Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 24 Jun 2003, 15:16 (Ref:641541)   #51
jonathanc
Racer

jonathanc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One simple rule would be look out for the yellow/black cross and assume they cant see you.
Old 24 Jun 2003, 15:16 (Ref:641540)   #52
jonathanc
Racer

jonathanc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One simple rule would be look out for the yellow/black cross and assume they cant see you.
Old 24 Jun 2003, 16:10 (Ref:641582)   #53
Bostik
Racer

Bostik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not so simple - for example, the rookie driver that was the subject of this debate was at Brands coming down from Druids and into Graham Hill Bend - and a pack of four cars came up swiftly behind him - so he braked mid-corner on the racing line - they just went round him, over him, through him, etc and this was happening all through the race. The problem is that the guy at the back of the pack is unsighted and this all makes for some heartstopping moments. In the first race the poor chap was lapped by 17 cars 4 times, by 4 cars 3 times, by 1 car twice and by one car once. His very best lap was 10 seconds off the pace.
I wonder if he actually enjoyed being mugged 83 times in one race!
Old 24 Jun 2003, 16:14 (Ref:641587)   #54
PenelopePitstop
Racer

European Union
PenelopePitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did a 2 driver Enduro race at Silverstone this weekend and we got lapped 4 times, so I speak with experiance. There was a chap at Abbey on the way out of the hairpin, who seemed to have Blue flag waving down to an art. If it was obvious that I had seen a car no flag, if it was not obvious Blue Flag, if there were multiple cars passing waved blue flag & if I was being engulfed by cars on all sides the guy waved the flag so hard I thought he would dislocate his arm sockets. Maybe we should find him I get him to compile a training video.
Old 24 Jun 2003, 23:35 (Ref:642118)   #55
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's how it's supposed to be done. We don't always get it right (It's much harder than it looks) but the intention is there (no it wasn't me at Silverstone, so I'm not claiming it!). More to the point, it's very nice to hear the feedback that says you're noticing the differences when racing, because it's not easy to be sure from our side if what we think is a clear signal really is.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 07:33 (Ref:642306)   #56
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we had this bloke in the Porsches who was way slow like that and in the end we were going to tell him to eff off but he had the decency to roll it at paddock in the nick of time!
Old 25 Jun 2003, 07:41 (Ref:642315)   #57
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ghinzani, was telling him to eff off the best you could manage between you all? Could none of you run to offering some advice?
Old 25 Jun 2003, 08:05 (Ref:642345)   #58
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Too right Bob!

Ghinzani, at the top level of the sport we need to weed out the "just not up to its" but at club level, the more the merrier, everyone's welcome i say, talented or not, if they're obeying the rules and having fun, they''ve got just as much right to be there as you have.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 17:07 (Ref:642831)   #59
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No seriously people tried, he did'nt have the balls for it then the turbo caught him out, he got sideways , hit the kerbs and rolled off into oblivion. Still he could tell his mates he'd had to give up racing due to a huge smash. Surely some of you Brands regulars remember the car? I think it was brown - back in the early 90s in the Pirelli startup series IIRC.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 19:04 (Ref:642967)   #60
terje
Rookie

United Kingdom
In two-part foam
terje should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the world karting champs in Genk a few years ago they introduced a rule where if you were about to be lapped you received what was the equivalent of a black flag so that you didn't interfere with the leaders.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 19:43 (Ref:643004)   #61
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
yeah but this ain't top flight karting - and I hope it never get like any form of karting as I rarley see a 100% freindly meeting.
Old 25 Jun 2003, 21:04 (Ref:643091)   #62
FilW
Racer

FilW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With reference to moving off line when being lapped surely the positon on the track and how much warning the lapped driver had would dictate, to a certain extent, what he would do? I am a very new racer and have had the pleasure? of being lapped on a number of occasions. If I see blue flags & faster cars coming up behind me on a straight I'll lift slightly and let them go round, as advised by the COC at Donington when I asked him. If they catch me mid corner then it's up to them to decide what to do, I drive my car as fast as I can and consider myself to be as 'committed' any other driver. I try and drive to the limit of my cars ability and mine (mostly mine) and would not want to unbalance the car mid corner by trying to lift or change line. Sliding sideways into the leader would not go down well
There doesn't seem to be a concensus of opinion here but I hope that some of the experianced drivers just go and see how the new boy is doing and offer him some help or advice if he needs it. He is almost definately s**tting himself!!
Old 26 Jun 2003, 02:10 (Ref:643299)   #63
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fil, you've made agood point here, if you're watching the mirrors and see the quick guy before he gets to you, you set yourself up for him to go by quickly, easily and safely, by choosing where to place your car, rolling off the throttle and indicating to him what side you want him to pass on.

If however, he's on top of you before you see him, then it's best to just stay where you are and don't move from one side to another.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 08:41 (Ref:643454)   #64
terje
Rookie

United Kingdom
In two-part foam
Quote:
Originally posted by ss_collins
yeah but this ain't top flight karting - and I hope it never get like any form of karting as I rarley see a 100% freindly meeting.
And you think that car meetings are 100% friendly??!
Old 26 Jun 2003, 09:10 (Ref:643475)   #65
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
terje, your not meant to count some of the parents in the equation.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 11:33 (Ref:643613)   #66
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've been to lots of 100% freindly car meetings - I've never been to a kart race that hasn't had at least a chunk of acrimony.
Old 26 Jun 2003, 12:39 (Ref:643690)   #67
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've seen lots meetings that are 100% friendly...ok there is rivaly going on but it always friendly doesn't usually get nasty!
Old 26 Jun 2003, 13:29 (Ref:643724)   #68
terje
Rookie

United Kingdom
In two-part foam
Karting only gets heated because the racing is so close, unlike other forms of motorsport! Anyway i think we're missing the point of this thread!!
Old 26 Jun 2003, 13:49 (Ref:643740)   #69
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I disagree...anyway, let's get back to the thread topic.