Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who is the best driver in Formula One today?
Michael Schumacher 30 50.00%
Juan Pablo Montoya 18 30.00%
Jacques Villeneuve 9 15.00%
Eddie Irvine (every poll should have a joke in it) 1 1.67%
Other 2 3.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 Jan 2003, 10:29 (Ref:462593)   #51
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
One driver has won 5 WDC's so far,One driver has won 1 WDC and done nothing else since,the other 2 will never win the WDC,easy poll wasn't it then.
Old 3 Jan 2003, 11:09 (Ref:462625)   #52
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
so true!
Old 3 Jan 2003, 23:23 (Ref:463170)   #53
rollhoop
Rookie

rollhoop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Put Schumi in a Minardi and he's mediocre at best!!! JPM could win 5 WDC in todays Ferrari.
Old 3 Jan 2003, 23:31 (Ref:463183)   #54
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I disagree. Schumi would beat Montoya's *** any day in that Ferrari.
Old 4 Jan 2003, 00:12 (Ref:463233)   #55
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah in THAT Ferrari perhaps. The god damn car's been built round him. Stick them both in a drivers car, say the 1982 Ferrari, and you may well get a different result.
Old 4 Jan 2003, 00:15 (Ref:463238)   #56
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kex
I disagree. Schumi would beat Montoya's *** any day in that Ferrari.
Rubens is a good driver, but not regarded as one of the best and he got fairly close to Michael (although not in final points total admittidly, but closer than previous seasons) so i'm sure that Michael wouldn't beat Montoya's arse.
Old 4 Jan 2003, 00:31 (Ref:463262)   #57
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
(although not in final points total admittidly, but closer than previous seasons)
Actually he was beaten by 67 points, same as last year. The closest he got was 46 points behind in his first year.

I agree though, Rubins was closer in reality this year, but I'm not sure what proportion should be attributed to the car's improvement than his own.

Michael would beat Montoya today (in any car IMO) but Monty would make it both closer and great deal more interesting than Rubins could.
Old 4 Jan 2003, 03:34 (Ref:463316)   #58
TheGreatJuan
Racer

TheGreatJuan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
TheGreatJuan is'nt doing himself or his hero any favors lately is he.

Reminds me of a schumacher fan who's name escapes me. I kept thinking 'shut up - your not helping him'

GreatJuan, some of your posts do make you look ignorant and/or blinded by your Juan obsession. Take it easy buddy, most here already think he's the ant's pants. Comments like that just make you look silly.
What the hell is wrong with you moderator. What happened to the "attack the post not the poster" rule?

At the end of the day it is evident that Schumi has done nothing without Brawn-Byrne mobiles and his teammate under severe restrictions to race him. That is a huge advantage and cannot be excluded from a fair evaluation of his talent. I happen to think that Yoong would do just as well with such a treatment.
Old 4 Jan 2003, 04:01 (Ref:463322)   #59
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I would tend to disagree there. Part of Michael's talent is his ability to get the most out of the machinery when he needs to, and as little as he needs when he doesn't, and still win. It is called racecraft. He is using the best car - and what a compliment to say it has been designed around him, seeing as how it is the best car - to the maximum advantage. RB got close, not because he is anywhere near Michael's level, but because Michael was going as fast as he needed to. It took Mansell years to learn that and RB is certainly no Mansell.

Yoong would do much better in the F2002, but unless Michael, JPM, Kimi et al were locked in a hotel room for the season, he would never be WDC.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 4 Jan 2003, 11:53 (Ref:463467)   #60
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnSSC

Yoong would do much better in the F2002, but unless Michael, JPM, Kimi et al were locked in a hotel room for the season, he would never be WDC.
Imagine that eh!
Kimi would sit in the corner quietly, leaving JPM and Michael at logger heads with each other. Big Brother gone wrong!!
Old 4 Jan 2003, 12:21 (Ref:463483)   #61
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the subject of Jacques getting not a lot of votes.... I'm inclined to think it's because we're being honest. Jacques is very close. Maybe has more natural talent than MS, but lacks more in another essentials of being a race driver. Of course, if we had to choose "Who's the driver that has crashed less for WDC" we'd get different votings...
Old 4 Jan 2003, 12:30 (Ref:463491)   #62
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
.....and another Poll on WDC has been the biggest sell-out?
Old 4 Jan 2003, 13:53 (Ref:463530)   #63
TheGreatJuan
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnSSC
Schumi would not do as well as he does if he didn't have a mediocre teammate under severe orders to be a lackey and the other few talented drivers stuck in cars that 2 seconds slower than the Ferrari.
Old 4 Jan 2003, 13:55 (Ref:463531)   #64
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Greatone, you keep quoting this 'second advantage' statistic, do you have a source or is it made up?
Old 4 Jan 2003, 15:42 (Ref:463608)   #65
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by TheGreatJuan
Schumi would not do as well as he does if he didn't have a mediocre teammate under severe orders to be a lackey and the other few talented drivers stuck in cars that 2 seconds slower than the Ferrari.
And has JPM whipped the pants off his teammate, who you yourself claim is so terrible? No... so I guess at least Michael can soundly beat HIS mediocre teammate...

Old 4 Jan 2003, 16:02 (Ref:463619)   #66
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
theres still no sign of jv doing it, but i wonder if jpm could become wdc after dragging his team from this...
Old 4 Jan 2003, 16:03 (Ref:463620)   #67
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
to this...
Old 4 Jan 2003, 16:04 (Ref:463622)   #68
kdr
Veteran

maybe jpm will become wdc in a car he'll inherit from tgf?
Old 4 Jan 2003, 16:15 (Ref:463629)   #69
TheGreatJuan
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
theres still no sign of jv doing it, but i wonder if jpm could become wdc after dragging his team from this...
I think only Brawn and Byrne get the credit from building a car that even Yoong would let himself drive to the title
Old 4 Jan 2003, 16:19 (Ref:463633)   #70
kdr
Veteran

williams should sack patrick head and sam michaels now...seeing as all those poles in 2002 are down to jpm alone.

Last edited by kdr; 4 Jan 2003 at 16:20.
Old 4 Jan 2003, 16:41 (Ref:463653)   #71
TheGreatJuan
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
williams should sack patrick head and sam michaels now...seeing as all those poles in 2002 are down to jpm alone.
Only Juan and BMW saved Williams from fighting with BARs and Minardis. I think BMW considering building their own team says more tham 1000 words.
Old 4 Jan 2003, 17:11 (Ref:463673)   #72
kdr
Veteran

and ralf...he won a race for them.
Old 4 Jan 2003, 21:29 (Ref:463838)   #73
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by TheGreatJuan
Only Juan and BMW saved Williams from fighting with BARs and Minardis.
May I remind you that in 2002 Ralf scored more points than Sauber, Jordan, Jaguar, BAR, Minardi, Toyota and Arrows together (just like Juan)?

And that in 2001 Ralf scored more points than Sauber and Jordan together, and Jordan, BAR and Benetton together, and BAR, Benetton, Jaguar, Prost, Arrows and Minardi together (unlike Juan)?

Or are you trying to tell us that BMW is the only reason Williams was able to contract a driver as good as Ralf?
Old 4 Jan 2003, 23:11 (Ref:463941)   #74
TheGreatJuan
Racer

No. All those things you mentioned are because of the BMW. The 7 poles are down to Juan's out of this world talent.
Old 5 Jan 2003, 02:05 (Ref:464079)   #75
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Hmmm, so when he does'nt so well, it's the car, and when he does do well, it's talent. Amazing. Throw him in the Minardi and let him do it again.