Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 21 Jan 2006, 19:35 (Ref:1506214)   #76
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good edit, AF! However, although this was one of the plans (the pits on the other side of the track), chances are slim this will be realised, because it's too expensive.
Old 21 Jan 2006, 20:02 (Ref:1506229)   #77
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't the plan to do that now? The real plans. Change the side of the pitlane?
Old 21 Jan 2006, 20:51 (Ref:1506252)   #78
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no no i heard they were scrapped, getting rid of bassa and having a 1K straight, thus allowing them to have more room on the curent side of the track.
Old 21 Jan 2006, 21:02 (Ref:1506261)   #79
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see. Cool, cheers mate.
Old 21 Jan 2006, 21:04 (Ref:1506265)   #80
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no problem mate keeping cool yer ?
Old 21 Jan 2006, 21:18 (Ref:1506270)   #81
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
Yeah i'm cool mate talk soon dude...
Old 21 Jan 2006, 21:26 (Ref:1506275)   #82
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Old 22 Jan 2006, 00:46 (Ref:1506378)   #83
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Martin-the reason why Tamburello will never be reinstated is because it has become almost a worldwide example of what can happen when nobody cares about safety, or doesn't take it seriously enough. The current corner is seen almost as the 'solution' to this problem. I shows that they do care. It may be stupid, but because it was Senna who died there, not just 'any old driver' it has so much symbolism that no matter how safe it is it will never be changed.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 22 Jan 2006, 00:52 (Ref:1506384)   #84
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a good point, and let's remember that racing cars are so much more safer than they were back then that even if the same accident happened again, it wouldn't be fatal, i'm sure of that.
Old 22 Jan 2006, 01:19 (Ref:1506396)   #85
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The thing is though, it was basically the same as 130R at Suzuka but less tighter. Both had little run off and a flat out corner after a straight and a passing zone doesn't usually have accidents espcially at high speed but if something was to go wrong in the car like for Senna or maybe McNish I can't remember if it was mechanical or not but they were unusual accidents that happened in the wrong place at the wrong time with no run off at all. Now as McNish thankfuully wasn't killed, they still made it less tighter to improve the run off so I beleive the main reason why Tamburello will never be like it's flat out kink or anything near to it like a clone wiill never happen as Senna was killed there.
Old 22 Jan 2006, 01:25 (Ref:1506399)   #86
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah it's simply because it was Senna really, some of the edits here where the corner begins earlier in the track goes straight up bypassing villeneuve chicane , becuase there would be ample runoff then...
Old 22 Jan 2006, 01:43 (Ref:1506410)   #87
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
Yeah, I see your point guys. But, imo - the great man himself would turn in his grave if he knew that his death, also - killed the corner.
Old 22 Jan 2006, 06:09 (Ref:1506441)   #88
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Luke and AF, so what is the difference between Tamburello (Ayrton Seena) and Eau Rouge (Stefan Bellof)? I don't really see the difference. Even with the added run-off, if something goes wrong in Eau Rouge, you WILL have a HEAVY impact with something solid.

Those were just the two most prominent examples off the top of my head. You've mentioned 130R already. What about Clearways and Paddock Hill at Brands Hatch, the Esses and final turn at Road Atlanta, the Kink at Road America, and I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting.

We shouldn't be destroying great corners and circuits. Make what is there as safe as is reasonably possible, and retain the challenge. The drivers know it is dangerous. That is not to say there is an excuse, but we do what we can without ruining what we have created, and they can we reasonably assured and confident that they are facing a real challenge, which is the whole point, is it not? In addition, retaining those chicanes perpetuates the overreaction, and creates greater acceptance of such actions in the future, which I do not believe is what we want, or what is good for the sport. And the drivers, at least the ones who really care, would not want the challenge to be so diminished.
Old 22 Jan 2006, 11:08 (Ref:1506525)   #89
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Purist with Eau Rouge it used to be a tighter corner with no run off, now it is an easy flat out kink that has lost it's challenge with an asphalt run off. The reason why it hasn't changed is because as I said eariler it was because it wasn't Senna who died there I hate to say that but I think that is the reason.
Old 22 Jan 2006, 12:46 (Ref:1506579)   #90
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
It is the reason Luke. But the point I think Purist was trying to make, and i'd echo it - is that it shouldn't be that way. I don't believe Ayrton Senna, would have wished for the changes to Imola. They were a good idea in 1995, ten years is a long time - I think it's time, we took a step for the better - re-alligned Tamburello with better safety features, and rename it Senna.

We should also rename Villeneuve, Ratzenberger. And - give Villenueve another corner on the circuit.

Guys, this is what we should do. For silly reasons, we're restricted.

Politically based decisions such as this, are so wrong. Imola, back as it was would be great.

As for Eau Rouge. Well, Fisichella had a strong impact there last year - it could still issue a punishment if something went wrong.
Old 22 Jan 2006, 13:09 (Ref:1506598)   #91
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Basically I would hate it to be designed totaly new, it's a a classic circuit and if it is changed again into what modern circuits are like and it loses it's character espcially with asphalt run offs I would much rather it go back to it's old form, and I take it they can't increase the run off at Tamburello because that is where Senna was killed and there is a statue of him on the other sied of the fence that would be wrong to move right?

BTW this forum is awesome at the moment.
Old 22 Jan 2006, 15:53 (Ref:1506733)   #92
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Guys, get yourselves an Autosport subscription. Well worth the money!

There were two plans, according to the Autosport article: one in which the pits and paddock would be moved to the other side of the track and one in which the Variante Bassa would be removed in order to create more room for pits and, more importantly, paddock on the current side (outside) of the track. The first plan would require quite a large investment, while the second plan would be relatively cheap.

From the article:
"The project, funded with 10 million euro allocated by the Italian government at the end of last year, is likely to go ahead and will involve moving the pit building further away from the Santerno river and expanding it to become 280 metres in length and 18 in width, also allowing for larger and more numerous team garages. With works at the circuit predicted to start around next October and to be completed before the 2007 GP, Imola mayor Massimo Marchignoli hopes the project will be approved by the end of March.”

“Federico Bendinelli, president of Sagis, the group which operates the circuit: ‘What we are putting at the town's disposal is a part of our project, in particular the structure of the new pits. This includes new race control, a press room with space for 600-650 journalists, a photographers' room, a new and much larger hospitality area and, obviously, new garages, with two more than what's there at the moment.’”
Old 22 Jan 2006, 21:13 (Ref:1506924)   #93
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
The thing is though, it was basically the same as 130R at Suzuka but less tighter. Both had little run off and a flat out corner after a straight and a passing zone doesn't usually have accidents espcially at high speed but if something was to go wrong in the car like for Senna or maybe McNish I can't remember if it was mechanical or not but they were unusual accidents that happened in the wrong place at the wrong time with no run off at all. Now as McNish thankfuully wasn't killed, they still made it less tighter to improve the run off so I beleive the main reason why Tamburello will never be like it's flat out kink or anything near to it like a clone wiill never happen as Senna was killed there.
I remember when mcnish crashed... I went away for one minuite and when I came back there was a space in the barrirer and a smoking crumpled toyota. Not nice.
Old 22 Jan 2006, 21:33 (Ref:1506935)   #94
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
That reminds me of another accident, anyone remember Burti's crash at Blanchimont at Spa in 2001? One of the main reasons why he was injured in that accidnet is that there wasnt a cover over the tyre wall, so he went straight into them. What i'm trying to say is that that accidnet was possibly at a higher speed that what the drivers would be taking the reformed tamburello (or senna) at, so even if a similar accident happened, with the way the barriers are now, the driver should be able to walk away.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 14:45 (Ref:1592793)   #95
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Is this the new chicane at Imola in Google Earth?

Old 23 Apr 2006, 15:38 (Ref:1592847)   #96
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No... Dont think so, I can't see the straight in between.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 15:51 (Ref:1592859)   #97
Jam35
Rookie

Wales
Caerdydd
Jam35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lustigson
Now Autosport.com confirms there's a major revamp planned for Imola. Moving the pits and paddock to the inside of the track is off, however. The Variante Bassa will be removed and straightened to make more room for pits buildings and paddock.
And I've just created a very silly edit with a straight (!) after Rivazza (or should I say before Rivazza, as it'd run the wrong way?). It's really more of a lets play with some ideas edit rather than a serious proposal, but the result's quite interesting:
Old 23 Apr 2006, 15:52 (Ref:1592861)   #98
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lustigson
Is this the new chicane at Imola in Google Earth?

That looks alot like Variante Alta, but I could be wrong.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 15:54 (Ref:1592866)   #99
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Eh... it is. They changed it for today's race. I was just wondering if this image is the new chicane or the old. I think the former, since Google Earth reports the image is from 2006.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 16:21 (Ref:1592913)   #100
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
It's the old one. The curbs aren't adjacent on the new chicane.