Dallara (either of the 3) 10 10.99%
Lola 45 49.45%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16 Feb 2010, 18:37 (Ref:2634520)   #1
DanJR1
Racer

DanJR1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which car?

suprised someone hasnt done this already but here we go!
Old 16 Feb 2010, 18:44 (Ref:2634525)   #2
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dallara #3 is distinctive enough to help create a new image for IndyCar. The design is evolutionary enough to enable competition with old chassis still on track.

Dallara is fully up to speed on the requirements of IndyCar Series venues, and has pledged to build a new facility in Indianapolis. They are a good choice, and a safe choice.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 18:59 (Ref:2634538)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Delta wing:

Swift:

Dallara 1:

Dallara 2:

Dallara 3:

Lola:

Sorry for the inconsistent picture sizes.
There are other versions of most, but that gives you an idea...

I'm up for something totally different and I like the idea that the concept wins, but all are allow to build versions of it.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 19:16 (Ref:2634549)   #4
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My vote goes to the Panoz DP01... wait that wasn't an option. I guess I'll choose the Lola.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 19:22 (Ref:2634556)   #5
marcostraz
Veteran

marcostraz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My favourite is Lola...I like its design similar to Indy cars of the 90s and the possibility to be adapted to the Indy Lights...
Old 16 Feb 2010, 19:38 (Ref:2634568)   #6
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as I love the Swift.. Lola.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 20:24 (Ref:2634588)   #7
Historic Team Tiga
Rookie

Historic Team Tiga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come on chaps.
These are 3D MAX models and sketches.
Not very good ones.
We can knock one of those renders up in about an hour.
Don't get too excited and start thinking there is anything real going on here.
Just a few nargs trying out their modelling skills.
I mean ... look closely..eg. the wing endplates on the red car.
Jeez.
...and the model of the wedge thing?
Reminds me of when poor old Noel Edmonds got taken in by the plonkers with the transatlantic race boat proposition.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 20:49 (Ref:2634601)   #8
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Of those renders, Dallara 2. I have no idea how that Delta Wing would drive, but I don't think the answer is very well. Unlike the suits in the IRL, "must look like something out of WipeOut" is not one of my criteria.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 21:00 (Ref:2634610)   #9
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm with my 7 year old son, the delta wing looks cool, I'd love it to actually work...
Old 16 Feb 2010, 21:31 (Ref:2634633)   #10
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Delta Wing.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 21:49 (Ref:2634637)   #11
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Lola; you can't beat English engineering.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 22:17 (Ref:2634647)   #12
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
I'm with my 7 year old son, the delta wing looks cool, I'd love it to actually work...
My 7 year old little brother thinks so too, I told him to leave my room.

Old 16 Feb 2010, 22:26 (Ref:2634654)   #13
Kai
Racer

United States
San Francisco
Kai has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Lola. After that, Swift.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 23:48 (Ref:2634695)   #14
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
someone on the MWM listeners collective called the Delta Wing the ''Delta Wang'' which I thought was genious.
Old 17 Feb 2010, 00:14 (Ref:2634711)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Historic Team Tiga View Post
Come on chaps.
These are 3D MAX models and sketches.
Not very good ones.
Don't get too excited and start thinking there is anything real going on here.
Just a few nargs trying out their modelling skills.
I mean ... look closely..eg. the wing endplates on the red car.
Jeez.
...and the model of the wedge thing?
Reminds me of when poor old Noel Edmonds got taken in by the plonkers with the transatlantic race boat proposition.
Welcome to 10-10ths.

Quite agree they are all just mock-ups of varying degrees of effort. However it allows us to gauge what people are looking for. Even if this is just bases on looks rather than design.

I want something different. I loved some of the '90s stuff too, as mentioned above, but that was the '90s. It is clear the design won't happen organically, so might as well go mad and have something different.
Old 17 Feb 2010, 00:36 (Ref:2634723)   #16
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Historic Team Tiga View Post
Ok, you got an hour.
Old 17 Feb 2010, 00:55 (Ref:2634733)   #17
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No "Anything but Delta Wing" option?

Dallara it is, then. Specifically either 1 or 2. 3 looks a bit naff. The Swift's pretty cool as well, preferably the one in the bottom left corner of the pic posted
Old 17 Feb 2010, 01:36 (Ref:2634743)   #18
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Historic Team Tiga,

A bit of background on that name if you please?
Old 17 Feb 2010, 01:48 (Ref:2634745)   #19
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA

Hey Tiga,

What's the yellow car?

Old 17 Feb 2010, 02:10 (Ref:2634749)   #20
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
To JagTech:

I'm still waiting for a reply to my question on the - Interesting Item on New Chassis in Indy Star - thread.
Old 17 Feb 2010, 02:43 (Ref:2634755)   #21
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
LOLA. This is supposed to be OPEN wheel racing.
Old 17 Feb 2010, 03:17 (Ref:2634763)   #22
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
2.3 Liters or less:

AER P0 17 2.0L
Mazda MZR-R 2.0L
Ford Duratec 2.3L
GM Ecotec 2.2L
Toyota 503E 2.1L
Subaru EJ20 2.29L

Candidates:
Audi TFSI 2.0L
Ford EcoBoost 2.0L
BMW 2.0L

That's good enough for starters. The Ecotec would be my first choice: fully factory developed, off-the-shelf factory performance parts.

But the low center of gravity provided by the Subaru engine would make it an interesting choice, particularly for a central tunnel design like the Delta Wing...and possibly Dallara #3.
Old 17 Feb 2010, 03:27 (Ref:2634767)   #23
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
In your post #83 on the - Interesting Item on New Chassis in Indy Star - thread, you quoted me:
"...the IRL looking to various maufacturers to design and build a new engine."

and you replied:
"And those manufacturers would be....nobody. The last of the talkers just left the table, unless there is some very intense and very secret negotiation underway."

So where have all these other engine manufacturers come from?

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 17 Feb 2010 at 03:54. Reason: addendum
Old 17 Feb 2010, 03:53 (Ref:2634770)   #24
flyingmonkey
Rookie

flyingmonkey has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Lola definately.

The delta wing would be great if:

-The wheels were outset from the body
-It was shorter
-You got rid of the vertical stabilizer
-You added wings
Old 17 Feb 2010, 04:28 (Ref:2634781)   #25
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
IICS held engine summits and private negotiations with major auto manufacturers and some racing engine builders (Ilmor, Cosworth, Menards would be examples). At first, their was a lot of representation.

Last fall, Brian Barnhart said the list was at four... and he was counting VW/ Porsche/ Audi as three, with Honda as the fourth. Honda wants to build a V6.

VW/ Porsche/ Audi dropped out. Barhart now says there are two manufacturers interested. Maybe Fiat is still talking, or Alfa, who knows. I'm sure Honda is still #1. IICS is apparently waiting for a major auto manufacturer to do the R&D, and probably pump money into the IICS to boot.

That doesn't mean there aren't independant engine builders already preparing 4 cyl. racing engines. There are plenty. Bowlby went to ARE, that's because the weight is lowest and he needed that to fit his restrictive design criteria. I will GUESS that, by no small margin, the $140K figure he stated is far higher than most of those I mentioned.

By the way, Menard's Race Engines was purchased by a U.S. group today, which supposedly includes Davey Hamilton. The Mayor of Indy and a business development group had visited Menard's last fall. I expect that points to an Indy facility in the future...perhaps to build engines at the request of Delta, since their web of allies appears to be quite extensive.

That will be the last homework assignment I complete on your behalf johnson. Happy researching.

Last edited by JagtechOhio; 17 Feb 2010 at 04:42.