspects from all four companies so far, but I do

not

want

a

spec

chassis

for

2012. Period.
Old 4 Mar 2010, 00:00 (Ref:2644491)   #71
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really will a spec chassis help the Indy car series? Not inthe long run not again. The defacto spec in the Lola in CC And the DP01 were great cars andlookedgood doing it but the time for an open battle of engines and drivers and chassis is on Indy . It's been 100 years do something crazy for one season and let it be sorted out. This is racing and Indy for crying out loud not nascar
Old 4 Mar 2010, 13:49 (Ref:2644822)   #72
mz2k
Racer

United States
mz2k has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
After taking much time to mull things over, I picked the Delta Wing.

It's the only one that is a potential game changer.
Old 6 Mar 2010, 09:26 (Ref:2645997)   #73
marcostraz
Veteran

marcostraz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About BAT project, I like the lateral view of the car...I don't like the two "arms" coming out from the body...
Old 6 Mar 2010, 12:49 (Ref:2646067)   #74
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
I like the BAT mobile. It has a great pedigree and I think you can't beat English engineering when it comes to designing race cars and engines.
Old 14 Mar 2010, 04:24 (Ref:2651425)   #75
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
John Barnard wanted a particular engine requirement and certainly specified the layout of the engine so it would fit in the car; originally the Porsche flat 6 was to be used but didn't fit with the cars aerodynamics. I suppose alot of the credit goes to TAG for funding the whole project.

I never heard of the classic flat 6 being cosnidered for F1, especially sleeved down to 1.5 litres. Are you thinking perhaps of the USAC engine used briefly by the Interscope team?